Archive for Sunday, August 27, 2017

Letter to the editor: Making us blue

August 27, 2017

To the editor:

I am responding to the Journal-World’s editorial on whether the city and Westar should go forward installing LED streetlights that exceed the American Medical Association’s specific health warnings against them: that these types of lights emit too much blue spectrum light.

The editorial minimizes the host of risks pointed to by the AMA, which not only include glare, discomfort and disability, but that the new lighting can also decrease visual acuity and results in concerns of creating road hazard.

The editorial comes out against getting our streetlights within recommended limits and proposes we wait for more specific guidance from the AMA. Wait for what? The AMA gave specific guidance, but it’s now being ignored. The lights are well above healthy limits. Are we then to wait for the lighting industry to conduct its own research to try to cloud an issue that doctors have already spoken to? It reminds me of how big tobacco ducked its issue for years.

And the editorial suggests changing course could cost a huge amount of money. That is very hard to believe, when we are only talking about changing light bulbs.

Comments

Bob Smith 2 months, 3 weeks ago

"...That is very hard to believe, when we are only talking about changing light bulbs..." There are a lot of street lights and those bulbs are a heck of a lot more expensive than those you use in your living room lamps. But continue to worship the opinions of the AMA.

Louis Kannen 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Worth noting, factually based Medical Science and associated Research will always trump any varietal, metaphysically self-induced opinions.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 3 weeks ago

My God!!!!! With us facing a the horrific reality of a perverted debauched Nazi and KKK supporter in the White House, we are arguing about STREET LIGHT BULBS?????

What the heck is wrong with people??

Ken Lassman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I can entertain national and international concerns while at the same time pay attention to things that affect my day-in-day-out concerns in my back yard, Fred. It's actually a good idea.

Paul Youk 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I find it highly ironic that Mr. Roundabout Ranter would question the import of this discussion.

Fwiw, other cities that have retrofitted their street lights with higher K temp lighting reportedly do have complaints from citizens. Maybe we should at least investigate the frequency, severity and legitimacy of such complaints before we make a big infrastructure investment into what might be a bad idea.

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We are in for a lot of trouble, according to the AMA. I use daylight led bulbs all over my home in fixtures and lamps. They put out a lot more light than soft white ones. I have never seen a vehicle with soft white leds on it. Perhaps that is why they are using such bulbs in the new streetlights. I am all for it.