Letters to the Editor

Letter: A big loss

November 29, 2013

To the editor:

I am distressed about Marcia Epstein’s departure from Headquarters Counseling Center, and very frustrated with the paltry thanks offered by the board president. Marcia’s many contributions to Lawrence and to the state of Kansas cannot be adequately expressed within this small space, but she deserves better than what I read on Nov. 22. Marcia has kept Headquarters going as a unique, independent service that anyone can call at any time with any concern and be able to talk right away with a trained, caring counselor, for free. That’s absolutely amazing. We as a community have not valued that enough, which is why Headquarters is in such dire financial straits.

A clarification also needs to be made as to the Nov. 22 article: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL) is a network of crisis centers across the country. Headquarters is the one and only NSPL center for all of Kansas. If someone in Kansas calls the 1-800-273-TALK number after midnight now, it will still ring into Headquarters. After it goes unanswered, the call will roll over to the NSPL center in Iowa. If that center is busy, the call will roll over again to a center in another state. Eventually, it will get answered by someone, but it will not be someone in Kansas, with knowledge about Kansas resources. That isn’t good for people who are seeking help and for those who care about them.

The impact of losing Marcia, and possibly losing Headquarters, will be felt in one way or another by all of us in Lawrence.

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year ago

Losing Headquarters not a smart decision…..

Fred Mertz 1 year ago

So how do you keep it from being lost? If there aren't funds to run it how do you keep it?

Abdu Omar 1 year ago

Brock, you get our govenor to spend more money on social programs that help people who are NOT rich. All of his ideas are about saving money for the rich and getting contributions from the rich Koch Brothers. He needs to come to the East side of Topeka or go to other areas in the state that have poor people or those in need.

Brownback is not a friend to any Kansan who isn't rich or Republican. And if you are Republican but not rich, you shouldn't support this man. Check my facts and you will see.

Fred Mertz 1 year ago

And how does that help to keep Headquarters open - they are not a state agency, are they?

Are you suggesting using tax dollars to fund them?

Belinda Willhite 1 year ago

Well said, Lisa. I agree that Lawrence has lost the most thoughtful, caring person they could hope to run Headquarters. Finding a "replacement" will not be an easy task. I didn't think I would see the demise of Headquarters in my lifetime. Thank you, Marcia, for all your years of caring for anyone who called or needed help. I am proud to be a former Headquarters volunteer. I met my husband while I was there. The community must come together to save this valuable place. It started humbly and maybe it can be revived. I am hopeful.

Fred Mertz 1 year ago

Lots of hand wringing but no solutions. Pitiful.

Phil Minkin 1 year ago

People need to fully understand the whole situation before criticizing and jumping to conclusions.