Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Not entry level

April 18, 2017

To the editor:

Maybe he’s learning.

We’ve heard this a few times in the less than 100 days Trump has been in the White House. We heard it when he successfully read a teleprompter at his speech to the joint session. We heard it when he ordered 59 Tomahawk missiles to strike an airfield in Syria. And we heard it again when he dropped the mother of all bombs on Afghanistan.

Maybe he’s learning.

Regardless of whether you believe this (I happen not to) the salient fact here is that the position of president of the United States is not one where you learn “on the job.” It’s the top of the line, the ultimate promotion. It is the culmination of a career spent training to be a world leader. It is not an entry-level position.

I don’t want an entry-level president. I don’t want the nuclear codes in the hands of a man who orders an air strike while eating a “beautiful” piece of chocolate cake. I don’t want a man who didn’t know that diplomacy was “not so easy” to be in charge of foreign relations. I don’t want a president who didn’t know health care could be “so complicated” in charge of health care. I don’t want a president whose sole ideology is self-interest to be in control of the welfare of our citizens or our environment. An entry-level president places not only our country but the entire world in grave danger.

Comments

Bob Smith 4 months ago

I don't want to take advice from someone who "overuses" and "abuses" quotation marks.

Brock Masters 4 months ago

President Trump is doing just fine. Perfect? Nope, but prefer him over a career politician and obviously so did the voters that elected him.

You may not want him, but he is your president. Next time around make sure the Dems run a candidate that isn't crooked and has a real connection with the people.

Charles L. Bloss, Jr. 4 months ago

The only president who does not learn " on the job " is one serving a second term. I think so far Trump is doing well, considering he is not a politician but a very successful businessman. Do not forget he and family members are not taking a salary. He is trying to do what he promised, and what got him elected. The swamp needs quite a bit more draining.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 months ago

I think that the only reason Trump was elected was because of the out dated fraud of the "Electoral College" It should have been scrapped with the slavery it was intended to prevent from influencing elections. Mrs. Clinton won.

But in the "Electoral College where her association with the racist hatred of the previous president was readily apparent, she was not inaugurated.

But even so. there is much to be said on the bashing and trashing of the previous President by Trump, the entrenched racial hatred of the black, non-citizen, Muslim president (according to Trumps crap). Mrs. Clinton who was associated with the demeaned past president won the election in any other election in the country (The winner is the one who gets the MOST VOTES!).

But because of the electoral college fraud, we are stuck with this degenerate, bigoted, perverted liar who "shoots from the hip" and is placing the country in dire peril with his stupidity.

Brandon Devlin 4 months ago

Yes, we're all aware that's what you think.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 months ago

What I think?? I think the Republicans have awakened to the horrible reality that they have hung their future on a total jerk who could attract hordes of screaming idiots to political events and have sold their souls to the devil.

To a man, they probably want to impeach him now but that would further drag the GOP into the morass that has been created. Most Republicans in Congress are wimps and weasels who could not do the right thing if it bit them on the butt.

So what "I" think is really inconsequential. But I do think the future is really bleak for all the folks that thought Trump was the savior of the nation. That is how Hitler got in. I have given you references to that for you to study if you dare. Happy reading!!

Brandon Devlin 4 months ago

Well, when you begin your rant with "I think. . ."

Bob Smith 4 months ago

The little voices in your head are getting louder, aren't they, Fred?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 4 months ago

I agree with this letter writer. Running a business is nothing like running a government. But everyone thinks, that the skills are the same. Trump is used to doing what he wants, and everyone under him doing what he tells them to do. Now he has representatives from all states and a constitution to deal with. Being president is not being a CEO or dictator. And maybe he needs to stay at the White House long enough to actually learn the job better.

Brandon Devlin 4 months ago

Dorothy, for once, I agree with you.

Richard Aronoff 4 months ago

You're right Dorothy. If a business was run like the government it would be out of business and sued by its stockholders.

Cille King 4 months ago

A business only requirement is to make money for the stockholders. A government needs to serve and protect it's citizens. There is a great deal of difference.