Letters to the Editor

Letter: Move applauded

October 17, 2013

To the editor:

Thanks very much for the new policy requiring readers wishing to respond to articles, letters to the editor and opinion pieces in your newspaper to use their real names. The tone, overall quality and intelligence expressed in many comments have greatly improved. I hope this will encourage even more civil discourse on the issues being reported in your newspaper in the future.

Comments

Richard Walker 1 year, 2 months ago

I am specifically making it a point to begin posting comments to show my support of the new policy. Well done LJW - a clear move towards civility!

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 2 months ago

The downside has been the massive decline in dialogue. Since this has occured I have seen few articles with more than a handful of responses. I don't think the loss of anonymity is to blame, but rather the sole use of Facebook as a validation tool. Many (stereotypically) older people do not make use of social media such as Facebook and accordingly have had their LJW commentary suppressed

Chris Bohling 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't think anyone is being "suppressed" because anyone with an internet connection can get a Facebook account.

I, for one, was sick of the vicious, mean-spirited people who chose to hide behind secret identities on this website. If your opinion is so extreme that you're afraid to state it openly, it's probably wrong.

I do worry about the Facebook agreement being a step in the wrong direction in terms of business. It's not a surprise that the World Company is struggling for money, though.

SouthernMan 1 year, 2 months ago

Congratulations Lawrence Journal World! This long-awaited policy change has already elevated the conversation in the community and has provided outsiders who regularly read the on-line edition a completely new (and positive) impression of Lawrence.

Scott Burkhart 1 year, 2 months ago

I, for one, am glad that the cloak of anomymity has been lifted and anyone commenting on these articles and letters must own their behavior. Being a frequently published LTE writer, I have been on the receiving end of a lot of that "dialogue." I don't mind others disagreeing with me but if you do, please do so in a civil, cogent manner. I will listen and respect your point of view. I probably will not agree with you and you me but that's ok.

We all have a right to express our views and the duty to question our leaders. If we all share this view it makes it easier to speak to each other with a meeting of the minds as the end game.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 2 months ago

I'd be curious as to the kickback the LJW received from Facebook for using them as their sole verification source. I'd be similarly interested in the kickback the LJW receives from Google, etc... via their surveys we have to answer before being able to read articles.