Letters to the Editor

Letter: Preference for Putin?

September 27, 2013

To the editor:

In the Sept. 21 Saturday Column, you rehash Benghazi again, throwing mud at our armed forces and our president. You suggest an immediate response was required. What? Air support was too far away, so our only response could have been retaliatory bombing or “boots on the ground.” Are you suggesting that? Another Far East conflict?

You imply that our president does not tell the truth. As Mitt Romney discovered in the debate, he did call it an act of terror. Did you forget? And to call him a liar … does Geroge W. Bush and WMD in Iraq ring a bell with you? Where were your castigations then?

You suggest Putin has come out of this looking like more of a leader with vision and boldness than our leader. Do you really believe that President Obama’s diplomatic efforts and threat of force had nothing to do with Putin’s surrendering to the inevitable need for Syria to give up their WMD? I, personally, prefer our leader over a former KGB colonel violating human rights and reducing gays and lesbians to subhuman status.

Does Putin’s invading of the sovereign country of Georgia make him a man of boldness and vision? I think not.

Lastly, does it really matter who seems to get the “credit” for what appears, at this moment, to be a major breakthrough? Do you really think the global community holds Putin in esteem? Are folks emigrating to or away from Russia?

Comments

Fred Mertz 1 year, 2 months ago

Obama didn't call it an act of terror and Candy Crowley admitted after the debate she was wrong.

Obama does lie - he said he didn't establish the red line in regards to Syria. He did. It is on tape.

We may have been to late getting to Benghazi, but we should have tried.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 2 months ago

He did not call Benghazi an act of terror. In his Rose garden remarks he talked about acts of terror in general but did not label Benghazi as an act of terror.

Crowley admitted she was wrong.

The transcripts are out there. If it is BS then cut and paste it for us.

rtwngr 1 year, 2 months ago

No, grammaddy, he didn't say it. He referred to "terrorists" in a general sense and for two weeks he and his administration peddled the "video" excuse. You refuse to admit the truth.

Trumbull 1 year, 2 months ago

Here is what President Obama said after the attack:

“No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for”

Technically you are correct. But it is also quite apparent what was implied though not specifically stated. Calling the President a liar is inaccurate. But there apparently is enough of an opening for critics to be playing a game of semantics and using this tragic event to win political points.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

America needs a president that "says", not one that "implies".

If you are a little slow, Mr President, and even if you are a puppet, if I think you have America's interest in mind against invaders and puppetmasters, then I will trust you to run America as best as you can and I will not criticize you.

If you are smart and try to BS me, then I won't trust you and I'll have more to talk about..

Trumbull 1 year, 2 months ago

America needs a president that "says", not one that "implies".

Tough crowd we are. God forbid we have a president that implies. Fact is, nobody can make a speech perfect. I'd rather have a speaker who is off the cuff and not worried about how his speeches will be translated by critics the next day. We all imply. You are asking the impossible.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

Should we not be a tough crowd for the president? He is our employee.

Trumbull 1 year, 2 months ago

Sure, I guess if we are not biased. I get your point.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 2 months ago

Trumbull I didn't call the president a liar for Behghazi I call him a liar for saying he didn't draw a red line regarding Syria. He did and he lied when he said he didn't.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 2 months ago

Obama also lies when they classify the Fort Hood shootings as workplace violence. It is an act of terror fueled by radical Islamic beliefs.

asixbury 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry, I meant the Navy Yard guy was buddhist. Wrong act of terrorism.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 2 months ago

Asixbury - it was never a question that he was a Muslim.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 2 months ago

There are no Islamic beliefs that condone the brutal or otherwise killing of anyone except in self defense or because they are oppressed.

It is abundantly clear that it says that if you kill one person, it is as if you have killed all mankind.

What does that mean? Well I personally take it to mean that the punishment for killing one is as if you have killed all of mankind. This is a very stern punishment and every person on earth is held to that standard by all nations.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 2 months ago

Apparently many of the Muslim countries and all of the terrorist disagree. With you.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

Do we still have people associated with terrorist groups in cages down in Cuba? I think it is a good place to keep them. Keeping it open is the right thing to do, but he promised to close it down. That's a lot like his red line. His mouth said one thing, but he did something else.

I think Putin comes across to many in the world as a hero for stopping America from getting into a civil war allied with it's own enemies in Syria. Plus it's like he does everything without wearing a shirt. He's like Teddy Roosevelt with a dumb political philosophy. What's not to love?

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

The people at Gitmo were going to be brought to Leavenworth, but there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth about that, so the idea was scrapped.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

If they step foot on American soil, they start getting constitutional rights they don't deserve. He really had no choice but to keep Gitmo open, but he never should have said he would close it.

poolside 1 year, 2 months ago

Good grief people. Do you not recognize good cop bad cop strategy when you see it?

FarleyM 1 year, 2 months ago

While you dither about which good cop bad cop used what words, Putin played his hand. It's all about who gets the pipeline through Syria.

Benghazi, women and children of Syria are all collateral damage. No biggy.

OlDan 1 year, 2 months ago

"What difference does it make?" Hillary, Jan 2013

rtwngr 1 year, 2 months ago

Well played! This from the next Democrat candidate for the 2016 election. What difference does it make, indeed. What difference did it make to you when Nixon lied, Hillary? Only, Nixon wasn't responsible for anyone dying at the Watergate.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm only helping you because I don't like the left.

You should print "WWHD?" bumper stickers. That stands for "What Would Hilary Do?" It's catchy, it's fast, it plays on previous assumptions and of course it is analogous to "WWJD?". Do you want to see religious people mad every time they see the world "Hilary"? Substitute whatever god they think is real with Hilary Clinton. You might even pick up the atheist vote when they start thinking she isn't real.

Yes, I see the flaw. Jesus is not god to all of you. Sorry, I don't mean to insult your belief. But you gotta trust me, the target audience will love it.

Wally 1 year, 2 months ago

Allow me to complete that quote:

“With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided that they’d they go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator. Now, honestly, I will do my best to answer your questions about this, but the fact is that people were trying in real time to get to the best information. The IC has a process, I understand, going with the other committees to explain how these talking points came out. But you know, to be clear, it is, from my perspective, less important today looking backwards as to why these militants decided they did it than to find them and bring them to justice, and then maybe we’ll figure out what was going on in the meantime.”

What does Nixon have to do with it?

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, missed clinton remarks still ring in this old fellows ears, strong