Letters to the Editor

Letter: Policy absurdity

January 14, 2014

To the editor:

I offer a hypothetical case illustrating the danger and absurdity of the Kansas Board of Regents’ social media policy.

Imagine an athletic coach physically and verbally abusing a player on campus, an apparent violation of the university code. The university administration, learning of the incident, decides it is better public relations to buy out the contract of the coach, for multi-millions, rather than bringing charges against him.

A faculty member passing by records the assault on a smart phone.Disappointed that the coach receives a multi-million-dollar payoff without facing charges, posts the video on You Tube. It goes viral; the public is shocked by the coach’s abuse of a student/athlete.

A possible outcome under the new social media rule: While the university pays off the coach, it fires the faculty member for posting the video on social media because the video is considered “contrary to the best interest of the university” and “discredits the university.”

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 3 months ago

"It is not a faculty members job to assume they know what is fair and not fair."

Each and every one of us has a conscience which lets us know when we witness something that is unjust or unfair. We are morally obligated to stand up, speak up, do something when we see someone being mistreated, or when our rights are being violated. Push back, lean in, it is your right and responsibility as an American to do what you can to make things better for yourself and for others.

Steve King 3 months ago

And we can't agree or accept anything you publish Keith Richards as you already show your willingness to bend the truth and break the rules. If you can't or won't post under your real name then how can we put any credibility to anything you say. Hiding and breaking the rules is what you've proven you're capable of. This forum has rules and yet you purposely choose to ignore them. Says a lot for your respect for the forum and most importantly, the rest of us. And thus we will return the same respect by ignoring you.

Don Brennaman 3 months ago

see something say something?

Keith Richards 3 months ago

David, I agree with your title "Police Absurdity" but not the content. I find it absurd that people in today's society believe they are the police and it is their responsibility to video record and post everything on social media. If a KU faculty records an infraction, take the information to the proper authorities and at that point, they have done their duty. It is not a faculty members job to assume they know what is fair and not fair. There legal issues to deal with that a faculty member is not aware of but are known KU officials. Posting the infraction by the faculty member in your scenario is a petty and vindictive act and not their job.

Les Blevins 3 months ago

The letter writer wrote: "Moral: It is OK to assault a student on campus, but you could be fired were you to post the incident on social media."

Wrong; It isn't ok to physically abuse a student on campus or anywhere else but yes it is ok to post a video of such incident online.

Mara Cushion 3 months, 1 week ago

Wow, this sounds exactly like what happened to me. I reported a KU Music Prof for sexual harassment and KU decided they didn't want the responsibility of it, blamed me for his actions of pinching my butt, putting his hand on my breast, crudely staring at my breasts, hugging me tight so my breasts were smashed against his chest, inappropriate remarks about my body, and other emotional abuse. I'm guessing KU was more concerned with the reputation of employing a professor who abuses students, rather than protecting my civil rights. KU just wants me to stay quiet. So yes, it's OK to abuse a student, but not for the student to speak out against it.