Letters to the Editor

Letter: Faulty basis

January 4, 2014

To the editor:

John Hanna’s article in Saturday’s LJW “Voter citizenship law facing new scrutiny” closes with the statement of the foundation for the entire nationally hyped Kris Kobach crusade against voter fraud. The foundation rests on the fact that “During a December federal court hearing, he (Kobach) said his office had found the names of 20 noncitizens out of the about 1.7 million registered voters on the state’s voter rolls.” This is the basis for causing several years of expense, frustration, confusion and discouragement from the level of state government through county government to individual citizens.

Normally an elected state official wasting the already dwindling resources of the state would be under fire from everyone in state and local government and by an outraged citizenry. But these are not normal times in the state of Kansas. I urge you, Journal-World readers to keep this in mind when you cast your vote for secretary of State in November.

And I wish you all the best in your attempts to vote.

Comments

Cille King 1 year, 1 month ago

The League of Women Voters of Lawrence / Douglas County are getting ready to restart their contacts with people on the "Would-be voters in suspense list" (over 800 in Douglas County).

A few dozen calls were made before the Holiday Season, but now we begin in earnest in 2014 - an election year. If you receive a call, email, or visit from one of our members, please know that we are here to help, and have the variety of forms, information, and a portable copier to help you finish your voter registration.

Because democracy is not a spectator sport.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 1 month ago

Great that the league is assisting these voters. But I do like the voter ID laws. It is not unreasonable to ask for identification to vote.

Julius Nolan 1 year, 1 month ago

Kobach's solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Illegal's are not attempting to vote, they don't want to call attention to themselves. This is just an attempt to stop any voter who isn't a GOP fanati and anyone who can think for themselves.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 1 month ago

Explain how the law only targets non-GOP voters? I am not a republican but I can still vote?

Do they have a secret handshake that allows them to vote without ID?

William Enick 1 year, 1 month ago

You're living in a dream world Brock...it went right over your head again. Reality check: 20 non-citizens out of 1.7 million...(Get ready here it comes)....because the GOP got caught (evidence) trying to stop people who would vote Democrat from voting. Get it now?? Sheesh!

Cille King 1 year, 1 month ago

Do you not understand the difference between an ID to vote and proof of citizenship in order to be able to register to vote? Very few people carry around their proof of citizenship. Many can not remember where they might have put it - as it is usually only required to get a passport or to start school as a 6 year old.

For decades, the motor voter law has allowed people to register to vote when they get their drivers license. For decades the League (and other groups) have registered people to vote at numerous events. Since Kobach's law has been in place, NOT ONE of the people who filled out a voter registration application at a League registration event had their proof of citizenship with them in order to be able to complete their registration.

Maybe you can explain why about a third of the MV registrations that supplied their proof of citizenship did not have that information forwarded to the County Clerk's offices.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 1 month ago

Of course I understand the difference and support proof of citizenship. I think it is reasonable to prove you're a citizen to be able to vote.

Steve King 1 year, 1 month ago

Documented fraud: 20/1,700,000=0.0000117647

Yeah, that's a real threat.

Let's spend money on that problem and cut services to the less fortunate.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 1 month ago

I was born and raised in Iowa. I do not have any means to ensure I am an American citizen except a copy, unreadable, of my birth certificate that I got when I went into the US Army. I have voted in each election since I could vote at 21 and haven't needed anything to vote: I walk in, tell them my name, they give me the ballot, I complete it and walk out proudly wearing a sticky that says "I voted". What is wrong with that? Nothing. absolutely nothing. Stop this Kobach character from destroying the democracy!

Fred Mertz 1 year, 1 month ago

Abdu. Pretty easy to get an IA birth certificate. In person, by phone, online or by mail.

Here is the ink. http://www.idph.state.ia.us/apl/vital_records_info.asp#online

Fred Mertz 1 year, 1 month ago

It is not a poll tax. If it were it be a dead law by now. Try again. Yep, if you need an IA BC then yes, you have to spend the $20 if you don't have any other docs that prove you're a citizen..

Any idea how much it costs someone to exercise their second amendment right? To carry concealed you have to fork out about $500. Is that unconstitutional too? Or are you selected in who has to pay to exercise their rights?

Cille King 1 year, 1 month ago

The U.S. Supreme Court (June 2013) struck down Kobach's Arizona's law requiring proof of citizenship in order to register to vote. The only reason that Kobach's Kansas' law requiring proof of citizenship still stands is that Kansas was not included in the case. It will take another trip to the Supreme Court, or the Kansas Legislature and Governor to repeal the law. If it is unconstitutional in Arizona, it is unconstitutional in Kansas.

Steve King 1 year, 1 month ago

It's much ado about nothing. Total waste of time and resources. Obvious voter suppression tactic. A true Alec concoction. The last thing anyone here illegally is going to do is to draw attention to themselves. The occurrence is infinitesimal. And probably accidental. They probably thought they were entering a contest.