Letters to the Editor

Letter: Dismayed Kansan

October 1, 2013

To the editor:

I am a fifth generation Kansan, the product of Kansas public schools, including Kansas University. It is dismaying to find my home state has become a synonym for the ignorant and foolish. The most recent evidence that, regardless of my dismay, apparently that comparison is apt is the behavior of the university administration, the dean of the William Allen White (!) School of Journalism and certain Kansas legislators with regard to the activities of Professor Guth.

Shame. This man is entitled to have and to express his private personal opinions without having his livelihood and professional career disrupted or destroyed. He did not advocate violence nor did he wish the death of anyone; anyone who says otherwise clearly is not literate. His speech may be intemperate, even overly passionate, but he has a constitutional right to say what he — and many others  — think.

Once I was proud to say I was from Kansas, proud to have been a scholar and honors graduate of KU. Now I am embarrassed to admit either.

Comments

stevieboy 1 year, 2 months ago

You might try re-reading what the lowly Professor said, and try to have a clear mind !

WarHawk78 1 year, 2 months ago

Piney River... Where in Kansas is that located?

kernal 1 year, 2 months ago

People do move from Kansas, WarHawk, especially a majority of the best and the brightest.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

" say what he — and many others — think."

How many Kansans do you belive, after seeing the news about a mentally ill person killing innocent people, thinks "next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters"?

I've been in Kansas 15 years and have not met anyone that would say such a thing nor do I have reason to believe anyone I know would think such a thing.

Who do you know that is thinking "next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters"?

Do you think like that?

salty 1 year, 2 months ago

"Constitutional right to say what he — and many others — think."

The sad thing about this comment is that so many people think that the NRA is just a bunch of thugs out there with guns. My husband is an NRA member and a former police officer. We are good law abiding citizens who are excercising are rights, and I am a proud Army Mom of a son who did two tours in Afghanistan. He signed up for the military because of a love for our country and the freedoms that we have, one of which is the freedom of speech, but I do take issue when people like Professor Guth use remarks like they wish that NRA members children are the next targets and may God damn you. There are many people that take offense to those statements just as they do with the Phelps family and their spewing of hatred to the Gay community and the military. If the nation wants to do something then they need to fight to help the mentally ill and get the guns from those who have them illegially. Using the thought process of doing away with all guns is like saying they should outlaw fertilizer after the tragedy in Oklahoma or pressure cookers after Boston. I guess I have always thought about the Golden Rule that we were taught as young children which states that you should treat others as you want to be treated and think about what about what you say and how it will affect others before you say it!

hedshrinker 1 year, 2 months ago

Legal repurccusions don't follow if what someone says is "offensive". Others may judge what you say as stupid, ill-advised, in poor taste, even provocative, but unless you are advocating actual action and inciting others to follow suit I don't think a law is broken. Others may be angry w you, shun you, counsel you (in a work situation) that you are showing your organization in a bad light, etc. but mostly what this situation shows to me are the dangers of rapid communication when we are under the sway of strong emotion if we don't reflect for a moment on the variety of consequences of our actions. Just taking a moment to edit helps not only to clarify bad writing/spelling/grammar, but also to think"do I really want thousands of people to hear the primitive, uncensored stuff that goes on in my head?"

hedshrinker 1 year, 2 months ago

Addendum: I always tell my clients that fantasy is a great stress reliever; you can't get arrested for what you're thinking. But all too often these days thoughts seem to pass quickly to our keyboards and hence to the world at which point we'll never be able to take it back or edit those few choice words. Think before you press Send or Respond to All.

geoismeo 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't think she will be so ashamed that she doesn't remind folks she is an honors student and a scholar..