Archive for Monday, June 13, 2016

Letter to the editor: Matter of pride?

June 13, 2016

To the editor:

We’ve all done it. All of us. We’ve been wrong about something, often with a family member, a husband or wife or child. Not something big, perhaps it was venal, an outburst of temper, simple selfishness. Maybe I wasn’t listening and suddenly am squabbling about nothing. But I didn’t back off, dug in my heels, and then there’s that empty feeling below my heart, and just above my gut. Pride preceedeth the fall. And, I asked myself, how do I get out of this?

A lot of Republicans are asking themselves that question today, both inside and outside Kansas. Outside Kansas, what to do about Donald Trump? How did our party support this man at all? How can I live with helping to make him the president and giving someone like him access to all that enormous power? I don’t need to repeat here his litany of racist, sexist, xenophobic, flat stupid statements; if you’re reading this you know. For politicians caught in this dilemma, it’s hard to go back on so many years of undiluted contrarianism toward anything Clinton or Obama. But they know. Trump is just so horribly wrong. Will pride get in the way? Can they choose their country over their party?

Inside Kansas, Republican legislators have cut taxes to irresponsible levels, have refused to fund schools and are threatening to ignore the Kansas Constitution. Will pride stay in their way or will they go back to Topeka and fund our schools? We’ll soon see.

Comments

RJ Johnson 1 year, 1 month ago

Trump will win against the lying Clinton, and the Socialist Bern's!

Greg Cooper 1 year, 1 month ago

If you have followed the news, from multiple sources, you know that both candidates (I'm leaving the Bern out because he is not a contender) you know that many facts have been distorted by both. The thing to look at, in my opinion, is what the candidates have advanced as real, solid ideas that can actually be accomplished. And the Donald has advanced, that I know of, nothing that is probable, let alone possible.

In an election campaign one has to use what can be verified as a move to enhance the American society. Trump has advanced nothing but racist talking points, economic magic, "the deal", trade isolationism, and more racism. If that is a winner, we have a grave problem in this nation. At least Clinton advances programs that have in mind thee whole of society. You may not agree with some, but she doesn't advocate the deepening of racial tension, religious tension, and loosening of economic programs designed to keep the economy on an even keel as does Trump.

Kate Rogge 1 year, 1 month ago

Mr. Trump is a vulgar, incoherent, sideshow barker. He is incapable of being the man you imagine him to be.

Kate Rogge 1 year, 1 month ago

My brothers, brother-in-law, cousins, uncles, nephews, ex-husband, and my former lovers are white men. I've loved and respected them all as good men. And all of them, to a man, would do a better job as President than Mr. Trump.

Jerome Bradley 1 year, 1 month ago

Good luck with that major demographic issue he has!

Paul Beyer 1 year, 1 month ago

And like Trump, you'll lie and say you never made such a bet. After all, you want to be like your "leader".

Greg Cooper 1 year, 1 month ago

No, Bart, I do not mean that at all. You know as well as I that there are black, brown, and yellow people who are racist. You also know that the reasons I have listed that Trump will not be president have nothing to do with his race or age, but with his ideas concerning race, economics, and nearly everything else.

Nice try, and you will continue your baseless bludgeoning of everyone who doesn't toe your line, but wrong in essence and wrong in practice.

Greg Cooper 1 year, 1 month ago

All those are personal opinion that do not answer my response. Your only reason for supporting him is the mistaken idea that anyone who doesn't like Trump is anyone who is not an old white man. AND, you've given no reason he should, let alone will, be president.

Your angst continues.

Barb Gordon 1 year, 1 month ago

That's essentially what Greg told you, yes. You've basically conceded the argument.

Paul Beyer 1 year, 1 month ago

This what trump said on Fox: "Trump said on Fox. "You have many, many people, thousands of people, already in our country that are sick with hate." I think that describes far too many mindless GOP voters. I'm sure these same people think Trump is not what he shows he is, every time he opens his loud mouth. Wouldn't you agree with this, bart, along with all the posters named Bob who rant on this site?

Kate Rogge 1 year, 1 month ago

"Social justice warrior" (commonly abbreviated SJW) is a pejorative term for an individual promoting socially progressive views; including feminism, civil rights, multiculturalism, political correctness, and identity politics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

How would President Trump deal with SJWs?

Paul Beyer 1 year, 1 month ago

Your example is pure BS, but you don't care. Trump spouts the lie and you believe it. Angry white men, mostly ignorant, uneducated, unskilled and unemployed believe in him. Why aren't they busy getting educated, acquiring marketable skills, and in general working to get ahead. Or, maybe it's easier to whine about how bad off they are?

Greg Cooper 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm not sure why you think Trump will speak the truth as president, because he has no idea as to the truth of most of which he speaks. Fact checking, Bart, is your friend. Try it.

Meanwhile, you've got it completely bass-ackwards, Bart: The SJWs of whom you are so afraid, in general, are the ones who actually, as Dorothy cited, support inclusiveness, unlike you and your daddy, Trump. And any presidential candidate who speaks so openly of excluding so many people and nations would not be good for the nation. So, no, I don't think he will overcome the majority of voters who actually think about issues, unlike you and yours.

Greg Cooper 1 year, 1 month ago

OK, Bart, tell us ONE thing Trump is speaking truth about, will you? I mean, real, factual truth. We'll wait.

Oh, and what I hate is people who make no effort to think outside their own narrow, selfish borders. Just clarifying that.

Paul Beyer 1 year, 1 month ago

bBart, once more, a flat out lie. Trump loves supporters like you. The post plainly say, 80% of females coming in are raped, not 80% of illegals. But a little lie like that doesn't matter to Trumps supporters, he and you neither care about facts or the truth about anything, just great soundbite to stir up stupid people who will believe anything or at least, any lie he screams out.

Greg Cooper 1 year, 1 month ago

As Paul has dealt with lie number two, I will reply to lie number one: your characterization of me is in no way supported by any fact, nor even any insinuation. You would be surprised, I suspect, with a the political bents of my friends and acquaintances. It is possible that those of us who possess the DRD4 condition are just a touch less antagonistic and a bit more able to define and recognize BS when we encounter it. You don't know a thing about me but what you read here and that, old pal, is but a small slice of my life. On the other hand, I stand by my statement and am truly amazed that you can make blanket suppositions about anyone you don't know. But, then, you make the same suppositions about any idea you encounter, too, so the pattern seems to hold, in your case.