KU Today: 10 cool KU buildings worth getting off the beaten path to find
The Campanile towers over Marvin Grove and fills campus with music. Stately Strong Hall is the centerpiece of Jayhawk Boulevard. And Fraser Hall’s sky-high flagpoles can be seen from miles outside Lawrence.
But Kansas University has many view-worthy buildings that aren’t on the beaten path. Here are 10 hidden gems worth scoping out.
220 Indiana St., in Burcham Park
Opened in 2009, the sleek and modern KU Boathouse next to the Kansas River is home to the men’s and women’s rowing teams’ boats and locker rooms.
Chamney House and Center for Design Research
2544 Westbrooke Circle
Old joins new at this spot, where a stone house and matching barn used by a dairy farm in the early 1900s complement the adjacent Center for Design Research, a modern facility for collaborative research in sustainable energy, dedicated in 2011 and designed and built by KU architecture students.
Chancellor’s residence (The Outlook)
1532 Lilac Lane
Built in 1912, this elegant, three-story, 26-room house was willed to KU in 1939 and has been home to every chancellor since.
Hall Center for the Humanities
900 Sunnyside Ave.
Stone arches from KU’s oldest surviving structure — the 1887 powerhouse — were incorporated into this new building dedicated in 2005.
Max Kade Center
1134 W. 11th St.
Concealed by trees on a cul de sac just off 11th Street, this mansion is home to the Max Kade Center for German-American Studies and KU’s Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures.
The limestone house was originally built in 1927 for Mervin T. Sudler, Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy and dean of the Medical School.
1506 Engel Road
From its main entrance atop Daisy Hill, the University Honors Program’s home looks like a concrete shoebox. Inside, the modern building opens into a living room-like walk-out basement with a spiral staircase and lots of glass overlooking the slope behind.
The 1971 building was designed by Kivett & Myers, a Kansas City, Mo., architecture firm that also designed the Kansas City International Airport and the Royals and Chiefs stadiums.
Spencer Research Library
1450 Poplar Lane
From Jayhawk Boulevard, Strong Hall eclipses this neoclassical building from view. Built of white Indiana limestone, it features a large terrace adjoining it to the back side of Strong and, on the other side, windows overlooking Marvin Grove.
1545 Lilac Lane
Originally Watkins Memorial Hospital, it opened in January 1932. The unusual splayed-V design of the stone building, by State Architect Joseph E. Radotinsky, accommodates its site on the edge of the hill.
There’s a limestone bas-relief of St. George and the Dragon and animals, birds and reptiles carved around the front door.
1314 Jayhawk Blvd.
This mid-century building was first built as the Wesley Foundation Student Center, funded by the United Methodist Church and home to an auditorium, chapel, meeting rooms, lounges and a kitchen.
Wilna ‘Willie’ Crawford Community Center
1346 Louisiana St.
Juanita Strait, a longtime piano teacher and widow of a physical education professor, befriended many students in the nearby scholarship halls while living in this 1892 house.
At her death in 2002, the house was bequeathed to KU Endowment and refurbished into a community center for scholarship hall residents and an office and apartment for their director.
— Source: KU Places Directory (places.ku.edu/buildings)