Archive for Friday, September 30, 2016

Appeals court rules against Kansas in voting rights case

September 30, 2016, 11:56 p.m. Updated October 1, 2016, 12:34 a.m.

— Thousands of prospective voters in Kansas who did not provide citizenship documents will be able to vote in the November election under a federal appeals court ruling late Friday that upheld a judge’s order.

The decision from the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals affirms lower court’s May order forcing Kansas to register more than 20,000 voters, a number that is expected to swell to 50,000 by the time of the November elections. It noted that the preliminary injunction serves the public interest.

The 10th Circuit ruled “no constitutional doubt arises” that federal law prohibits Kansas from requiring citizenship documents from people who register to vote at motor vehicle office. It added that its reasoning would be more fully explained in a forthcoming order.

The court had previously refused to issue an emergency stay of U.S. District Judge Julie Robinson’s order, and this latest comes after a three-judge panel heard oral arguments last month in the case.

Its decision is the latest setback for Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach. It comes just a day after the Kansas Republican avoided contempt proceedings by striking a deal with the American Civil Liberties Union to fully register and clearly inform affected voters that they could vote in the November election.

Kobach did not immediately return a cell phone message seeking comment, but his spokeswoman said his office would issue a statement later.

“The Court of Appeals’ decision will ensure that thousands of Kansans stay on the voter rolls. It is Secretary Kobach’s duty to give these voters proper notice of their rights, and to ensure that they can participate in November,” Dale Ho, director of the ACLU’s voting rights project, said in an emailed statement. “We hope that further court intervention will be unnecessary to ensure that he fulfills that obligation.”

Kobach has championed the proof-of-citizenship requirement as a way to prevent fraud by people in the country illegally. Critics contend such fraud is rare. They also say the requirement suppresses turnout because eligible citizens may not be able to immediately provide documentation such as a passport, birth certificate or naturalization papers.

Comments

Bob Forer 8 months ago

Kobach the proverbial loser lost again. Cry me a river.

Richard Heckler 8 months ago

Kris and Sam will not give it up. They have zero respect for any court decision that votes against the ALEC agenda.

Sam Crow 8 months ago

Just more liberal legislation from the bench.

It is expected from the 10th circus.

In the meantime democrats in Florida are throwing a fit because Chick-fil-A is hosting a voter registration drive there.

A leading democrat there said " she is all in favor of getting out the vote — just not at Chick-fil-A."

I guess liberals dont eat chicken.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 8 months ago

By "she" his is talking about Susan McGrath, not Hillary. Just to clear that up. And guess what? Us liberals don't have to agree on everything. I disagree with her. But I'm not going to be shunned, because I don't agree with what she said. Try that with the Republicans.

If I was a Democrat in that city needing to register, I would walk in, register and leave. If they require you to buy something while you are there, then they are breaking the law. Also, I would check on my registration afterward to make sure it was turned in.

Paul Beyer 8 months ago

If I still needed to register, i would have no problem with going there to do it. But I will never spend one penny on their product. Actually I wouldn't accept their product if it was free. That's my choice Plus I voted straight GOP until W showed up, never again will I cast a vote for this iteration of the GOP.

beth newman 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Now I get it. 50,000 votes could swing an election but not this one so I think elections are rigged these days by manipulation of the computerized voting apparatuses. It's a smoke screen the proof of citizenship is. I mean hey if it would work fine, but use it to cover your ass if it doesn't by rigging the voting apparatuses.

beth newman 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Voting Apparatuses are to the lobbyists as paraphernalia is to the dope feen. Or an uncorked bottle of wine is to the wine officianato, or a extra hole in the middle of your forhead tends to limit your vocabulary.🍷

beth newman 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyways if it's not the 🍷 it's a chic- fillay voter drive. Let me know when they bribe you w/a space suit & some L.S.D. I could really go somewhere important and write about it and then who knows.

Michael Kort 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Well, The Donald likes winners....and Kobach is quickly slipping of that guest list .

MerriAnnie Smith 7 months, 4 weeks ago

LJWorld.... how is this ruling "against Kansas"?

In fact, it is ruling in favor of Kansans and against vote blocking.

Michael Kort 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Yes, I would also retitle this article as " COURT RULES INFAVOR OF KANSANS WANTING TO VOTE AND AGAINST THE KS. SECRETARY OF STATES' , FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN VOTER LAW, DESIGNED TO KEEP KANSANS FROM VOTING "