Letters to the Editor

Letter: Distorting truth

September 11, 2013

To the editor:

Leonard Pitts’ column of last Sunday castigates Tony Perkins of the Family Reseach Council about his view of homosexuality. Pitts claims a counter view is one based on scholasticism and hardcore biblical truth. The simple truth is that this lifestyle is sinful, just like adultery, lying, stealing, etc. That’s why we need a savior, Jesus Christ.

I am sure that Tony would acknowledge that he is a sinner saved by grace and he wants the gays to know and experience that same truth if they are unbelievers, or to be set free from their sin if they do claim to believe in Jesus. However, in order to defend and promote their lifestyle (which they do a good job of), the gays want to distort the truth of Scripture. You can’t have it both ways. Either you acknowledge your sin and receive the pardon given to us by God through the atoning work of Jesus or you believe the lie thinking you can be saved and continue sinning.

You can’t straddle the fence. Either you are with Jesus or you are not. He knows who are and who aren’t. Why would Christ die for mankind’s sins just to let us keep on sinning? If one really knows Jesus, then we know that He has given us the power to have victory over sin. We no longer get to be the master of our lives. We were bought with a price, and that means dying to self and living by His righteous standards.

Comments

smileydog 1 year, 3 months ago

I know people who keep on sinning and think it is okay since they've declared Jesus their Lord and Savior and they'll still go to heaven regardless of how bad they are just because they say they declare Jesus as their Lord and Savior, so I see your point.

tomatogrower 1 year, 3 months ago

Dear Mr. Burkhead, please repeat after me. Not everyone is a Christian and we are not a theocracy. You are free to have your views, but your views cannot walk over other's rights to a happy life. They are not hurting you if they are married. You do not have to let them be married in your church. They want the legal commitment; they can get the spiritual commitment somewhere other than your church. Quit trying to force your religious beliefs and interpretations of the Bible onto others.

Armstrong 1 year, 3 months ago

A few things are certain. 1) your life is your life and you can choose to live it the way you see fit. 2) When your life is over you will be the one accountable for the way you lived your life. 3) You will be the one to deal with the concequences of the way you lived your life.

Orwell 1 year, 3 months ago

Back in the Good Old Days Mr Simons, Sr. would have none of this theological use of the newspaper's letters section.

Some things really were better in the Good Old Days.

RogueThrill 1 year, 3 months ago

I am not straddling the fence: I am against your Jesus.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 3 months ago

First of all, 'the gays', are not a movement. They are individual names of people with personalities, lives, hopes, and dreams.

I resent your dim witted attack on members of my community.

If you are going to pass yourself off as an authority on the life of Jesus and the love of God, maybe you should first realize that God doesn't have to report to you.

God created gays for a reason which is apparently beyond your understanding.

Deal with it.

rtwngr 1 year, 3 months ago

God created humans and gave us free will.

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

"The simple truth is that this lifestyle is sinful, just like adultery, lying, stealing, etc."

I'm not gay, I don't cheat on my wife, I don't lie and I don't steal. Jesus has nothing to do with it.

gl0ck0wn3r 1 year, 3 months ago

Carl needs to have a movement. Seriously, I can't believe this guy was a professor.