Blocked dryer exhaust sparked fire at Lawrence apartment clubhouse

An obstructed dryer exhaust outlet caused last week’s fire at the clubhouse of a Lawrence apartment complex, investigators say.

The accidental fire was reported about 2:25 p.m. June 29 in the attic of the clubhouse and leasing office of Village 1 apartments at 2411 Louisiana St. It was brought under control quickly and no one was hurt.

The dryer outlet overheated and the hot pipe caused insulation to smolder and catch surrounding materials on fire, Division Chief and Fire Marshal James King of Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical said this week via email.

King said the fire caused an estimated $7,500 in damage to the building and $200 to its contents.


Welcome to the new Our old commenting system has been replaced with Facebook Comments. There is no longer a separate username and password login step. If you are already signed into Facebook within your browser, you will be able to comment. If you do not have a Facebook account and do not wish to create one, you will not be able to comment on stories.