Archive for Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Letter to the editor: No shushing

August 1, 2017

To the editor:

Those of us who read and love the Harry Potter books know what I mean when I write of the Umbridge syndrome. While Dolores Umbridge was horrible at her stint as headmaster of Hogwarts, she did unify the schools. I beg of those who work at the library to let the babies, toddlers, children and everyone else to just be themselves. I love seeing people of all ages being so happy and comfortable at the library. That is a good thing. We have such great people working at the library. Please do not shush people but encourage conversations between all.

Comments

Bob Smith 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Libraries have an interest in maintaining a quiet atmosphere. You can go be yourself out of the sidewalk.

Bob Summers 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Is it any wonder societies touched by the hand of the critical thinking Liberal are collapsing?

They have no concept of the self discipline required to live under a set of rules for a prospering, cohesive civil society.

Glen Stovall 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Oh Bob Summers---liberals are in sharp ascent and will soon overwhelm the ugliness and hatred of conservatives.I am sure that is why you are so reactive and scared.

Justin Hoffman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

"Liberals are in sharp ascent and will soon overwhelm..." Lol! Yah, they sure showed that in November. Thanks for the laugh!

Glen Stovall 5 months, 3 weeks ago

The challenges to white supremacy and the ugliness and hate of conservatives are growing every day. You can feel the desperation of conservatives with an increase in voter suppression efforts, interstate cross check and racially gerrymandered districts. It's just a matter of time---love is patient.

Mike Riner 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't think libraries have to be pin-drop quiet, but when parents let their children scream as loud as they can and make no attempt to console/quiet/remove them, it offends many of the others using the library. Having a modicum of consideration for others works both ways!

Theodore Calvin 5 months, 3 weeks ago

...and that goes for any setting, not just a library. If that modicum could be realized everywhere we would have no resident Bobs. Oh nevermind, they'd still find some way to blame "liberals" and complain.

Justin Hoffman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

And you too would still find something to whine and pout about.

Richard Aronoff 5 months, 3 weeks ago

It amazes me how quickly a letter on a seemingly benign subject can devolve into a liberal vs. conservative thing. A great way to lower your blood pressure is to a) switch to decaf, and b) stop watching the news.

Now, speaking of children, perhaps Lawrence should look into something like the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum -- https://www.aahom.org/

Armen Kurdian 5 months, 3 weeks ago

You know, one time I saw a man-eating cabbage.

No sorry, there was a man who was eating cabbage, it wasn't some kind of weird cabbage monster. Although I heard they do exist somewhere. i saw it on the internet.

This is my contribution to the discussion, I hope it is helpful.

Richard Heckler 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Hands On Museums are quite interesting and loaded with substance. They suck young minds in with ease. Fascinating.