Archive for Tuesday, March 25, 2014

One not done: Wayne Selden to return for sophomore season at Kansas

Kansas guard Wayne Selden pulls up for a late three against Iowa State guard Naz Long on Friday, March 14, 2014 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

March 25, 2014, 2:35 p.m. Updated March 26, 2014, 12:38 a.m.

Wayne Selden — who was listed as a likely first-round pick in the 2014 NBA Draft by various analysts for much of his freshman season — tweeted on Tuesday that he’s putting off the pros for at least a year.

“Want to let Jayhawk Nation know, I will be returning for my sophomore season! Can’t wait to get to work & get back in the fieldhouse,” Selden, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound shooting guard from Roxbury, Mass., wrote on Twitter shortly after 2 p.m.

He typed those words hours after making a morning phone call to KU coach Bill Self.

“Wayne contacted me this morning and said he was getting annoyed with all the speculation on whether or not he was going to return to school next year or not. He said, ‘What do I do?,’ and I said, ‘If you feel comfortable with everything, tweet it out,’” Self said. “I told him to make sure you are sure. Of course, he is sure.”

The McDonald’s All-American, who had no comment on his future after Sunday’s season-ending loss to Stanford, averaged 9.9 points and 2.7 rebounds for the 25-10 Jayhawks. NBA sources have told the Journal-World that he would have been a likely second-round pick in the 2014 Draft, though some analysts still believe he might have been included in the first round.

“Wayne had a terrific freshman year and he is just going to continue to get better. He’s excited about the opportunity for himself to get better and also for our team to improve and be stronger next year. He’s excited about the role he will have,” Self said.

“We’re very happy about this, but it comes as no surprise. Wayne has never led us to believe anything other than he was committed. If the timing is right and when the time is right and it’s time for him to make a decision for whether he stays in school longer, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Certainly he’s on board with being a Jayhawk in 2014-15,” Self added.

Asked if Selden might be shifted to point guard in the future, Self said: “I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see how everything plays out.”

Self said there was “no timetable” for freshman center Joel Embiid to announce his future plans. He and Andrew Wiggins are expected to be battling it out with Duke’s Jabari Parker for the top spot in the 2014 Draft.

“I hope I can have a chance to do some postseason meetings (with players) before I leave to go to the Final Four,” said Self, who has given the Jayhawks the week off. “We do not have a set pattern on what is going on yet.”

Self said he is not taking the week off.

“Probably not. We’ve got some recruiting stuff we’ve got to do,” he said. “Unfortunately we are not working on what we want to work on this week. Certainly there are some things we need to get done before we kick it in for recruiting in April.”

Asked to give a final comment on a season in which KU went 25-10 and won a 10th straight Big 12 regular-season title, but also lost in the Round of 32 of the NCAAs, the Jayhawks’ 11th-year coach said: “It was good. We obviously didn’t play as well the last five or six games after Jo got hurt (KU went 3-3 in its last six games with Embiid out of action because of a stress fracture in his back).

“I’m not saying it was the biggest reason and I’m not making excuses, (but) we weren’t the same after he got hurt as we were before. Tarik (Black) did a great job. Other guys played very well at times. When it counted the most we picked a bad time to shoot it the way we did and not perform very well.

“I’m proud of a bunch of kids who tried real hard and hopefully when we are in this position again we’ll respond favorably.”

Comments

Mike Anderson 5 months ago

None of the Jayhawks should be looking to go to the NBA this season. They might have "talent" but not enough for the NBA level. If they have a hole in their game playing at KU will allow them to fix it. At the same time it allows them to get bigger and stronger. Hopefully they are thinking long-term - staying in the NBA - rather than getting that bonus. Selby is a classic example - talented yes but not ready for prime time.

Robert Rauktis 5 months ago

Actually, if they don't want to be here…let them go. A motivated, experienced player beats the listless, what-if locker room poison any day. And I'd think they're more interesting to watch. I'd rather highlight reels of shot blocks or made free throws late in the tourney, than spectacular dunks. There are plenty of those in the Hamburger game or the AAU circuit.

It's unfortunate that learned players would be more dependable, but hey, that's why they call it college.

Adam Kasson 4 months, 4 weeks ago

When did Seldon become NBA talk??? I never heard his name on any nba chat boards come up or anything at least not first round talk. Win some more games, stay a couple years and then make your decision. These other dudes one and dones shouldn't have even signed up if they couldn't stick around long enough to win a few games. They should make kids stay at least 2 yrs min.

Armen Kurdian 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I can't believe we were actually having this conversation about Selden.

Brian Conrad 4 months, 4 weeks ago

what a bunch of stupid comments... THANKS FOR BEING A JAYHAWK WAYNE ! Beware of trolls.. Adam , Armen must not be able to read ... if not for one and done rule Wayne would have been first round pick out of high school. all draft experts confirm late first early second.. Wayne has so much potential , he Will develop into an excellent long term pro.. Thanks for staying and almost every Hawk fan I know smiled little brighter with the news.. some like those above not glass half empty .. they are just flat miserable..

Adam Kasson 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I don't care what you think about my opinion. Im entitled to it and will stand by what I feel and think. You can go dig a hole and bury yourself for all I care. All im trying to say is stick around long enough that everybody remembers your name and who you are. I def don't have any problem with kids making the decision but in my mind if your not going top 10 or top 20 first round perhaps then maybe come back get better and you can possibly make your stock rise and get picked higher and make more money. There's a thought. I just think any kid that has had the word NBA whispered in there ear since high school should think about maybe what the word College means, classes, winning games and even team. I do realize that several players on Ku team have NBA raw talent and im not dis-crediting any of them. Some first, some second and some probly third round potential but do want us to still have and maintain a team the time seniors graduate and players leave early. Brian- Keep that in mind when we don't have several key componants to our program and definitely I hope your not going to be one of those types that complains when we lose eventually if all our good players jet. The good news is we are deep enough to cover a lot of holes or loss of players and our 2nd 5-6 on the bench could probably start and play for anybody else in the country. So I think we all as ku fans become spoiled is what really happens. once again im with you in thanking Wayne for coming back, he will be a bigtime player and component to how far we go next year in many games. One of my favorite players Paul Pierce didn't leave until his Jr year and still got drafted high and is currently making a ton of money in the NBA.