Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Stop the waste

December 1, 2017

To the editor:

When you are touring the city of Lawrence, look at the art and holiday decor. Add the Wakarusa and Harvard intersection to your list.

Take a minute to stop and view the new gold-plated traffic circle in progress.

This will give you an idea of how to waste your tax money (city and federal).

If you can see what’s in the future, you will see this is going to create a traffic bottleneck at the shopping centers on the east and west side of Wakarusa.

I see some very unhappy business owners in these two shopping centers.

Taxpayers’ hope is that the new City Commission might stop some of this waste of tax money.

Comments

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 2 weeks, 3 days ago

I have not been convinced that these round abouts are any better than stop signs, or traffic signals, at a 4 way intersection. I certainly do not want to see any more of them.

Ken Lassman 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Its been a huge improvement in many busy intersections. 19th & Barker used to have traffic backed up for at least a block during busy times and that disappeared. Same with Wakarusa and Inverness/Legends.

Scott Batson 2 weeks, 2 days ago

People using the road make mistakes, always have and always will. Crashes will always be with us, but they need not result in fatalities or serious injury. Modern roundabouts are the safest form of intersection in the world - the intersection type with the lowest risk of fatal or serious injury crashes - (much more so than comparable signals). Modern roundabouts require a change in speed and alter the geometry of one of the most dangerous parts of the system - intersections. The reduction in speed and sideswipe geometry mean that, more often than not, when a crash does happen at a modern roundabout, you usually need a tow truck, not an ambulance. Roundabouts are one of nine proven road safety features (FHWA).
The life saved may be your own.

Richard Heckler 2 weeks, 3 days ago

Roundabouts keep traffic moving whereas stop signs and red lights do not.

Keeping traffic moving actually is a fossil fuel saver = a bit of conservation and less pollution.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Before they put a roundabout at 19th and Barker, I would drive through there at rush hour and stop almost a block back. Then creep forward, stop again, creep forward, stop again, creep forward, stop again. It took several minutes to finally get through the 4 way stop. Now I seldom have to wait at all, and during rush hour, only waiting seconds, instead of minutes. Much less stress, saves gas. If you learn how to drive through one (many still come to a complete stop when the circle is empty and won't enter the circle if someone to the right has entered the circle)) you will love it. The only complaint I have is the size. 19th and Barker is as small as you can get away with, and for large vehicles, it's small. I don't drive on Wakarusa often, but when I do I really enjoy the ones they put in. A whole lot better than the 4 way stops with 8 lanes feeding into them.

Josh Berg 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Yeah why drive down Wakarusa Dorothy? That is where all of the "evil" Republicans live.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Do you live in Lawrence? I have a lot of friends that live on the west side, and they are Democrats. What is wrong with you?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Excuse me. I was meeting snarky with snarky. Josh is disgusting. I don't drive on Wakarusa much because I live in east Lawrence, and only go over there for doctor appointments. I'm tired of Josh bringing in partisan politics into everything in life. The boy has a problem.

David Holroyd 2 weeks, 2 days ago

And Mr. Edwards you are about to see a WASTE of money with a bus hub, a transit hub, a hubbub of a hub.

Any ideas for a HUB name? After all parks, buildings, in Lawrence need a name...maybe the BOLEY HUB, or the MARKUS HUB, better yet the outgoing commisoner could be recognized with an award winning designed , spectacular building...aka THE AMYX HUB..

How can these four commissioners in good conscience believe Lawrence need a hub? They cannot even fix a Mausoleum but instead have some Friends of the Mausoleum apply for a grant.

Friends take care of friends...they don't go begging for money !!!!

Scott Batson 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Modern, slow and go, roundabout intersections have less daily delay than a stop light or stop sign, especially the other 20 hours a day people aren’t driving to or from work (it’s the #2 reason they’re built). Average daily delay at a signal is around 12 seconds per car. At a modern roundabout average daily delay is less than five seconds. Signals take an hour of demand and restrict it to a half hour, at best only half the traffic gets to go at any one time. 'At best' because traffic signals must have the yellow and all red portion (8+ seconds per cycle) for safety, and modern roundabouts do not. At a modern roundabout, drivers entering from different directions can all enter at the same time. Don’t try that with a signalized intersection.

Josh Berg 2 weeks, 2 days ago

How about the two new stoplights on 15th street? Those barely ever change colors, which makes me question their need. This commission is great at wasting money. Here's an idea, let's not re-elect two of them next time we have a chance.

Bob Gent 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Lots of good, concise answers about the effectiveness and safety of roundabouts. Can’t say the haters are listening, though. Not like anyone expected that

Laura Wilson 1 week, 6 days ago

The waste isn't for roundabouts themselves; I'm all for roundabouts, though I hope new drivers are being taught how to use them properly and you really should signal when you're exiting. However, we spend way too much money on making them "pretty". Brick and plantings and faux gas lamps are a ridiculous waste of money. I've said many times that most of our fancy roundabouts would be a yellow painted circular hump in Europe for the amount of traffic they have. And the high plantings make it hard to see if someone is actually entering from the other side.