Letters to the Editor

Letter: State tax surprise

April 4, 2014

To the editor:

Surprise, surprise, surprise! Remember Gomer Pyle’s TV show?

I met with my tax professional and found that the new Kansas tax law slipped in some surprises that impacted my tax liability for the 2013 tax year. As I understand it, my expenses on my rental properties and a good portion of my medical expenses no longer are deductible. That means that my taxable income for the state is more than double what it was in 2012. So even though my Kansas income tax rate fell from 6.45 percent to 4.9 percent, I owe several hundred dollars more in taxes for 2013. Surprise!

I’m thinking of liquidating my business ventures, running away, becoming homeless and selling pencils on the street corner while changing my name to “Sir I Been Hadd.” Surprise!

Did I really get a 2013 Kansas tax cut. And to whom do I pass my increase cost on?

Comments

Abdu Omar 6 months, 2 weeks ago

But we all know the people of Kansas will blindly vote in the same bunch because they are Republicans!! Vote for the person because of what they will do to better everyone's life.

Fred Mertz 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Problem is there isn't a candidate running that will do anything to better everyone's life. Davis' claim to fame is he isn't Brownback.

Richard Heckler 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paul Davis is by far and away the best candidate around no question about it. He is the fiscal conservative choice for Kansas. Paul Davis would definitely bring as many of our federal tax dollars home where they belong.

Paul Davis would never have initiated back door tax increases nor would Paul Davis have taken away perfectly legitimate tax deductions away ….. behind closed doors.

He is also the Socially responsible candidate for Kansas.

Paul Davis will not kill public education in Kansas.

Paul Davis would NOT turn away federal dollars for Medicaid.

Paul Davis does NOT work for ALEC.

Fred Mertz 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Good thing in my opinion.

He is also the Socially responsible candidate for Kansas.

What does this mean Richard?

Paul Davis will not kill public education in Kansas.

No one has killed public education.

Paul Davis would NOT turn away federal dollars for Medicaid.

Bad thing. Our country is broke and even 10 percent is too much for our state to pay.

Paul Davis does NOT work for ALEC.

Neither does Brownback. And I like some of the model legislation that comes out I'd ALEC. I suppose one could say and Brownback doesn't work for the unions as a criticism of Davis, but that would be as meaningless as the ALEC comment.

Neither Brownback or Davis are top notch. Davis hasn't done much in his time in the legislature so I doubt he'd do much as a governor.

James Howlette 6 months, 2 weeks ago

You do realize that a) we already paid for medicaid expansion with our tax money, whether we expand it or not, and b) that 10% (in three years) would more than pay for itself with lower insurance rates, better infant health (leading to better school performance), etc, etc. Not to mention the basic human decency of allowing lower income people to see a doctor without breaking the bank. But if you're worried about the state not being able to fund it, perhaps we should remove the GIANT TAX CUT we just gave the Kochs. We'd have more than enough money to do this if we'd left the state income taxes the same as they were last year, and they really weren't that high.

Fred Mertz 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Of course you're right James.

Richard Heckler 6 months, 2 weeks ago

ALEC is dangerous and is going after local, state and federal governments with the help of ALEC soldiers such as Brownback,Kobach,Nick Jordan etc etc etc. ALEC has infiltrated the Kansas state house.

There are several GOP sponsored tax increases that somehow got by the news media.

Any deduction that is newly disallowed under the Brownback GOP is a tax increase any way you look at it.

Beware.

United States of ALEC - Bill Moyers

James Howlette 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I got my biggest return, ever, because all my business income was tax free. I didn't use that money to go jump start the economy. I didn't hire extra employes. I just put it into savings, like I always do with my returns. It was really a dumb way to restructure the tax code.

Phil Minkin 6 months, 2 weeks ago

States with low income tax have other big revenue sources like gas and oil, tourism or big industry. Kansas doesn't and this will prove disasterous.

Phil Minkin 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Greg Cooper 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I am guessing, Mr. Reding, that you voted for the current governor, just from your mention of your business interests. If not, I apologize for the following: the people of Kansas had no idea what they were enabling in voting against the Democrat candidate. We were lied to, misled, misdirected. Those who truly believe his administration is good for Kansas are the ones who the tax structure now benefits, unlike those like you who were sold a bill of goods.

My point is that these things can be changed, that equity can be re-established. But those things can not be done without a change in administration and legislative makeup. And only we, the citizen voters of Kansas can do that, and only by being informed.

Mary Sucha 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't quite follow Mr. Redings problem. He says his taxable income more than doubled, that his tax rate went from 6.45% to 4.9%, and his taxes increased a couple hundred dollars. This means Mr. Reding had over $60,000 of taxable income last year, a couple hundred dollar($300)tax increase would mean taxable income of $78,000 this year.

And your medical itemized deduction is a federal change, unless you have your LLC pay your health insurance.

Mr. Reding is one of those taxpayers that uses LLC's/Partnerships to generate losses every year in order to offset other income, such as wages, capital gains, etc.

Mr. Reding, you can no longer offset your other income with paper losses. Beginning this year you get to pay the same as the rest of us wage earners.

Mike Ford 6 months, 2 weeks ago

guess what GOP lemmings....you voted for someone whose dismantling your whole state governmental functioning right in front of your eyes....get ready to pay for everything. defunding schools is just the tip of the iceberg. you wanted disaster and now sane Kansans have to pay for your wonderful voting acumen.

Fred Mertz 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Doesn't matter as long as we get the SLT built.

Mike Ford 6 months, 2 weeks ago

So funny when someone takes a racial angle on an issue and the moderator looks away. Brownback has been borrowing from highway fund to pull off his Ponzi scheme much to the liking of the libertarians who want everything ran like the Little Rascals clubhouse that there might not be money left to finish the mess. It must stink to be so oblivious about the sinful transgressions of this country when it comes to Native peoples. One would think that being involved in law enforcement would create objective empathy. I guess not.