Letters to the Editor

Letter: Late Night behavior

October 8, 2013

To the editor:

I was among those thousands who were turned away at Late Night. I’ve been to many and was disappointed for the first time, denied entrance, but was more disappointed in the behavior of many fans.

Many people, especially young ones, acted very selfishly and uncivilized. Very few people I saw brought food items as requested. The scene was total chaos once the doors opened. Orderly lines disappeared, and people rushed the doors without getting a ticket, which was supposed to let those in charge know when the 16,000 seats had been taken. It’s amazing no one was injured in the mass confusion. Fire marshals had to estimate when to let more fans in. The doors were eventually locked, and thousands of angry fans went home, many of which were the well-mannered fans who brought food items and left without being able to leave their donations.

Changes need to be made in the future since it’s obvious many fans are not capable of acting civilized. My suggestion is to sell tickets in advance, charge $10 for adults, children free. The fees can then be donated to Harvesters,The Food Pantry or the Senior Center or other organizations. This idea would eliminate the need to rush the doors and possibility of injuries. There would be fewer angry fans and worthy organizations would get their donations, plus those attending could still bring food items with them. I hope the athletic department would consider this idea. The entertainment is certainly worth $10; you pay nearly that for a movie.

Comments

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

If you were so inclined to make a food donation, there are plenty of other venues that gladly accept those donations. Don't make being unable to give a donation the cause of poor planning and bad behavior by all ages the reason you can't give.

grammaddy 1 year, 2 months ago

Jayhawks know better. I'm ashamed of the way some of us acted. I believe handing out tickets a few days ahead of the event seems the best way to resolve the problem. Only those who have tickets will show up and it would help with the traffic and crowd control. The idea of charging a fee and donating it to the local pantries sounds great, if we can find a way to lock out the scalpers.

WarHawk78 1 year, 2 months ago

Move it bck to midnight, that will ease the crowd, or just eliminate it. I have been many times ver the years and the status quo in't working.

Joe Berns 1 year, 2 months ago

I believe KU students should have first dibs. When doors open at whenever, for the first 30 minutes, let all the students in who want to go. They pay to go to school there, they should have first right of entry. Then, let everyone who brought food donations or paid for a ticket in. Lastly, if there is any more room, let everyone else in.

I'm not a student, but if I'm paying the cost of tuition to the university, I would hope it has certain perks, one of which would be early admission to late night.

royalpain 1 year, 2 months ago

Students are able to purchase game tickets for $10. That is one hell of a perk. I believe students and Williams Fund donors should have access to the best seats for the games – these are the folks who support the program. Late Night has been the one night where those who don’t fall into either of those groups had access to the best seats in the house. Let them have that one night – the students and donors can have the other 20 or so nights each season.

Bruce Bertsch 1 year, 2 months ago

A couple of points...It's a practice with skits, what is the big deal? If you have to cut in line to see a bunch of teenagers practice/scrimmage, perhaps you need to rethink your priorities.