Archive for Thursday, November 17, 2016

Opinion: Progressive America must resist Trump

November 17, 2016

It is time for the country to heal, time for us come together.

Or so people have been telling me since last week when democracy laid the biggest egg in American history. Well, here is my response: I have no interest in seeing this country heal. And I refuse to come together.

Understand: If this were just about politics, I’d never say something like that. No, I’d do what you’re supposed to when the candidate you favored is defeated. Suck it up.

But my anger is not about any given policy of the new president. No, it is about him, about the election of a fundamentally unsound, unserious and unfit man, a misogynist who brags about sexual assault, a bigot cheered to victory by the Ku Klux Klan. I have no idea how to “heal” woman hating and no desire to “come together” with the Klan.

I am similarly impatient with those who say we must give the new president a chance to lead and hope for his success.

Is that what Republicans did for Barack Obama when they gathered on the night of his inauguration and plotted a conspiracy of obstructionism to cripple his presidency? Is it what Donald Trump did when he spent years questioning the veracity of an ordinary birth certificate?

More to the point, the call to let Trump lead and hope for his success fails to address obvious questions: Where is he leading us? How are we defining success? Should we applaud even if he “leads” us into another unnecessary Middle East conflagration? Are we expected to be happy if his “success” comes in criminalizing abortion?

Frankly, I won’t cheer him even if he is not a disaster. In the unlikely event the man who considers global warming a Chinese hoax took action to stem that threat, I’d be happy, yes. On the improbable chance the man who swore to repeal the Affordable Care Act crafted something better, I would be glad, sure.

But at the end of the day, the man who did those things would still be a misogynist and a bigot.

Forgive me — or don’t; I really don’t care — if that remains a deal breaker for me. I refuse to participate in this process of organized amnesia, to cooperate in normalizing a man who stands for everything America should not.

So what now? Well, now those of us who feel the same way must make it a priority to get off our assets and vote in 2018. And in the meantime, resist.

Sunday evening on HBO’s “Last Week Tonight,” John Oliver offered a list of organizations that defend the causes and peoples that will be most threatened in the coming Reich and suggested you volunteer them your time and money. I think that’s a great idea, so I pass his list on to you:

Planned Parenthood (plannedparenthood.org); The Center For Reproductive Rights (reproductiverights.org); the Natural Resources Defense Council (nrdc.org); the International Refugee Assistance Project (refugeerights.org), the NAACP Legal Defense Fund (naacpldf.org); the Trevor Project for LGBTQ youth (thetrevorproject.org) and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (maldef.org). I’d also add The Southern Poverty Law Center (splcenter.org) and the American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org).

It’s time the majority that believes in a progressive, inclusive and compassionate America did more than just tweet about it. Nothing wrong with tweeting, but forces of exclusion, hatred and rage have overtaken the highest office in the land, so it’s also time for some old school activism. Time to march. Time to assail lawmakers. Time to boycott. Time to stand and be counted. Enough is enough.

Let’s take our country back.

— Leonard Pitts Jr. is a columnist for the Miami Herald. Readers may write to him via email at lpitts@miamiherald.com.

Comments

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 2 months ago

Another great article my Mr. Pitts. Now in the wreckage of another election thrown by the outdated "Electoral College" we are subject to four years of stupidity, foolishness and downright lawlessness. Trump is trying to get security clearances for his kids so they can fish around for anything that is detrimental to his opponents. This is a patently illegal scheme, security clearances are granted ONNLY to individuals who have a JOB that requires access to classified material, who have a NEED TO KNOW. Trump wants his family to have access to anything they can find to attack his detractors. This is totally illegal and an example of just how incompetent and unprepared Trump and his brood are for the job to which he was "elected".

John Middleton 1 year, 2 months ago

In the words of Pitts, now aligned with the likes of Jeremiah Wright, Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan, "Cry Me A River"...

Bob Summers 1 year, 2 months ago

"It is time for the country to heal, time for us come together".

Liberals lose. Liberals want the winners to do what the complex sensible Liberal wants to do.

"Progressive" what a misnomer.

The Liberal human can do nothing but "resist"..ergo regressive.

The Liberal knows the rules of the game. They lose. They riot. They promote domestic terrorism in their government schools. They want to change the rules because the constitution is a living breathing document and it's not fair they cannot will all the time.

Now THAT'S "progressive"

Justin Hoffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Another enjoyable cry-baby article by Pitts. Maybe he can head to a liberal college and partake in some coloring books, play-doh, and hot cocoa to soothe his sensitive and hurt feelings. Lol!

Bob Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

"...The Clinton Campaign Was Undone By Its Own Neglect And A Touch Of Arrogance, Staffers Say..." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/clinton-campaign-neglect_us_582cacb0e4b058ce7aa8b861

Justin Hoffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Reports say Clinton and her team were already half drunk in celebration by 9 o' clock.

Bob Summers 1 year, 2 months ago

Flaming Liberal Jesse Jackson wants Obama to offer a "preemptive full pardon" for Clinton.

This act alone would signify she is an innocent victim of the " vast right wing conspiracy".

Too funny.

Paul Beyer 1 year, 2 months ago

Every time Mr Pitts writes a column, the deplorable's all respond with mindless deflections to what he says.

Barb Gordon 1 year, 2 months ago

You gonna spam every article with that same link, Oklahoma? We'll just call you Merril.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 2 months ago

OK, folks. It will be interesting to see how Democrats react when Trump proposes a massive public works project almost identical to Obama's proposals that the Republican routinely voted down over both of Obama's terms as "excessive Washington spending by Democrats who just want to solve everything by spend, spend, spend."

Hopefully they will be gracious enough to point out the similarity to the Obama proposals that were so adamantly rejected and say: "oh, so the Republicans now see the light now that their man in at the top!" and prove that when there is common ground, that unlike the Republicans with Obama, the Dems will join the Republicans for a bipartisan vote.

Similarly, any rejection of Obamacare that is followed by a Trumpcare will be clearly be outed by Dems as a reformed Obamacare, something that the Republicans were unwilling to even consider for purely partisan reasons, These things will clearly establish the fact that the Republican Party is a party that stands for "Republicans First," not "American First."

It doesn't mean that Democrats won't disagree on a host of topics with Republicans or vice versa, but it will hopefully establish the fact that Democrats can work with Republicans where there is common ground, which the Republicans have repeatedly shown an unwillingness to do during the 8 years of Obama. The Democrats were just as guilty as not wanting to play with the Republicans during the part of the first term of Obama when they led both houses; hopefully they will be the first party to turn that around. Whether the Republicans decide that is a value worth practicing will be up to them, and hopefully the American electorate will be keeping score.

Kathy Roberts 1 year, 2 months ago

So tell me Trump voters,as a gay American, am I safe? I'm not crying. I'm asking. Did you vote to get rid of me, to make me silent? Are you going to hurt me personally or just wait for the government to do it? Am I safe in your America as we watch him choose his cabinet? Is this what you wanted all along? I'm curious. Do you hate me?

Bob Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

I voted for Trump because he was the lesser of the two evils. You didn't enter into the equation.

Chris Bohling 1 year, 2 months ago

Exactly, and that's where you're horrendously wrong. You didn't bother to consider that Trump and his team want to take rights away from your fellow Americans. You didn't care that Trump's policy proposals violate 8 of the 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights. You are complicit in this.

Bob Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

"...You didn't care that Trump's policy proposals violate 8 of the 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights..." Citation, please? From a responsible site, if you'd be so good.

Kathy Roberts 1 year, 2 months ago

Well, Bob. I guess Satan was on your ballot if you chose the lesser of two evils. Pardon me, but what did you have to lose if Trump ended up doing exactly what he said he would. My guess: not much. Me, well, I'll lose all of my rights. I'll be on the other side of the Apartheid line and don't pretend you didn't think it was possible. He said so. He chose Pence as VP. You had all the information. You decided to read the storyline that best fit your mindset.

Bob Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

If Satan was running against Hillary, you bet I'd have voted for him. Perhaps all the gloom and doom you're getting hysterical over won't happen.

Kathy Roberts 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm not hysterical, Bob. I'm pissed. The difference is action vs. inaction. I will fight you until my last breath, Bob, because you are not American. You are a parasite that feeds on the body politic.

Bob Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

I do not think you have the right to judge who is or isn't an American. You are simply background noise. Have fun storming the castle.

Brock Masters 1 year, 1 month ago

I will adamently defend your civil rights and your personal safety. Your sexual orientation has nothing to do with how I feel about you and your rights. You're an American and are entitled to all the rights and privileges of a citizen.

Justice should be blind, but we know it isn't and therefore when injustice raises its ugly head regardless of the source, it is my duty and obligation to speak out.

I know some will doubt me, but here is an excerpt from a blog I wrote a few weeks back.

"I can say that I respect you as a person no matter your race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or political beliefs. I will defend you as a person and your right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." http://cjonline.com/blog/kansastruthteller/2016-11-11/open-letter

I seriously doubt you have anything to fear, but if Trump attacks you I will stand with you against him.

Brock Masters 1 year, 1 month ago

Kathy Roberts let me ask a question. When Hillary and others called me deplorable, racist, homophobic etc. did you stand up for next or did you remain silent or even applaud? Regardless of your answer I will stand by you against any attacked by individuals or our government but hope you will do the same for me regardless of which candidate I support or my political or religious views.

Bob Summers 1 year, 1 month ago

Obama has run America into a ditch. China see "hope and change" with Trump.

Beijing (AFP) - Chinese state-run media lauded Donald Trump Tuesday after a phone call between him and President Xi Jinping, saying that the president-elect's emergence could mark a "reshaping" of Sino-American relations.