Letters to the Editor

Letter: Congress cares?

November 2, 2013

To the editor:

After the last few days of watching the congressional hearings concerning the enrollment problems associated with the Affordable Care Act, I am amazed at the concern the Republican legislators are showing for their fellow citizens’ inability to gain access to our nation’s health care system regardless of an individuals’ financial situation.

It has been truly heartwarming to witness such an outpouring of empathy and concern on their part for American’s in difficult circumstances. How could I have so completely misjudged their feelings for the plight of others up to this point?

Comments

John Graham 10 months ago

Maybe the republicans are doing everything solely out of spite for the democrats. Another possibility is the republicans don't like Obamacare for what it does to millions of Americans. Under Obamacare my premiums will go up more than 50% next year, and my deductible will go up $3700 per year. This means in total if I should need to use any healthcare my maximum out of pocket goes up by over $4500 per year. Why? Because despite the repeated statements of the president and the democrats that I could keep my insurance that I already have, Obamacare is forcing the cancellation of my current policy. Obamacare states I am not smart enough to know what types of insurance I need. I now get to pay for maternity care which as a single male near 50 I do not need. Obamacare may help some buy insurance, but it does so by making millions of Americans pay more for their insurance so subsidies can be given out. Maybe republicans don't like the idea of helping one group while penalizing another group by making them pay for it all. It would have been cheaper for me if the government simply had me directly pay the insurance premium for someone without insurance. Guess it depends if you are getting free/cheap insurance or if you are paying for someone else's insurance whether you like Obamacare or not. Maybe the republicans are caring about me and the millions like me that are paying for all the subsidies. Oh that's right I guess what happens to us doesn't matter.

Cait McKnelly 10 months ago

Nicely written piece of sarcasm. I applaud you.

Matthew Herbert 10 months ago

According to the administration's own numbers, 6 people were able to sign up on day one. 6. Total. By day two, 248. Total. Great program.

Bob Smith 10 months ago

If you see a train speeding toward a bridge that has fallen into the river, waving a red flag and trying to stop the train isn't obstructing the right of people to ride a train.

Steve King 10 months ago

It's working for me. My group plan is going from $36,000/yr to $12,000/yr with a more stable Insurance Company, lower deductable and better coverage. It's been 20%-40% yearly increases for the last 5-6 years and the only way to maintain coverage was to move to higher and higher deductables.

Steve King 10 months ago

Highly likely, and I would hope you not insinuating I'm making it up. Because I would not like that.

John Graham 10 months ago

I am glad you apparently will benefit. The idea that Obama and the democrats were pushing to the public prior to passage of the bill was that EVERYONE would see lower insurance rates with better coverage. That simply is not possible. So while I am happy for you, I do not like the president and democrats not telling the truth about what would happen to millions of people that were happy with what they had to begin with. Under Obamacare you are a winner so I understand why you are happy. I hope that you can understand why I am not so happy with Obamacare. If we are to believe what the president says about Obamacare, which I doubt since it is already shown that some things he promised will not actually happen like getting to keep your insurance that you already have, then we are to believe that there will be no taxes to fund Obamacare. This means all these subsidies that are being promised must come from somewhere such as the increased premiums of millions of people. So for every winner such as you there must be some losers such as me. So for every person Obamacare helps there is going to be people it hurts. It is not "the win win" the president was pushing and promising.

Steve King 10 months ago

Yep. It's all his fault.

John Graham 10 months ago

It was Obama's grand plan. The democrats were the only ones to vote for it. So yes Obama and the democrats get all the credit for what works and they deserve all the blame for what doesn't. If they had worked out some kind of compromise so that some republicans could have voted for it then you could blame republicans as well. Since the democrats did it all on their own they get all the kudos and all the rotten tomatoes as well.

Steve King 9 months, 3 weeks ago

So, somebody has gone missing. Their posts are even gone and so now my responses make no sense. I was not responding to John, Seth, Cait, Matthew or Bob.

I was responding to a ghost I guess.