Archive for Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Internet and cable outages reported as WOW services convert to new company

June 27, 2017, 4:33 p.m. Updated June 28, 2017, 10:48 a.m.

UPDATE:

The overnight conversion from WOW cable, telecom and internet services to Midco is causing some outages in the Lawrence area.

“We are experiencing some challenges but we are troubleshooting right now,” said Midco spokeswoman Paige Pearson Meyer.

Customers were posting on social media about problems with their services. Many of those reports involved a lack of internet and cable services.

Meyer said the outages weren’t entirely surprising with the scale of the conversion. As part of its purchase of WOW, Midco is taking on more than 30,000 cable, telecom and internet customers in Douglas, Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties.

Meyer provided the following information via email.

"There’s no doubt the transition has been bumpier this morning than we had hoped. A lot of advance planning was done and this is not our first acquisition, but each one presents its own challenges. We are working to identify customers without service and resolve issues as quickly as possible. Our quickest way to reach customers is through social media updates—so we ask that customers please look for those on Facebook and Twitter throughout the day."

The sale of WOW to Midco was announced in October, and the acquisition was finalized in January. The conversion from WOW to Midco was expected to occur Wednesday from midnight to 6 a.m.

About 2 p.m., Midco provided the following update on its website:

Midco statement

A status update for KS customers: We’re making progress in bringing more customers back online for internet and cable TV service; however, not everyone is back online yet. We continue to work on resolving the situation for all customers, and again apologize for the great inconvenience this causes you.

• Internet customers: If you aren’t able to access the internet, please try again to reset your modem (and a router if you have one) If your services are not restored, please contact us.

• Cable TV: Please check your TV’s on-screen guide. If your guide shows a Midco logo and you don’t have all your channels, please contact us. If you see a WOW! logo on your on-screen guide, we also encourage you to contact us.

• We offer support options via social media, secure online chat at Midco.com/Contact, and 1.800.888.1300.

We are as eager as you to resolve these issues. Please know that it is sincerely our goal to bring you a great customer experience – with your services, technology and support.

Midco support can be reached by phone at 1-800-888-1300, on Twitter at @Midcontinent, on Facebook at MidcontinentCommunications, or via chat on its website, midco.com/contact.

Check back with this report for more information.

A Midco sign is in place outside Riverfront Plaza, Tuesday evening, June 27, 2017, after workers removed WOW signs, at bottom, from the company's properties. by Nick Gerik

Original story

The final changeover from WOW cable, telecom and internet services to Midco will be complete by early Wednesday morning.

Midco spokeswoman Paige Pearson Meyer said customers' services aren't expected to be affected by the conversion, which will occur Wednesday from midnight to 6 a.m.

If customers do have service issues, Midco recommends that customers restart their equipment. If problems continue, customers can contact Midco at 1-800-888-1300 or Midco.com/Contact.

Customers’ services and pricing won’t change as part of the conversion unless requested, Meyer said.

“Customers won’t experience any service changes when they officially change over to our services (Wednesday) and service pricing will not change unless customers change their level of service,” Meyer said.

She said customers who want to change or add services can do so anytime before or after the conversion. Once customers register their account online, service options and prices for Midco’s new Kansas customers are available on Midco’s website.

The sale of WOW to Midco was announced in October, and the acquisition was finalized in January. As part of its purchase of WOW, Midco is taking on more than 30,000 cable, telecom and internet customers in Douglas, Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties.

“We’re so excited and really looking forward to putting our roots down in Lawrence,” Meyer said.

For now, Midco's customer service center will continue to be located in the Riverfront Plaza in downtown Lawrence. Meyer said Midco is still in the process of negotiating a lease for its new location near the intersection of South Iowa Street and West 31st Street.

Last month, Midco announced that it will discontinue Channel 6, 6News and its associated news website and expand Midco’s own sports network in Lawrence. Meyer said Channel 6 will continue as is until early August, after which the station will be repurposed for the sports network.

Comments

Gary Pomeroy 1 month, 3 weeks ago

"We don’t expect (a service disruption); we certainly hope that there is not one," Meyer said. That certainly is encouraging . . . . "hope"?

Mike Edson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

It does sound a lot like the same old BS that we got from the other companies. Why doesn't COX just buy this market and be done with it? I can tell you that I pay for the highest internet speed and it feels like I have been throttled back over the last few weeks.

Mike Riner 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The level of service has steadily decreased since they were Sunflower. Would be nice for things to get better for a change, but I won't hold my breath!

Paul Beyer 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Prediction: New owner=worse service and higher prices.

Gary Pomeroy 1 month, 3 weeks ago

And when you call the phone number you get a recording that they open at 9 and leave a message. Great start . . . .

Andy Craig 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I wonder how all of you survived and/or complained before the internet came into existence....

Scott Quenette 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Well a lot of us probably didn't need the internet to complete work or communicate to colleagues. I've had an email address for 28 years.

Mike Riner 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The internet wasn't as much a necessity back then.

Kendall Simmons 1 month, 3 weeks ago

You apparently aren't old enough to remember pre-Internet/pre-cell phone days...even though neither one has been around all that long.

Or maybe your landline (you know...your old-fashioned phone connection) just never went out. Or you never had an emergency and needed to get help, but couldn't make contact with anyone.

Or maybe you simply never learned that the world doesn't revolve around you and what you think is important?

Gary Pomeroy 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Perhaps it also has to do with being charged for a service that is not being provided.

Laura Wilson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Yep, no internet at home (didn't check the tv) and the online email login just goes round and round saying it's logging me on. Luckily I stopped using my sunflower email years ago when it stopped working on my phone, but people still sometimes email me there so I like to check it every day. Great start Midco.

RJ Johnson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

No internet here since 3:30 this morning. Medico doesn't answer there phone either. I've been on hold for 45 minutes.

Clara Westphal 1 month, 3 weeks ago

My tv went black while I was watching the morning news.

Bob Summers 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Try the Iridium 9555 satellite phone. That should help with email connections.

Tony Peterson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS are the only stations you can get if you have cable. It's been down now for more than nine hours. I was watching MSNBC about 12:15 and everything went blank the second the switchover happened.

Alex Landazuri 1 month, 3 weeks ago

yeah, i didnt have internet this morning...i needed to power cycle my modem to get service back

Steve Jacob 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Unplugged everything, internet back on, but no cable.

Laura Wilson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I guess I'm lucky my work has internet as a lot of businesses with midco are out! I don't remember there being these kind of issues when Sunflower switched to Knology or Knology to Wow. Boy do I miss Sunflower and their excellent customer service and techs.

Maddy Griffin 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Ridiculous. Every channel says it should be available shortly. Since 6a.m. I don't think that means what you think it means. Define shortly.

Andy Craig 1 month, 3 weeks ago

http://www2.ljworld.com/users/photos/... You're needed now more than ever Broadband Man...wherever you are!

Mike Riner 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Do not hold your breath on anything Sunflower. A Knology employee one told me that those who kept their Sunflower emails (and didn't open a new Knology email) were relegated to the oldest, slowest servers they had! I doubt that has changed any

Carol Bowen 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I'm betting it's a Microsoft Exchange server. Nothing personal. It's all configured.

Gayla Schmitz 1 month, 3 weeks ago

For e-mail, you need to change the incoming and outgoing settings in software such as Outlook or go to Midco's webmail: mail.midco.net and use current e-mail and password.

For those using Outlook or a similar software: incoming settings--change IMAP server to popa.midco.net, security SSL, port 993. Outgoing settings: server smtpa.midco.net, security SSL, port 465.

Laura Wilson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Nope, says my email (still a sunflower one) is "not on file" at mail.midco.net at least through Chrome on my computer. Not my main email account thankfully but some people still email me there. Very not impressed by midco.

Thomas Sadler 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Sunflower was pretty reliable, but they still had their issues. They would chastise me for using an ethernet hub and a wireless router back in the day. They would go on and on about how it was against their Terms of Service and any connectivity issues I had were on my end. And they used to levy a surcharge if you only wanted internet without cable.

Clara Westphal 1 month, 3 weeks ago

It is after 1 p.m. and my television screen still comes up black. Nothing on it at all.

I do not have social media so I can't contact them that way. Guess I will just wait - and as the story above stated - 'hope'.

Richard Aronoff 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Is Uverse what I keep getting offered from ATT?

Greg Cooper 1 month, 3 weeks ago

yep. All fiber optics, great picture, terrible customer service in the few instances you need them. But price is a bit higher than WOW was, with better reception.

Sue McDaniel 1 month, 3 weeks ago

No cable at our house as of 1:20 pm Wednesday June 28th!

Richard Aronoff 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Basking in the profundity of the erotic silence.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 month, 3 weeks ago

2.pm, Wednesday Finally got my internet back.........One TV is working........one in the back room on the same cable is not.......Haven't tried the one in the bedroom yet.

As of now......no one answering the phone at "Wow" or whatever they are calling themselves this week..............this is great.........huge dependency on "Modern technology"!! "Modern" technology sucks.

Wish I still had an antenna outside or rabbet ears. (For those of you under 30 you might want to"Google "rabbet ears").......,,,,,(and "land line".....I still have one, no plastic electric toy phones here.)

. Rabbet ears worked great if you could get enough aluminum foil positioned just right. At least you could adjust it. And they did not crash in the middle of the night

This crappy system defies definition or adjustment. And customer service.....Hah!! It will soon be shipped off to India or Bangladesh.

Great system the city has bought!!

Andrea Zuercher 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The squeaky tweeter might get the grease. If you're on Twitter, look for @Midcontinent and send them a direct message including your address. They just might be able to troubleshoot for you that way. Good luck. (No cable yet at my house, although we've had Internet most of the day, which is a good thing since I am a full-time telecommuter.)

George Blake 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Where I work we have a firewall and a static IP address so that, in the event of power disruption, we would not be running around and changing our firewall router or the other IP addresses on our systems.

We had to pay WOW extra for a static IP vs. a Dynamic IP.

We walk in this morning, and no internet. We got internet through their modem, but not through our firewall.

Midco had sent E-mails and letters to residential customers, but we never received a business letter, e-mail or phone call.

They told us they tried calling our phone number under our account to tell us the IP address was changing. That was a lie. We have an answering system on our phone and they never called.

They did admit they changed the IP address and gave us the new information. Then we had to call our IT people and have them change things in software.

This is the same level of service we got with WOW. Nothing has changed for the better.

Bob Smith 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Had they not done this sort of thing before?

Ralph Gage 1 month, 3 weeks ago

It was hard to imagine an operator more incompetent than WOW! but Midco has proven itself. Still waiting for a promised tech. Definitely sorry for businesses that depended upon internet connectivity. Makes me appreciate the expertise we had at Sunflower Broadband, and the caring and more-than-adequate staffing levels. So say nothing of local news and other programming. Midco-- you just don't get it.

David Klamet 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Sunflower was ahead of the curve. Lawrence had high speed (for the day) internet before most other cities. We could use the same leadership that the Simons family showed when they expanded into cable and then internet services.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 month, 3 weeks ago

We still cannot get some channels on our back room TV. We get "not authorized" messages on some channels we had before. I think the this "Midco" outfit is as clueless about their equipment as previous companies.

Like I said.......antennas and rabbet ears worked. All this new crap does not seem to .

Laura Wilson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Just got home from work. Have internet (after rebooting) but only 3-31 channels on the tv which I pay a hell of a lot of money for much more than 28 channels. Everything else is "not authorized". This is really annoying. Guess I'll be listening to the Royals on my computer tonight instead of watching it on tv.

Ralph Gage 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Here's a transcript of my chat with a Midco rep: Your estimated wait time is 6 minutes. 4:49:21 p.m. Thank you for contacting Midco. Please wait while we connect you to the next available representative. Ralph Gage 4:49:47 p.m. Where is the tech who this morning was scheduled to be here between 3:15 and 3:30? 4:49:47 p.m. Thank you for contacting Midco. Please wait while we connect you to the next available representative. 4:50:01 p.m. Bryan W. has joined the conversation. 4:50:03 p.m. Hello, this is Bryan W. with Midco Customer Care. How may I help you? Bryan W. 4:51:12 p.m. Hello Ralph, I'd be glad to assist with that. I'm just reviewing the account now to see what the status of that work order is. 4:52:50 p.m. It looks like the work order is still open and pending, however I know for internet issues those were being handled internally and not needing a technician out to correct since the issues seen were due to the transition. Let me check with someone quick, to see if that is still the case. Ralph Gage 4:53:10 p.m. Well, what have you found? We have two TVs that are not working and problems with the settings for mobile devices. 4:53:46 p.m. Also, we were promised a phone call from the tech. That did not happen. Bryan W. 4:55:44 p.m. At this time we should be able to troubleshot at as normal, meaning checking information on our end and scheduling as need be. Before I check further on scheduling I'm just checking over the modem quick in case there is something I can correct on this end. Ralph Gage 4:56:24 p.m. Sounds like BS to me, Bryan. When will the tech be here? Bryan W. 4:57:40 p.m. Let me check with our dispatch team to see if we can get a tech out today or if we need to reschedule. Ralph Gage 4:58:31 p.m. 3:15-3:30. God, you guys at Midco are on top of it. Bryan W. 4:59:55 p.m. I do apologize if the wrong expectations were given to you. For the technician schedule it is within 24-48 hours at this time. We'll try to get out there still today but if not we should be out for you tomorrow. Ralph Gage 5:01:55 p.m. My wife and I have wasted an entire day on Midco transition issues that still are not resolved. The time was not wrong any wrong expectations, they were clearly enunciated by your CSR. When, precisely, will someone be here? Bryan W. 5:03:01 p.m. If they arrive today the latest it would be would be 8pm, if not then they would arrive tomorrow at the earliest chance they have between 8am and 8pm. They will call still before arrival, is 7857603237 still the best number to call? Ralph Gage 5:06:52 p.m. Has Midco done a "transition" before? Please give me a specific and reliable time between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. We have other appointments and commitments. And we're damned sick of Midco already. Bryan W. Continued)

Cary Ediger 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Might want to edit out your phone number.

Paul Beyer 1 month, 3 weeks ago

All I did was unplug cable box, plugged back in and everything came up. Both downstairs and upstairs and works fine. No different than when we have power outages and box reboots.

Cary Ediger 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I used to work for SBB, depending on what Midco did (not sure if they changed the guide/menu layout or it stays the same) they may or may not do a global refresh on all the boxes... which may take 24 hours.

For Video service: On the back of the box find the power cord and unplug it... wait at least 1 minute. While you are back there check the cable line attached to the wall outlet so it is at least finger tight and the same with the cable from the wall going into the back of the box. Take your time longer than a minute is better than less than a minute.

For internet service: Unplug the power from the cable modem.... wait at least one minute. While you are back there check the cable from the wall to modem and at the wall. If a splitter is in play check the connections on it. If you are running a router/hub/switch power cycle it also. Waiting 1 minute.

Good luck, was a pleasure serving you when I worked at SBB for 13 years.

Ralph Gage 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I'm having trouble posting Part 2 of my adventure. Trying again: Bryan W. 5:08:44 p.m. At this time that is the information I have after checking directly with our Dispatch team who are the ones who handle assigning technicians to the work orders for customers. So at this time the latest today would be at 8pm otherwise they will be out at the earliest chance they have tomorrow. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but at this time that is what the scheduling looks like for a technician visit. Ralph Gage 5:10:00 p.m. Then send someone before 8 p.m. today. Otherwise, I will hunt you down... :) Bryan W. 5:11:43 p.m. They'll try to be out by 8pm tonight but I cannot make a guarantee that they will make it out today, if not they will be out at the earliest chance tomorrow. Ralph Gage 5:12:19 p.m. That is not what you wrote. What the hell is going on? Bryan W. 5:13:03 p.m. We have the work order scheduled and the technician will do their best to be out their today but if you do not hear from them they will be out tomorrow at the earliest opportunity that they have. 5:15:05 p.m. Again I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused but we will get one of our technicians out as soon as we can to get your services back up and running fully. Ralph Gage 5:17:00 p.m. Midco shows itself to be a bush-league, incompetent, unreliable company. We'll see when your tech arrives and I will post on social media and elsewhere. Thanks for addressing my original question. Bryan W. 5:17:34 p.m. Was there anything else I could assist with today Ralph? Ralph Gage 5:19:40 p.m. Why, yes. You could let your company president know how disappointed Lawrence residents are with his decision to eliminate Channel 6. Clearly Midco does not understand Lawrence. Thanks! Bryan W. 5:20:24 p.m. I will definitely pass along that feedback for you here today.

Cary Ediger 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Give them hell Ralph. Sounds like they messed up the conversion.

Patricia Davis 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I think it is time our community built its own cable company. We are at the end of the food chain. Our service will continue to get worse as the prices go up. Time to do it ourselves.

Mel Wedermyer 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I agree, it can't be any worse than this.

George Blake 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I did what Midco asked by mail last night. I set up my account for my internet. Then I checked my billing. They have removed all of my discounts and now my internet for 60 MBPS went from $40 to $55 per month? Thanks, Midco. Nothing like storng-arming a captive audience.

Mel Wedermyer 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Where is the update article for Friday night? Is it all working, are things still up in the air. No estimates on household affected and for how long? Where are the reporters on this, or are they not answering questions.....

Richard Heckler 1 month, 2 weeks ago

City Hall needs to bring a choice and bill it on our utility statement.