Archive for Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Proposed Kansas bill would allow stronger spanking

February 18, 2014

— A Kansas lawmaker is proposing a bill that would allow teachers, caregivers and parents to spank children hard enough to leave marks.

Current Kansas law allows spanking that doesn't leave marks. Rep. Gail Finney, a Democrat from Wichita, says she wants to allow up to 10 strikes of the hand and that could leave redness and bruising. The bill also would allow parents to give permission to others to spank their children.

It would continue to ban hitting a child with fists, in the head or body, or with a belt or switch.

Finney says she wants to restore parental rights, and improve discipline.

KCTV reports Rep. John Rubin, chairman of the House Corrections and Juvenile Justice Committee, says he isn't sure the committee will even consider the bill.

Comments

Milton Bland 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I agree that spanking, in most cases, is simply wrong,. And it should never be used in the classroom. However the degree of hypocrisy expressed by most Douglas County liberals is overwhelming. They are aghast at the thought of corporal punishment of helpless children, yet they support the ultimate physical abuse of those children not yet born. On a related blog, one comment referred to our state legislature as developing a "cave man" mentality that allows adults to kill their children. Well, that pretty well fits the pro-choice crowd.

Beator 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Do you really want a teacher spanking your child that is concerned about their background being checked first?

TOPEKA — The Kansas State Department of Education is still drafting new regulations that would require all teachers to submit fingerprints and undergo extensive background checks as a condition for keeping their licenses, but officials say those plans are already raising concerns among teachers in some districts....

Andrew Stahmer 1 month, 3 weeks ago

This legislation is FAR too vague; can whoopin' still be done behind the woodshed? Is it still ok to make your kid select their own 'switch' from the whippin' tree?

Leslie Swearingen 1 month, 4 weeks ago

I would be willing to bet that kids who shoot up schools have been physically disciplined at home, and that that has been twinned with totally indifference when the parents were not hitting them.

Spanking is a sign of emotional incontinence on the part of the parent and whether it works or not depends on the amount of fear the child has for the parent.

Addie Line 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Kids who shoot up schools don't need to be spanked, they need intensive mental health care and no access to guns. You really think a person contemplating shooting/murdering other people can be deterred by a spanking? No.

Larry Sturm 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Can you even think of the outrage of a mother if her child came home from school marked from a spanking at school. The teacher and the administer had better both leave town.

Cait McKnelly 1 month, 4 weeks ago

The Kansas legislature has officially gone psychotic.
I am an adult survivor of physical child abuse. I grew up at a time when a parent could actually murder their child and get away with it. I was hit with belts, switches and other weapons to the point where I bled. This bill was severely triggering to me when I read it.
A child can be abused without even showing bruises. Several children have died recently from being beaten to death with plastic plumbing tubing and never even showing a bruise. (Please look up rhabdomyolysis.)
I want to know how, what would be considered and tried as assault if it were an adult doing it to another adult, it can possibly be sanctioned when an adult does it to a child. Assault is assault.
I realize that this bill will, in all likelihood, not even leave committee, much less make it to the floor, but the fact that even ONE legislator even saw fit to introduce it is beyond my comprehension.
Welcome to "Christian" Sharia law. God bless Murrica.

Richard Heckler 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Imagine if the Koch brothers controlled congress and all state legislatures. USA would be exactly like Russia,China,Iraq and Nazi Germany. After all the Koch brothers are John Birchers.

The country will be controlled by ALEC legislation written up in secret meetings.

The Koch brothers have spent $8.2 million alone thus far on the North Carolina Senate Race.

The Kansas legislature needs spanking NOT millions of campaign Koch dollars injected.

Tommy Felts 1 month, 4 weeks ago

I am a 17 year old high school student and i can say that when i was younger i did get spanked when i needed it and it made me a stronger harder working person. That is how i learned right from wrong and then they're those kids that take guns to school. These are obviously the kids that did not learn right from wrong. It is sad that we have to go to school everyday and be worried about another student bringing a gun to school and killing us innocent people. School shootings were not heard of 20 years ago when parents were legally aloud to beat their kids when they needed it. I rest my case if you want kids to keep going to school everyday afraid of being shot then keep arguing the negatives about it but then ask yourself what are kids being taught when they're not spanked?

Ned Wolfsosoon 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Considering that "time out" was coinvented at KU, I'm surprised that this is being proposed and I'm also surprised it is coming from a Democrat (the party of non-violence, right?)

Kris Norton 1 month, 4 weeks ago

What are these tools doing over there? Really!?!?

Beer Guy 1 month, 4 weeks ago

At this rate we'll be burning witches at the stake in front of the capital building in a few years.

Jeanne Cunningham 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Isn't there some minimum IQ test that legislators should take even before being allowed to run??? OMG - this is going to be national news - again - and the world will continue to think that Kansans are all imbeciles!!! (which BTW - how does this relate to the color of the child's skin - if he/she is darker, can he/she be hit harder since it won't "show" as easily???? R U kidding????)

Armen Kurdian 1 month, 4 weeks ago

I am going to play Devil's advocate here and assume that the author of this article is either leaving out some important points, or is way over-simplifying the issue. Maybe it's that in case a parent spanks a child and unintentionally leaves a mark, that parent wouldn't be prosecuted for child abuse, but that it doesn't give a parent carte blanche to deliberately leave a welt. I can't possibly imagine the intent of the legislation would be to allow routine spankings that hurt a child.

If I'm right, then shame on the author for deliberately miscasting the legislation in order to generate this type of reaction. W/o reading the text of the law, I really don't know what it means.

James Howlette 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Hard enough to leave a bruise? What? Wouldn't you actually have to hit someone really hard for that to happen with just your open hand? How is that ok?

Addie Line 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Restore the parental right to physically harm your child? And how will CFS determine if the marks on a child's body came from less than 10 hits? "Welp little Suzy, your Mom did beat you hard enough to leave marks and make it so you can't tolerate sitting but she did it in under 10 swats so THATS HER RIGHT." This makes no sense and I have no idea how they could implement this. People should have better tools for providing discipline anyways. Beating your kid does nothing but create fear, teaches them poor coping and provide them with reason for resentment. Maybe this rep will pay for the future therapy bills of these kids too.

Wayne Kerr 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Clark Coan 1 month, 4 weeks ago

I saw a woman yesterday give her small son a swat on the butt after he wouldn't stop whining. He then shut up.

Whatever happened to "time outs" ?

I wonder if Gov. Joan Finney spanked Gail Finney?

Randall Uhrich 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Yeah!! Beat them. While you're at it, force the bible down their throats! We're actually paying these legislators?

Mropus Wan 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Stupid comes from both sides of the aisle in our state Legislature. There just really isn't much to hang your hat on with any pride with these twits in charge of our state. What a bunch of clowns.

Beator 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Rick Masters 1 month, 4 weeks ago

When exactly did The Onion start writing all of our legislation?

Fred Mion 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Kind of surprised that a Democrat came up with this one.

Betty Bartholomew 1 month, 4 weeks ago

And how will one determine whether the bruise was the result of a spanking or a fist? One of the signs of child abuse is bruising, you stupid legislative ... I think the LJW policies prevent me from finishing that sentence.

And having just perused the front page of her website, what a blatant bit of hypocrisy. "As a rule, I try to always support and vote on bills that positively affect the lives of the average Kansan and my local district." Unless they're kids.

A photo of her with some ROTC cadets(?) says, "Supporting our youth is paramount." Another says, "Youth and community first." But, ya know, spank the tar out of the youth first.

Guess even the Democrats out of Wichita are idiots and I find this to be absolutely disgusting (in case you can't tell).

Scott Burkhart 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Do the lawmakers in Topeka have nothing better to do than introduce stupid legislation all day long? And I'm not talking about this bill only! I think I'll propose a bill that allows me to spank any moron that introduces another stupid piece of legislation!

Stuart Evans 1 month, 4 weeks ago

WTF.. I don't think that it's a lack of violence that's the problem.. Just because your kid demands your attention, doesn't mean they need you to physically abuse them. How about any lawmaker who approves of this idea, should be given 10 lashes, hard enough to leave a bruise; Ms. Finney should take hers first.

Bart Johnson 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Wow. A bill to legalize child abuse. That's government for you.

Spanking and other corporeal punishments are harmful to the child both physically and mentally and they are completely unnecessary. Force should never be used against children unless it is to prevent them from hurting themselves or hurting someone else. Adults hitting children is the worst kind of bullying there is, and here someone is trying to extend the legality of it?!