Archive for Sunday, September 3, 2017

One person killed, two injured in North Lawrence motel shooting

Lawrence Police Department officers remained on the scene Sunday morning of the Motel 6 in North Lawrence the scene of a fatal shooting late Saturday night.

September 3, 2017, 8:05 a.m. Updated September 3, 2017, 10:30 a.m.

A shooting at Motel 6 in North Lawrence has left one person dead and two others in the hospital, according to the Lawrence Police Department.

Shots were fired inside the motel at 1130 N. Third St. at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday, according to the press release. According to the police department, police responding to a report of a shooting inside the motel found three shooting victims.

One of the victims, 23-year-old Cameron A. Hooks, of Lenexa, died from his injuries, police said. Two other victims were transported to area hospitals with possible life-threatening injuries, according to police.

Radio traffic also indicated several suspects left the scene. Police have not yet provided additional information about any suspects in the crime and whether they have been apprehended. Radio traffic also indicated that some of the shots may have been fired outside the hotel. According to the radio traffic, at least three vehicles were damaged with broken glass or bullet holes. Police said the investigation into the incident is ongoing.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact the Lawrence Police Department at 785-832-7509 or Crime Stoppers of Lawrence and Douglas County at 785-843-TIPS (8477), where tips can be made anonymously.

Check back later as more details become available.

Comments

Scott Callahan 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Great. Guns. We need more guns. And idiots to shoot them.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Tens of millions of law-abiding Americans who own firearms had perfectly normal days yesterday. I'm going to speculate that drugs were involved in this crime.

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree with Mr. Smith. Guns are tools, they can be used for good or evil. Every time they are used for evil, liberals blame the gun, the tool, not the evil people misusing them. A crime involving a gun is the only one where I see this. When a knife, hammer, or vase is used they aren't blamed to the degree guns are. It is evil people that should be blamed, not any instrument they may use, but this will never dawn on liberals.

Cait McKnelly 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Knives, hammers and vases have multiple purposes other than killing people. Guns have one purpose and one purpose alone; to kill. It's a tool whose sole purpose is to kill. If you're ok with that, then fine. I'm not.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 2 weeks ago

And what happens in so called "accidents"? If the gun isn't responsible, then a person is. But people are seldom prosecuted for leaving their guns, so children can get them, or jokingly pointing a gun they thought was unloaded at a friend, or not checking their guns when they clean them. You aren't required to have liability insurance, like you do in a car. If you accidentally shoot someone or kill their child, you aren't legally responsible to pay the hospital or funeral expenses, until you get sued.

But this is the world you have chosen, Charles. I hope you like it, because I don't. You wanted everyone to have a gun, with or without training, with or without a background check. Do you feel free now? Do you feel free to send your child to a friend's house, without knowing whether there is a responsible gun owner there or an "accident" waiting to happen. If it's your kid, would you just consider it "collateral" damage?

Matt Brown 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy & Cait, I know this may shock you, but one of the fondest memories that I have of my grandfather was the times that our friends and family used to get together and have skeet shoots. As near as I can remember everyone had a great time. It was something that we did several times a year. I am also 100% sure that nothing was killed and no one was hurt.

Shooting sports are a big industry that many people participate it. Competitions are held all over the US at all times of the year and nothing is killed. Just turn on your TV and go to an outdoors channel, or just go to Cabela’s or BassPro shops and look around in the shooting departments. The Olympics even have multiple events that involve shooting/Guns and they award medals for these competitions. And here again nothing is Killed . So the next time you speak in absolutes perhaps you should take the time to become more informed about the subject matter that you are speaking about.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 2 weeks ago

What does that have to do with carrying concealed weapons or unconcealed weapons everywhere you go, because of you are sure someone is going to shoot you?

Matt Brown 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy, I was replying to your and Cait’s statement that guns are only for KILLING.

“Exactly, Cait. Even for hunters, it's killing. Now I'm good with hunting for food, but many hunters are trophy hunters, which I find despicable.”

In your post you did not refer to concealed or unconcealed weapons, so I am not sure how they are pertinent at this point. Other than you are admitting that you stand corrected and would now like to move on to another part of the subject matter that you feel you could possibly win.

Brandon Devlin 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Uhh, because you're the one that brought up hunting (which I don't believe I've ever seen done with a concealed handgun) in a discussion about a murder at a hotel.

Matt Brown 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I did not bring hunting into this conversation, it would be most helpful if you would read starting with Cait then Dorothy and then my comments. I was addressing the fact that hunting was brought into this conversation. And to also point out that guns do have proposes other than killing.

Brandon Devlin 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I was replying to Dorothy bringing hunting into the discussion.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

It is against the law to waste the meat of an animal killed during. Hunt so even if the hunter is a triply hunter the meat is eaten, often by someone who needs it more than the hunter.

In Africa, hunters who can only hunt for the trophy often feed entire cillges and pour dollars into the local economy.

Shame you base your hate on ignorance.

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I am proud that our state has constitutional carry. All of my children have four legs. I carried a firearm for thirty years as a peace officer. They were a part of my job. I respect them, but am not afraid of them. I carry one every where I go.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

You've never heard of the sport of target shooting? There are shooting sports in the Olympics!

P Allen Macfarlane 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Well at keat those who participate in those sporting events have a better chance of killing whatever it is they are aiming at if they use a weapon out on the street. I am so relieved that you pointed that out. Now I can breathe easier the next time I go outside.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

You act like a firearm's purpose of killing is a bad thing. It isn't. The fact that innocent people are killed is bad, but without guns and the ability to kill bad people, far more good people would be dead or enslaved.

What do you think would happen if suddenly every gun in America disappeared? Our country would fall victim to one of the evil countries out there.

Of course, I love how the rich (not referring to Cait) view guns as evil but are protected by armed security.

Our country would not have been able to free itself from British rule without guns.

We would not have been able to defend ourselves against the Germans without guns.

So yes, I m glad that guns can kill.

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Well said Mr. Masters, I couldn't agree more.

Teri Griffin-Guntert 2 months, 2 weeks ago

The first murder recorded in the history of mankind was a tool called a "stone".

Scott Callahan 2 months, 2 weeks ago

For the record, I'm not a liberal. Nor am I a conservative. I'm far too mature and sane to align myself with either of those extremist groups.

Bob Harvey 2 months, 2 weeks ago

The fact that guns were used is bad. Attitudes of those using them were worse. If any of this discussion leads to the inevitable topic of the second amendment please remember that bad people have always had access to guns and taking that "right" away will not change that.

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

How do you explain much lower gun deaths in countries that have stricter gun availability?

Bob Harvey 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Without sounding truly uncaring I believe those countries of which you speak do not have the same economic and culture that has formed in the US. If it be acceptable let me reverse your question and ask why do cities like Chicago, where gun laws are very strict, have the highest incidents of gun violence. As I mentioned previously guns are used in bad ways but restricting them certainly will not solve the problem.

Carol Bowen 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Indiana is very close and does not have restrictions on guns. Just a couple of hours drive away.

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I typed a fairly long reply, Bob, but for the second time here on this site in a few days, the comment did not post, but it went away. I won't re-type it, but suffice it to say there are reasonable answers to your question.

Scott Callahan 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I seriously doubt this would have happened had the perpetrators been carrying pocket knives and click-clacks.

Scott Callahan 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Obsessive Bob, King of Cut n' Paste! Cool!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Where are all the good guys with guns? I thought you were going to protect everyone? Get away from your computer and start patrolling the streets.

Andrew Applegarth 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Just ignore Dorothy.

She is still hoping that a wild west style gunfight will erupt so her earlier predictions will finally prove true. Never mind that the shootout at the O.K. Corral, which she wishes to see repeated, happened within a gun free zone and was caused in no small part by that very same gun ban and the dirty politics behind it.

Scott Burkhart 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed, are you advocating vigilantism? That comment completely undermined any semi-cogent argument you had made up to that point.

Richard Heckler 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Open carry makes it easier for criminals and other angry people to have them.

How can guns really help keep people safer when no one knows when and where they will be confronted?

Criminals and others depend on the element of surprise as opposed to scheduling the events.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Open carry has no effect on whether or not a person can legally own a firearm. BTW, there's a thing called situational awareness that can help keep a law-abiding person from being surprised. Criminals and liberal politicians both prefer unarmed victims.

Teri Griffin-Guntert 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I would suggest you study the states that have open carry and then try to share the same foolish suggestion that you have just shared.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 2 weeks ago

The Second Amendment says "a well-regulated militia" What part of "well-regulated" do you (or anyone) not understand???

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" are you fuzzy on?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 2 weeks ago

It says for a "well regulated militia" What part of that admonition are you not familiar with??

Andrew Applegarth 2 months, 2 weeks ago

The censors apparently don't like people pointing out the truth, but I'll try again anyway.

You are the one who does not understand what a "well regulated militia" is. The term well-regulated does NOT mean controlled or restricted. It means to function well or precisely. In the case of the militia, it means that the people who will form the militia need to be familiar and skilled with their weapons in regular life so that they can function as a military force when called upon.

David Campbell 2 months, 1 week ago

That's the second half of the sentence Bob. Why do you try to avoid the first half?

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Fred, your ignorant comments about what the second amendment means are tired. Educate yourself on the 2nd amendment and frankly don't be so arrogant to suggest you know more than the SCOTUS.

Andrew Applegarth 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Bob Summers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Lawrence needs restrictive gun prohibition like South Chicago has.

Look at all the lives Liberals are saving there.

Steve Jacob 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Guns are not the problem here. Drugs are. I just don't see a shootout at a motel that's not about money. Shooting out car windows is just about drunken stupidity.

Bob Summers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Liberals should ban guns from drug dealers.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Ignorant people rely on talking points. One such talking points is "well if gun control doesn't work then why did it reduce murders with firearms in Australia.?

Here are the facts.

Australia was able to ban and confiscate firearms because they don't have a second amendment. Simply banning certain types of weapons won't work because they are just replaced with another type and people still have the pre-ban weapons.

You cannot ban all firearms and confiscate them in the US because it would be unconstitutional. Want to do it then repeal the 2nd amendment.

Second i]even if that were to happen you would not be able to keep guns out of the country. Criminals would still get them. They'd be smuggled here just like drugs, people and other contraband.

Australia is an island with limited access so it makes smuggling contraband into their country harder than ours.

The real counter to proving that gun control laws are not effective is looking at the states and cities with the strictest gun control laws in this country. Not stopping gun violence in any of those cities is it.

Bob Summers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

btw The 2nd amendment is there so citizens can protect themselves from government people. aka Liberals.

Is it any wonder why the Liberal human wants guns taken away from citizens? It is so they can control the citizen.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Every person who is marching against the government should support the 2nd amendment.

Every person who claims Trump is a fascist ', or a nazi or a dictator should support the 2nd amendment.

Without the 2nd amendment we are like that young man who stood against the Chinese government and was mowed over by a tank; Heroic but dead with the government still in power.

Bob Summers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Why are you Liberals allowing this to happen to Blacks?

Gun violence is disproportionately affecting the country's African American population

Black Americans are more than twice as likely to die from gun violence than whites, according to a new study that surveyed more than a decades' worth of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Between 2000 and 2010, the death rate due to firearm-related injuries was more than 18.5 per 100,000 among blacks, but only nine per 100,000 among whites. For Hispanics, it was just over seven per 100,000, and for all other races it was just below 3.5 per 100,000.

Scott Callahan 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Bob Summers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Oh Bob, that's just pure and simple racism.

This ladies and gentlemen is the best the Liberal can do. Bullying others with their made up "code words"

It is truly astonishing the environments these type of people create, then blame others for what they create.

Scott Callahan 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Umm, Bob? Did you see the smiley face at the end of the sentence? I was being sarcastic. I'll be a little more specific next time. Definitely stay away from Steven Wright. He's not your speed at all. Also, you might want to refer to comment #8: I'm neither a liberal or a conservative. But thanks for the thought. Ooh, there I go again...

Bob Summers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

One does not have a "choice" at having the Liberal genetic condition. One is either born with it, or not.

Observing people with the condition, it appears that some are more influenced by the condition than others.

Degrees of the condition requires further study. Consider the subject below with comment LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL!!!!!

The only word Bob knows,

Using a primitive degree scale of one to ten, one being limited influence of the genetic condition and ten being fully involved with the gene, this one seems to be at a 9.5 or 9.8 level of genetic influence.

Thanks

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 2 weeks ago

LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL!!!!!

The only word Bob knows, the only description Bob has, the only retort Bob has, the only thing Bob can spell....................I am happy and satisfied with my "Liberal" attitudes and nothing "Bob" can say will affect my good judgment and correct political attitude.

I am PROUD to be of a "liberal" mindset and thank "Bob" and his cohorts for recognizing my superior attitudes.

Andrew Applegarth 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Andrew Applegarth 2 months, 2 weeks ago

"This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement."

This is blatant libel and fraud. Fred's comment that I replied to has not been removed and my comment was no where near as close to a violation as it is. I demand the name of the staff member who committed this criminal act.

Mike Riner 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I know what you mean, Fred. I don't even read many of his posts anymore.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I think that if the framers of the Constitution in the 18th century had any idea of the horrific situation that their loosely worded admonitions regarding weapons in a society 200 years in the future, a society of some persons of no morals, no constraints, no sense of any responsibility, they would have worded this amendment that we regard as set in stone in a much more careful and specific way to have a national defense provision of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps. There would be no mention of an air force, they did not have airplanes in the 18th century. The mis-reading of this amendment has created a portion of modern society where life and limb is in grave danger from persons who have no business with any deadly weapons.

That is my take, right or wrong, and I am sticking to it.

Andrew Applegarth 2 months, 2 weeks ago

You may think that the 2nd Amendment is loosely worded, and you may be right, but the truth is that had they worded it more tightly we would have a heck of a lot less gun control today.

No, they would not have created an army, navy, or marine corps for national defense. They did not trust the central government and preferred the militia over a standing military.

The only misreading of the 2nd Amendment is by you. Do you really think that a group who had just overthrown a tyrannical government and was crafting a constitution which severely limited the new federal government, would then hand over their guns and full control of the militia to this same untrusted government?

Scott Callahan 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Oh, LJW! Here we go again. Changing the rules at the drop of a hat, playing eeny meeny miney mo with 2 comments that basically say the same thing. You must like Bob more than me, sniffle. Well okay, then. Adios! Au Revoir! Sayanara! Zaijian! Hindi importanteng bagay! Auf Wiedersehen! Kwaheri! Tam biet! Addio! Adjo! Ciao! Proschay!

Good night, good luck, grow.up.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Mind that screen door on the way out, skippy.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Criminals and socialist dictators prefer unarmed victims.

David Holroyd 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Will the Motel 6 disclose that there was murder in a room , if that is so, to a potential occupant.?

Ron Holzwarth 2 months, 1 week ago

Possibly so, and it might cost extra because some people want to chase ghosts.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

For the anti-gunners posting here, what new gun control law would have stopped this crime?

I do not want criminals to possess and use guns, but they ignore laws so laws won't stop them. Enforcing existing laws, making convicted criminals serve their full sentence along with programs to help rehabilitate them while in prison, making sure the mentally ill are added to the background database will help stop violence.

Frankly, it is more of a culture problem then a gun problem. Look at areas of the country where gun ownership is high but violent crime is low and you will see respect for life, family, God and country.

Jim Knight 2 months, 2 weeks ago

A starting point would be to look at the rest of the developed world where tighter gun controls lead to fewer gun deaths. Topeka with, last I checked 19 homicides in 2017, is not that far behind Montreal (where there have been 28 homicides in 2017, I think), for example, a city in Canada that is about 33 times bigger than Topeka with over 4 million people.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

So, you have nothing? Those countries can infringe upon the right of the people to own guns because they don't have the 2nd amendment.

I bet we have far more gun laws than any of those countries.

Ryan Eakin 2 months, 2 weeks ago

It's amazing to me how fast people are to blame the guns, especially involving a case that we know nothing about. But what about the recent cases where automobiles were used to mow down pedestrians? Should we ban and restrict automobiles? While we're at it, let's just ban everything that can kill a human including the following: knives, bats, sticks, rocks, hypodermic needles, trucks, trains, planes, horses, rope, plastic bags, and pillows.

Phillip Chappuie 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Amazing. This could have been a thread from the old LJW ten years ago. Same arguments. Same words. And a few same posters. I certainly see no resolution to the discussion anytime soon. But I would point out that I'm sure the participants in this event were neither Olympic target shooters nor hunters. I'm also sure that the weapons used were designed specifically for a single application that doesn't involve competition target shooting or hunting. I guess I don't fit your models though since I'm a liberal. A liberal with guns. A variety. Yet I have never felt the need to strap on and carry to go to Wal Mart for a loaf of bread. I see that more and more. To me it is just stupid. It is only the outward expression of intimidation. See, I firmly believe in responsible gun ownership. But with that comes responsible regulation. That way we can have a well regulated militia, right? You register your car, your truck, your boat. Shootings like this are going to happen regardless of regulation. Like illegal drugs or illegal immigrants. It will always be with us. But don't just ignore it with worthless platitudes.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

"... Yet I have never felt the need to strap on and carry to go to Wal Mart for a loaf of bread..." You have the right to make that decision. I may chose differently. Allow me that right. BTW, "responsible regulation" is a dog-whistle for registration and eventual confiscation.

Michael Shaw 2 months, 2 weeks ago

That is not what "dog whistle" means. Regulation is not necessarily the first step to ending an activity. And it isn't a code word, either.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

While it is not necessarily the first step to ending gun ownership, it is the end goal for many anti-gun groups and individuals. Many, including Hillary Clinton, hold Australia up as the model for the US when it comes to gun ownership.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Wrong Brock. Regulating car emissions didn't end cars. Your logic doesn't work.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Owning. Car is not a right and the end goal wasn't to end car ownership. It is the goal of many to end individual gun ownership. I under7why you can't see that. It takes a certain level of intellectual honesty and you aren't there.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I bet you scream when new anti-abortion laws are passed. I bet you scream they want to ban abortions. Of course you'd be wrong because we regulate car emissions and still have cars.

To deny that there are those that want to ban all guns is to deny that there are those that want to ban all abortions.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

That's the long game of the people who want to disarm American citizens. Your denial is amusing.

Phillip Chappuie 2 months, 2 weeks ago

So if we follow the logic of the nothing in the middle group we should abandon control of a wide array of everyday things. No need for prescriptions, just go buy your medicine as you see fit. No need for liability insurance on your car. Or a need for driver's license.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Wrong again, bub. There are a multitude of laws on firearms. No sensible person is advocating that they all be eliminated.

Brian Dawber 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Lel guise, lets ban guns! That's going to stop criminals from getting them! :D

Phillip Chappuie 2 months, 2 weeks ago

At no point in my life has anyone ever suggested that I register any one of my firearms. Never. No law has ever been passed to deprive me of that property. A sensible person would not advocate for eliminating what is in place but a sensible person would also recognize that what we have is not very effective and needs some enhancement. Reasonable people will recognize that gun deaths in America is a huge problem and does need some resolution. Simply spouting 2nd amendment phrases and blaming "liberals' for everything accomplishes right at zero. Bub.

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

So you've never lived in California, then.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

The majority of the states don't require gun registration but some states and at least 4 cities do. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

Cities and states have also confiscated guns.

Hillary Clinton suggested that we model ourselves after Australia which has eliminated most gun ownership Of course you did preface it with no sensible person...

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

"...There are a multitude of laws on firearms. No sensible person is advocating that they all be eliminated..." What is wrong in those two statements.

Paul Silkiner 2 months, 2 weeks ago

The lot of you sound like children in the dark!

Many animals and plants kill. Men are animals. Men kill. Killing ends life. Some killing is murder. Murder is the unlawful, immoral (sometimes and sometimes not) premeditated killing of one man (human being) by another. Some killing is not murder. Death is more often than not undesirable. Murder is worse.

Your welcome, My name is Paul Silkiner, where should I send the bill?

Bob Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Thank you, Mr. Know-It-All! Your ability to state the obvious is amazing. You're a fountain of something or other.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Well, he apparently doesn't know the difference between your and you're ;)

Paul Silkiner 2 months, 2 weeks ago

OK KIDDIES, Back to the lesson: Men of ill content commit murder, not guns.

Kim Wardlaw Sawyer 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Ryan Eakin, please also include hands and words. They need to be banned as well to prevent deaths.

Brock Masters 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Again, I ask what new law will stop gun violence? There isn't one and any new laws only restrict and infringe upon the rights of law abiding citizens. Criminals will still have access to all the guns they need to commit crimes.

Stop focusing on the gun and get to the root cause of crimes, lock away violent criminals for a long time, provide rehabilitation for first time offenders, require health professionals to report patients receiving treatment for mental illness to the background database, provide greater access to mental health providers and treat drug users instead of imprisoning them and we might see a reduction in violent crime.