Letters to the Editor

Letter: Take responsibility

August 9, 2014

To the editor:

As a Kansan, a recent college graduate, and a frustrated millennial, I am appalled by our governor’s constant, worn-out argument of blaming our nation’s president for the struggles of our state.

Growing up, my parents instilled in my brother and me a drive and work ethic to strive for success. We were taught that taking initiative requires also accepting the consequences of our actions. I am displeased not only by Gov. Brownback’s incessant blame game of linking every Kansas underperformance to the White House, but also by his lack of responsibility for the direction that he alone is leading our state.

As I would hope our governor is competent enough to acknowledge, he has both chambers of the Kansas Legislature at his disposal. This means that the current state Kansas is in, is a direct result of his policy, guidance and advice.

As a Kansan who believes in hard work, serving others and taking ownership of my actions in ventures that I work toward, I urge Brownback to stop blaming the president for this mess. He and his extremist cronies are the ones to blame. This one is on him. His party’s dissent makes it very apparent that Kansans are unhappy with the direction he is leading our state, not the way our nation is being ran.

I ask that our governor quits the blame game, and gets to work. Unless things change drastically, he’ll have to deal with being the sole person responsible for his retirement party in November.

Comments

Richard Heckler 4 months, 1 week ago

--- Sam Brownback's reckless tax dollar management and his choice to defund public education are well documented which have caught the attention of not only local news media but national sources as well.

Sam Brownback will come out with a truck load of distortions about Paul Davis between now and election day which is a dishonest campaign.

Paul Davis is not a "Lawrence Liberal" not by any stretch. Paul Davis is a moderate fiscal conservative socially responsible democrat which makes him the fiscal responsible candidate.

Richard Heckler 4 months, 1 week ago

--- Sam Brownback team will lie excessively about any candidate that would be challenging Sam Brownback. Sam Brownback represents the KOCH/ALEC political empire. Koch money also founded the Tea Party. Hmmmmmmm.

Kobach and Lynn Jenkins will be lying as well. This type of campaigning avoids the issues and is well organized to function in local, state and national political campaigns.

Does Kansas want a Koch/ALEC dictatorship in office? Certainly not.

This firm, named Aegis Strategic, is run by a former top executive at Charles and David Koch's flagship advocacy group, Americans for Prosperity.

Aegis says it can manage every aspect of a campaign, including advertising, direct mail, social media, and fundraising.

The consulting firm Aegis Strategic has been designed to handpick and support local, state, and federal candidates who share the views of Koch/ALEC political empire..

Yes chances are the campaigns of Roberts,Yoder,Jenkins and Brownback are being managed by Aegis Strategic. As well as state so called GOP candidates with the exception of Tom Sloan.

Fred Mertz 4 months, 1 week ago

And while the letter writer is correct there is a good chance they are part of the blame Bush, excuse Obama crowd.

Scott Burkhart 4 months, 1 week ago

Being a recent college graduate only tells me you don't have the first clue as to what you are talking about, although you are entitled to your opinion. Kansas is on a more sound course fiscally, than it was under Sebelius. Yes, revenues are down but so is the state debt. It is an economic fact that in this country states that have lower income taxes and fiscally responsible policies experience economic growth, job creation, and in-migration. The states of this country that have higher taxes, less fiscally responsible policies, and huge government bureaucracies, i.e. California, New York, Illinois, are in far worse shape than Kansas. It's easy to cherry pick the stats and claim "Brownback lied, people died." The truth is this state is in better shape, fiscally, than when he took over. As far as blaming Obama: This has been the worst fiscal recovery since the "Great Depression" which would probably still be going on if WWII hadn't broken out and FDR hadn't finally died. The job participation rate in the country is at a historic low. The jobs that have been created by this administration are either government jobs or part time jobs. Jobless numbers are down because people have dropped out of the work force and are not filing claims. The economic woes of this country and this state, are a direct result of a president that never managed anything, was the product of liberal classrooms and mentors, spent his formative years in a country that viewed the United States as an imperialistic problem in the world (Indonesia), and thinks that because he says he was a constitutional lawyer that he understands anything about the Constitution of the United States. He surrounds himself with surrogates that obfuscate their wrongdoings to a complicit press and counts on "college educated millenials" to buy the lie. So congratulations on your degree in whatever it is and your tremendous work ethic, but it won't do you any good because "you didn't build that."

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 4 months, 1 week ago

Excuse me. In California, they had a flashy actor who became a Republican governor who gave a bunch of tax cuts that did not create the wealth that it was supposed to, which put the state into major debt (sound familiar?). Then a practical, hard working, unassuming Democrat governor, who drives a economy car and wears off the rack suits, comes in, cuts spending, raises taxes to pay the bills, and puts the state back on an even keel financially. Our son is living in California and had no problems finding not 1, but 2 jobs as a cook in a restaurant. Actually the practical, not flashy Governor Brown has done this twice already. He's getting old; I hope California voters have figured this out.

Now we have a chance to elect a governor who is a practical person like most Kansans are. He hasn't been a career politician and ran for president. He is a family man, who cares about all the people of Kansas, not just trying to experiment, yet again, with the trickle down theory. In fact, I don't even think they believe in the trickle down theory anymore. They know it doesn't trickle down. They know that it just concentrates even more wealth at the top, and that's what they want. They could at least start being honest about their intentions. Of course, that would not get Brownback reelected for sure. So Brownback has to continue to be dishonest, even though everything is really working out just as he and his cronies have planned. Wake up, Kansas. Elect a real Kansan.

Fred Mertz 4 months, 1 week ago

Davis not a career politician? Really, only true because he is young, but he's been a politician for a while and is not leaving but trying for a higher office.

Brett McCabe 4 months, 1 week ago

Scott, you of course, and as usual, have no idea what you are talking about. I know that it is difficult to find out that everything you believe to be wrong....but here are some facts. Obama has reduced the deficit, saved us from a Republican-induced depression, killed Bin Laden, turned the economy around and passed the most important piece of social-justice legislation in the past 40 years.

While you like to call out recent college grads, why don't you take on someone your own size?

Republicans increase deficits, start wars, kill soldiers unnecessarily, levee massive deficits and have absolutely no clue as to how the economy works. Other than that, they abhor civil liberties. But the have gawd on their sides. And some guns. And a penchant for looking for easy answers to complex solutions. Plus they like country music.

John Graham 4 months, 1 week ago

Thank you for a completely useless rant showing your extreme bias against republicans. Glad to see you are open minded.

Scott Burkhart 4 months, 1 week ago

@ Brett McCabe - I'm sorry. Is the national debt over $17 trillion dollars now or not? Is this the lowest labor participation rate in national history or not? As far as the social legislation, do you mean the ACA where the President of the United States, repeatedly, went before the American public and told them if they liked their health plan, they could keep it.? If they liked their doctor, they could keep them? Then tells us 4 years later that he meant if he approved of our health plan we could keep it. Then changes key pieces after it rolls out for political convenience. 4 years and how many millions of dollars later, they can't get a website set up that 5 guys and a laptop could have done from Cupertino, CA for a fraction of the price. Our president lied so that a piece of legislation, that he really had nothing to do with the drafting of, could be passed strictly along partisan lines without debate or discussion. Where long standing rules had to be changed to get it passed. You accuse Republicans of starting wars. I accuse Democrats of placing our nation in grave danger as a result of inaction. Lastly, Mr. Woodard is an adult with every right to espouse his opinion. You tell me to pick on someone my own size? I find several people on these threads to be formidable debaters and I tip my hat to them. You, sir, are not one of them.

Leslie Swearingen 4 months, 1 week ago

President Obama graduated from Harvard Law School,. He was a civil rights attorney. He taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004.

All of this is easily verifiable, A child goes where their parents go. So, when his mother remarried to an Indonesian they both moved to Indonesia with him. If someone has a military parent and they grow up in military bases all over the world what does that mean about who they are as an adult? Does it mean they are more knowledgeable because they have been exposed to a different culture? I would think so.

Fred Mertz 4 months, 1 week ago

Not saying you're wrong, but this is the first I've heard he was a civil rights attorney. Can you direct me to your sources?

Mike Ford 4 months, 1 week ago

we have all known this for years. glad to see the rock you live under obscures reality.

Fred Mertz 4 months, 1 week ago

Mike, it is so hard not to stoop to your level. Can you ever just respond constructively to a post without attacking the person? Yes, you got me, I don't know everything.

Yes, I did not know Obama worked for a brief time at a law firm that did civil rights work. That is why I asked.

Name calling is not productive nor does it make you superior. Knowing your background makes me understand why you do what you do, but it is still hard not to lash out, but I will try to be tolerant of you.

Mike Ford 4 months, 1 week ago

Actually I'm stooping to your level. For years now people have attacked this president with ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. He attended Occidental College in LA and Graduated Harvard LAW and worked at Davis, Miner, Barnhall, and Gallard Law Firm in Chicago working as a junior partner doing civil rights casework. This is actually cited in the LA Times article another poster on here mentioned. You're quite the victim when you ask condescending questions about President Obama and don't expect any blowback.

Fred Mertz 4 months, 1 week ago

What condescending question did I ask?

Prove to me that you are smarter than me and show me where I asked a condescending question about the president.

I replied to the poster and thanked her for those links. Asking a question to gain knowledge is not condescending so please show me where I was.

If you notice I don't call you or anyone else on here names. Mike anyone can call names it is easy. It takes intelligence to shred someone's arguments or position in a polite respectful manner

Mike feel free to attack me personally all you want, but keep in mind that name calling is juvenile and best left behiind on the grade school playground.

Fred Mertz 4 months, 1 week ago

Leslie, thanks. Wasn't challenging you, just being lazy. I eventually looked it up myself but appreciate you taking the time to share some sources.

I honestly had not heard of Obama doing civil rights work. Part of the reason I read and post online. I do learn stuff I didn't know.

Scott Burkhart 4 months, 1 week ago

Verifiable? How's that when no one can access his transcripts? I don't doubt it but I'd like to have a look and see how he afforded these schools coming from the modest means that he did. You don't pay off student loans for these schools working as a community organizer or teaching school for a few years.

Dick Sengpiehl 4 months, 1 week ago

Mr Woodard's letter is spot on. Anyone who knows math 101 or knows basic economics long ago predicted that Mr. Brownback's "experiment" was financially irresponsible. Sure enough, the latest nonpartisan figures show that we will have a shortfall of 238 million by 2016. And we now have our bond rating downgraded by S@P, the third such downgrade..The other two by Moody's. As far as Mr. Burkhart's comments are concerned, I can only say "There he goes again", per Ronald Reagan. There is a reason why Paul Davis has a lead at the present time. Many prominent Republicans are actively working for Mr. Davis. THEY, as well as most teachers and administrators, and health care workers, know the devastating effects Mr. Brownback's policies have wrought. The real poll will occur in November. This senior citizen, former Marine Lieutenant, KU Business School graduate, and UCLA Graduate School attendee is not a recent graduate like the Mr. Woodard but I have lived long enough to strongly agree with his comments.

Fred Mertz 4 months, 1 week ago

If a governor is to lead, then they must step out of the box, color outside the lines otherwise they are just governing by numbers. Govern by the numbers and you will end up with a copy of something that was already done.

However, when you step into uncharted waters you must test the waters first, not plunge in head first and be prepared to pull back. No shame in retreating when a plan fails to execute as you thought it would.

Brownback drank the Kool aid and believed that reducing corporate taxes would be offset by new business flocking to the state. It should have been obvious that this wouldn't happen, but even worse is in light of further declining revenues Brownback failed to reverse course or go to plan B.

He cannot be trusted with another 4 years not because he failed, but because he doesn't know it or if he does, won't admit it.