Business

Business

Midco continues to address outages following conversion from WOW; ‘vast majority’ now have service

A Midco sign is in place outside Riverfront Plaza, Tuesday evening, June 27, 2017, after workers removed WOW signs, at bottom, from the company's properties.

June 28, 2017

Midco is continuing to work to restore cable, phone and internet to customers whose services were cut off following the conversion Wednesday from WOW to Midco.

Midco worked to address the outages throughout the day Wednesday, and at about 4:30 p.m. Midco spokeswoman Paige Pearson Meyer said that services for the “vast majority” of its new customers had been restored.

“We certainly appreciate the patience that people have had throughout the day and we know that this was a significant inconvenience to them,” Meyer said. “But we feel like there is a big, bright light at the end of the tunnel here.”

Meyer said that issues with residential phone service have been resolved, but that some business phone service, cable and internet customers continue to lack service or have intermittent service. She said they will have extra support on hand, that they were reaching out to business phone customers and that they hoped to resolve the cable issues Wednesday evening.

“We’re hoping throughout the evening that we can get the cable services back to them,” Meyer said. “The internet is intermittent, so they’re kind of one-off at this point in time.”

As part of its purchase of WOW, Midco is taking on more than 30,000 cable, telecom and internet customers in Douglas, Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties. Meyer said though the conversion was bumpier than they'd hoped, she was not entirely surprised at the outages given the scale of the conversion. She said that she didn’t yet know how many customers were without service Wednesday and that the total number may not be known for a couple of days.

This is not the first ownership change for Lawrence-area cable, phone and internet customers in recent years, but Meyer said this changeover differs from those.

“This is a complete system cutover, which is different than what customers experienced in the past,” Meyer said. “So by bringing customers onto the Midco network, we’ll be able to offer much better services and faster speeds.”

The sale of WOW to Midco was announced in October, and the acquisition was finalized in January. The conversion from WOW to Midco was scheduled to occur Wednesday from midnight to 6 a.m.

Meyer said Midco staff would continue to work to address services outages, but that there was not a definite timeline for when all services would be restored. She said those continuing to have issues can call Midco at 800-888-1300.

Midco also provided troubleshooting tips and updates on its website, advising customers without internet service to reset their modems and routers.

Comments

Clara Westphal 3 months, 3 weeks ago

It is after 10:00 p.m. Wednesday night and my tv screen is still black.

Michael Kort 3 months, 3 weeks ago

My internet went out last night but was one this morning .

I am more concerned with them shoving more speed down my throat to boost their $ bills in the future or trying to force me onto their modems, as I own two of my own that are 3.0s, I can program those modems with an Ethernet Cable link up and I need a minimum of over the phone tech support to switch one out if need be, etc ........no expensive home tech services and operated truck required for me !

Being older on a fixed income I don't want to get soaked with a higher reoccurring bill and raised min. download speed so that college kids who do multi users, doing mindless games on line, can get billion gigabit service upgrades to WOWs entire system city wide, at the expense of many who don't need super speed for multiple users on the same service somewhere in Lawrence doing big downloads .

Laura Wilson 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I've had internet since I got home and rebooted the modem at 5:00. Still only have channels 3-31 and the rest say "not authorized". Can't access my dvr--really hope the shows I'd saved are still there--can't get the guide even for the working channels to show me what's on. Have unplugged the dvr three times, still not working. On the non-DVR tvs I get the usual channels you get with basic. And I still can't get my sunflower email online either at Wow or at Midco. Not impressed, but I also didn't have time to spend three hours on hold.

Nick Naidenov 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Anyone want to start an office pool on when the next corporate buy out will be? I'm thinking 2 years.

David Mattern 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Had a tech stop by (Jason D.). He reset every tv with new boxes and remotes - did a great job. My experience with Midco is off to a great start.

Sue McDaniel 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I also was helped out by a very friendly person at Midco who got us up and running after a 45 minute wait on hold ! We had internet just no cable.....

RJ Johnson 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I was having trouble with my sunflower.com email accounts and Amanda help me on their online help page. She did a very good job and had me up and running in no time!

Laura Wilson 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm glad so many are getting their issues resolved. I guess when I get home from work if the tv is still not working right I'll spend the night on hold. I was too busy last night to do it. Really don't want a new DVR as I have at least 40 hours of unwatched shows saved. Also have to finish setting up my account because I stupidly had them send the authorization link to sunflower which I can't access from Wow or Midco online and lost access to on my phone when Knology switched to Wow. First world issues, but really frustrating. I'm just glad my business was one of the ones with Midco internet that worked yesterday!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 months, 3 weeks ago

We still cannot get some channels on one TV but they are present on the others.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 months, 3 weeks ago

When will the next "hand off" be to another imaginary cable and internet fraud???

Clara Westphal 3 months, 3 weeks ago

It is 10 a.m. Thursday morning and I still have no television; just a blank screen.

Bob Summers 3 months, 3 weeks ago

It is 10:12 am and I have not turned on my telly.

Clara Westphal 3 months, 3 weeks ago

What would you do if your internet was down and you could not blog all day?

Calvin Anders 3 months, 3 weeks ago

2 days in and still not completely fixed. I still have cable issues. I still have not been able to get anyone on the phone despite multiple attempts and many minutes waiting in queue. Finally got someone on chat after waiting an hour and a half. They were not helpful. I do have a suggestion for anyone still having trouble with email. Google "midco email settings" and repoint your email server based on those settings. Incoming is "pop.midco.net" and outbound is "smtp.midco.net". Ports are standard for unsecured, but there are some other server settings for secure servers. Also remember that your user name for login must include your entire email address, not just the part before the @ sign. It worked for me. It would have been nice to know how to fix it before they broke it.

Mel Wedermyer 3 months, 3 weeks ago

MidCoFailedLawrenceKansas

After many hours on the phone and 2 call backs not received and no resolution for my problems I have realized that companies just don't plan for roll-outs well enough. They just figure a "I'm sorry" will make everyone happy. How about reimbursing all of us for our time and trouble, not to mention loss of service that is paid for.

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 3 months, 3 weeks ago

One thing I learned from my neighbors. We have the internet separate from the telephone and TV antenna. If our internet goes out, the TV works, and so does our phone.