Letters to the Editor

Letter: Patrols needed

March 15, 2014

To the editor:

Crime in the Pinckney and Burcham Park areas has reached an alarming rate. The lack of patrol concerns me.

Within the last year, both my vehicle and my husband’s were broken into. On another occasion, my husband witnessed a strange man come onto our property and attempt to open my car doors. Luckily that time nothing was stolen or broken. Other suspicious incidents have occurred, and when combined with the recent events (dead body found and man stabbed), we feel that there isn’t enough action being taken by police in the area.

A week before reading about the body, I notified police of a deranged man with a broken beer bottle in my yard. He was talking to himself and jumping in front of passing vehicles, and I feared for my child’s safety and my own. When police arrived, they questioned him and then left him in my yard. I had to call them back to have him removed.

On another occasion, a wailing man was lying on the sidewalk in front of my house. He was screaming profanities and throwing his shoes. Dispatch advised me to approach the man and ask him if he was OK. What? I’m supposed to approach a strange, apparently violent, man to ask him if he’s OK? That sounds completely safe.

Perhaps the Lawrence Police Department needs a lesson in time management, or perhaps they could spend less time sitting in the North Lawrence O’Reilly’s parking lot and patrol Burcham Park and Pinckney.

Comments

Rick Johnson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Yup, the homeless shelter is great, isn't it!!

Boy, what a great idea that one was!

The funny part is most of those people at the homeless shelter aren't even from Lawrence. We tried to tell the city/county that if they approved the homeless shelter they would come, from all area's far and wide! including those who are mentally ill! Guess what, that is what happened. So now you all have to deal with it. SO stop complaining!

The Police Dept was already responding to daily calls at the small temporary shelter downtown. When the city/county approved the money for the new and LARGER shelter they failed to allot more money for the Police Dept for the increase people/calls!

Oh, and by the way. If you'd keep your vehicles locked you wouldn't have the homeless people rummaging through you vehicles!!

Duh!

Amy Varoli Elliott 9 months, 2 weeks ago

So you must personally know these people to be so sure they are from the homeless shelter. If not go troll and spew your hate elsewhere.

Julius Nolan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

How do you know these people are all from the homeless shelter? How do you know the homeless come from all over since Lawrence is such a great place to be homeless?

Ron Holzwarth 9 months, 2 weeks ago

You can be in the homeless shelter, or you can be on the streets. But not both at the same time. It therefore follows that persons causing problems at night are obviously not in the homeless shelter.

If there are individuals that have problems, it would be better for them to be in a homeless shelter with at least a minimum staff to deal with any problems that might arise.

And, apparently the crime that the letter writer is referring to is not very much related to the homeless shelter in Lawrence. Do you have any idea how far it is from Burcham Park and Pinckney to 3655 east 25th Street?

I'll help you out a bit. Pinckney Elementary is north of 6th Street, and Burcham Park is directly east of 2nd Street. That's a very long walk, especially at night.

Leslie Swearingen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

And how do the homeless people get from the East Lawrence shelter over to the Northwest Burcham Park area?

Kristin had a legitimate complaint and I would hope that the police would reply to it. She and her family should not have to deal with this. I would think that the worry and fear would be escalating day by day.

Thanks for the letter, this is what we need to know about our town and it needs to be stopped-now.

Ron Holzwarth 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm wondering if the letter writer really knows exactly how much time the police spend parked in the North Lawrence O’Reilly’s parking lot. Did she watch them, using a stopwatch? And, would that amount of time be sufficient to deter the crime in her area?

I tend to think she just noticed them there a few times passing by, but I could be wrong. Maybe she really was watching them.

Julius Nolan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

She sounds like she drove by there once, saw a Police car there and using her outstanding reasoning skills to deduce they are always there. Maybe the one time she saw them they were busy writing up an investigation report for a crime that had just occurred. Have seen LPD many times at Burcham, which i visit 2-3 times a day,, many times parked at old VFW post, many times at various areas in Pinckney area patrolling. However, simple fact is you can't have a car on every street at all times and the odds are very great the criminals are not the homeless, but residents of that neighborhood, its not exactly an exclusive high income area.

Kristen Renfro 9 months, 2 weeks ago

So instead of rallying around your community you attack them about their income and where they live? Grow up. I used O'Rileys as an example. Feel free to drive by on a wednesday night and see the 2-3 patrol units hanging out. Thanks for the immature replies.

Julius Nolan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Define hanging out. I was pointing out that several posters immediately started blaming the homeless and the shelter residents. The Pinckney neighborhood has some fine residents, but also many that are not.Lived in that neighborhood for 7 years and had no problems with homeless but did have some problems with some not so upstanding citizens who live there.

9 months, 2 weeks ago

The police are THEE most surveilled employees of any occupation... didn't used to be this way. It's kind of ironic that the only folks who get more attention is the prison population...