Letters to the Editor

Letter: Not Kobach’s fault

October 8, 2013

To the editor:

I just cannot believe all the letters and articles I have been reading about Secretary of State Kris Kobach and how he is mistreating all of the Kansas who want to be voters. I shake my head at every one of them. Is it not our personal responsibility to present or mail in the proof-of-citizenship papers ourselves? Why is that his (Kobach’s) fault?

Maybe it is time for all of the do-gooders to go out there and get such papers from these picked-on individuals and take them to the proper places so that all of those that are qualified can vote — or maybe that should be left up to those people that really want to vote to get themselves properly registered. How do you suppose that those of us that do vote got that privilege?

Comments

Nani700 6 months, 1 week ago

A friend of mine used to say voting is not just a right it is a responsibility. So IF you can get registered in Kansas or are already registered, it is your duty to get out to vote in August and November '14 to get rid of the current administration and state elected officials. Myself, I have had enough tea.

Robert Burnham 6 months, 1 week ago

Where are all you idiots from...I can't write a check without ID, I can't get a drivers license without ID, I win 1200 bucks at the casino I need ID, I can't get on a military post without ID, ..you need ID for everything..I've registered to vote for the last 40 years and I have to show ID...why wouldn't I want registered voters to determine who gets elected and how I want my state or country governed...what would keep a bunch of people to stroll into your town, or state and elect people who do NOT represent your values and beliefs...this is absolutely the right thing to do...period...

Like I always say ...if you don't like it here,..get the F out...

RustWatcher, keep drinking the Koolaid...one of these days you will wake up and realize you got screwed and didn't even know it!

Silver Schnauzer 6 months, 1 week ago

Total coin flip. Who's the most useless office holder in Kansas? Brownback or Kobach? Actually should expand list of choices to every single GOP elected official in Kansas. Would actually be very hard to select just 1.

RustWatcher 6 months, 1 week ago

She's right...it's not Kobach's fault. You have to have a conscience to possibly be at fault. Repubs phony agenda reflects an attitude of ignorant pomposity and total selfish motives: STEAL Elections. When they lose, they work rig the system in their favor.

To the writer: There has been no voter fraud in Kansas to warrant the passge of Kobach's agenda. He is a liar, like most of the repubs.

The writer of this letter is obviously part of that party and it's agenda. (Consider she's from Eudora where one of the biggest right wing idiots was elected as state rep.) Showing no conscience as she said "I shake my head at every one of them." She's confused because she has been suckered into believing the right-wing-nuts.

Richard Njoroge 6 months, 1 week ago

Let us all blame all those voted for obama. He is reason why we have to show the ids. How about the weather let us blame him for that too. And by the way how about jayhawks get blown away by texas tech let us blame him for that too.

tomatogrower 6 months, 1 week ago

The issue here is there are a lot of citizens who showed their documents at the DMV, but it didn't get to the state. Instead of doing his job, Kobach is just leaving it up to these people to make another effort at registering. You can argue that the glitch wasn't his fault, fine. But it is his paid-by-our-tax-dollars job to fix it. If he doesn't fix it, then it is his fault. His attempt to fix something that wasn't a problem has created problems. Just like Brownback's attempt to fix a health care management of the disabled problem that didn't exist created problems. But I'm sure some of their lawyer friends, and of course, the private sector "management" company will make lots of money from the Kansas taxpayers. That should make you tea party people thrilled.

Cait McKnelly 6 months, 1 week ago

I spent almost 100$ just gathering the documentation I needed to get a TN driver's license; marriage certificate, birth certificate, Social Security records, etc. Admittedly, I needed those documents (you are no longer anybody in the United States if you don't have your "papers"; an outright non-entity),but I am also on a limited income (and actually qualify as "poor" in some places) and struggled to come up with the money to do it.
I know I'm not alone.

purplesage 6 months, 1 week ago

U.S. citizens have a right to vote in the U.S.A.. Those who don't meet that requirement have no right or privilege. Since there are so many non-citizens residing here, it is necessary to check proof of citizenship. Kris's Crusade is a bit over the top in intensity, but the foundation is solid enough. It has nothing to do with a President of mixed race, however, who had some delay in providing his own proof of citizenship.

ENVIROPEACE 6 months, 1 week ago

So, if Kobach wasn't spending so much time writing bills that fail for other states he'd be spending more time obstructing voting in Kansas... Keep moonlighting Kris...

Larry Sturm 6 months, 1 week ago

I thought that in the US I thought that you were innocent until proven guilty we should not have to prove that we are a citizen the state should have to prove that we are not.

jafs 6 months, 1 week ago

Voting isn't a "privilege", it's a "right".

The issue is that people presented the correct documents at the DMV and registered, but those documents haven't gotten to the state as they were supposed to do.

Also at issue is the difference between KS requirements for registration and the Federal requirements, and a court case has found that states can't institute more stringent requirements than the Federal government (supremacy clause).

I agree that people should do whatever they need to do to register, but one should understand what's going on here, and why there are issues involving Kobach.

Paul R Getto 6 months, 1 week ago

Kobach and unicorns....what a combination.

Abdu Omar 6 months, 1 week ago

How many poor people have the ability to get such documents? How many can drive to where ever to do that when they don't have transportation but have voted in every election since the 1920's?

xeniahawk 6 months, 1 week ago

Voter fraud did not appear to be a problem until we elected a black President. Strange? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-cesca/republicans-have-made-it-_b_1703478.html

peter brady 6 months, 1 week ago

You signed your name on a smudgy, poorly photocopied federal form years ago and were never asked for your proof of citizenship. That's how.