Archive for Thursday, December 21, 2017

Letter to the editor: Reason for season

December 21, 2017

To the editor:

If one accepts the poll results published in a recent USA Today that only 46 percent of Americans place any religious connotation to the holiday season; then now is the time for the city, county and public entities to follow the lead of the University of Minnesota dean whose memo to fellow employees outlined acceptable holiday practices. Ban all public displays of lights, Santa, Christmas trees, bow-wrapped gifts, bells, decorations of red, blue, green, silver and white, angels, nativity scenes, menorahs, etc. Keep all parties neutral, food of a general nature, music-nondescript. Stop wasting taxpayer money on these things and use it to set up to report and identify policy offenders and counseling/support services for those who are offended. The city needs to make itself free from inappropriate religious expression, which demonstrate bias against nonbelievers.

The city, county, university and all other public institutions will be safe from any religious iconography and influence, going about their business in an unruffled manner. They should also quit taking time off work as there is no justification for a seasonal break that has no meaning or reason for existence. Get those offices, schools, libraries, etc., open.

“Winter Break” is not the reason for the season.

Comments

Aaron McGrogor 5 months, 4 weeks ago

That's quite the leap. So if winter break can't be religiously associated, we shouldn't have it at all?

Joshua Cain 5 months, 4 weeks ago

I'll settle for simply ditching santa. It's a ridiculous concept that distracts our children from the intent of the holiday season secular and non-secular alike. We can still give the little brats presents. The fun will not be lost but lets at least be honest with ourselves and stop the charade. Between santa, the tooth fairy, and the easter bunny we're establishing a relationship with children at an early age that is based completely on lies. Again, we don't have to cut the fun stuff out....just the lies.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Another Danny downer. Have you ever give a Christmas present to anyone? Then you are Santa. Santa represents generosity. He's a symbol. Humans often use symbols, analogies, personification etc. to represent values and to teach. I'll bet you hate poetry too.

Happy Holidays! Ho, ho, ho.

Joshua Cain 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Like I said....presents don't have to end. Generosity and the lesson of giving doesn't have to end. Santa is a distraction and 90% of the kids I know.....maybe 98% are mostly interested in what they're getting for Christmas from the great lie in a red suit. I'd rather do away with the BS and get down to the giving. The essence of giving would be better conveyed without a lie.

Giving presents makes me santa? No it makes me a giving individual w/o the whole charade. What's so wrong with challenging convention? I know many kids that are disappointed when they find out he's not real. Some really have a hard time with it. If Santa's so dang important and such an example what message does it send when kids find out the truth?

Joshua Cain 5 months, 4 weeks ago

From the article. "I call this "Objection 0" because it's not really an objection to my argument--it's just an ad hominem personal attack. This objection, and those like it, are just a tactic that people use when they have no reply or argument. They can't actually engage with the argument itself, so instead they attack the arguer."

Holding on to this tradition is like right wing christians holding on to their antiquated values that are in direct contradiction to the acts of christ. Give it up and get to the meat and potatoes of giving....the actual meaning of christmas without the interference.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 5 months, 3 weeks ago

So Josh, what you are saying is you don't want to give gifts and give credit to a fantasy? You want all the credit?

When I was starting to realize there was no real Santa, I asked my mom. She told me no, Santa didn't bring the gifts, that she and dad brought them. I told her I thought it was nice she gave Santa credit. Maybe it teaches people to be humble and willing to give without getting the credit.

We don't do that anymore, do we. If someone or something (like a corporation, I don't consider them humans) gives something, they expect lots of credit. They expect their names on buildings, stadiums, hospitals, concert venues. Not just giving, self promotion. Yeah, that sounds about right for the American culture we live in. Consider me a rebel though. I often donate money, and don't even deduct it from taxes. I don't have enough money to donate and demand my name on a building, but if I did, I wouldn't, I would just donate the money. But then I'm a rebel who believes in Santa.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Good grief, Mr Meyer. There are may holidays celebrated at this time of the year. And Jesus really wasn't born in December. The church put the date there, so it was woven into the pagan holidays. Most of those Christmas decorations were borrowed from those traditions

That being said, chill out. There is no war on Christmas. You can say Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa or whatever. Why not just lighten up and quit making everything political.

Happy Holidays, Mr. Downer. I hope Santa doesn't bring you coal. If Christians hadn't started shoving their religion down everyone's throats, then we would still just be having fun this time of year.

Happy Holidays to everyone! Go drink some eggnog.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 5 months, 4 weeks ago

And by the way, Jesus did not rise from the grave every first Sunday after the first moon, after the vernal equinox either.

John Kyle 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Mr. Meyer shows us how to be duped by right-wing fake news. Maybe fact check before writing a letter to the editor.

Josh Berg 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Mr. Meyer, nobody is forcing you to be a part anything. You are welcome to stay at home and keep your thoughts to yourself but do not ruin this joyous time for others. What about the kids that look forward to seeing the lights and Santa all year? Do you think they care whether it is religious or not?

Lastly, shame on the LJWorld for posting this crap. I think most people will agree that this is a time for giving and to be with family and why would you post something like this that takes all of the fun away? I want to know what Chad has to say about this.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Josh, we don't agree on many things, but right on. It's a happy time of year. Merry Christmas.

Josh Berg 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Thank you Dorothy. Same to you and your family.

Daniel Kennamore 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Josh,

I think Mr. Meyer's point isn't literal.

He thinks that it's wrong to not celebrate Christmas in the context of Christianity exclusively and making fun of anyone who thinks maybe that's not the best thing for government entities/buildings to be doing.

Bob Summers 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Leave it to the emotionally hypersensitive congenital Liberal to be offended.

Too funny!!!

Steve King 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Leave it to our local Troll and his fixation for name calling. Never adds any substance. Just like Trump, resorts to playground bullying and name calling. Sad.

Clara Westphal 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Minnesota has changed. Minneapolis is flooded with Somalis and other foreigners who are far removed from our values. Sad, but true. The University of Minnesota Dean doesn't want anyone to be offended.

I bet the businesses love Christmas because it reaps them big profits. Christmas is the biggest shopping time of the year.

Merry Christmas to all including the Grinches.

Amy Payne 5 months, 4 weeks ago

The holiday timing of the winter solstice is rooted in ancient religions. Throughout history, humans have observed this seasonal milestone and created spiritual and cultural traditions to celebrate the rebirth of sunlight after the darkest period of the year. That is the true, original reason for the season. All of the traditions we celebrate now originated in pagan religions. Jesus was not born on Christmas day; it was chosen by the Catholic church to encourage pagans to join their religious ceremonies.

P Allen Macfarlane 5 months, 3 weeks ago

"...it was chosen by the Catholic church to encourage pagans to join their religious ceremonies."

Boy, did those pagans ever get suckered in.