Archive for Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Letter: Serious issue

May 21, 2013

To the editor:

Defeatist comments about concealed carry on Kansas university campuses, from Kansas Board of Regents Chairman Fred Logan Jr., are cause for alarm. The financial implications of the exemption expiration are too great to ignore.

What parent will pay out-of-state tuition at Kansas University once the exemption is expired and KU can no longer control the safety of its own campus? What research grant agency will look favorably on Kansas universities when they cannot even execute a reasonable weapons policy?

Will a degree from KU be taken seriously by employment search committees? Sure, there were large groups of people that supported legal slavery, and today there are people that believe in teaching creation in science class, but when people are wrong, it’s important to work at changing the discussion, not “be respectful of those who voted in favor of legislation” that is very damaging to the state. This attitude is how Kansas got into its current economic mess. Let’s not continue to add to the situation.

Comments

redneck 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I believe that law abiding citizens should have the means to protect themselves if necessary. I'm not going to try and change anybody's mind, because it's a waste of time. I will vote against anybody who will try to take my gun rights away from me and will stand up for my rights if necessary. Last time I checked, Lawrence was still in the state of Kansas. Kansas is gun friendly state and that is not going to change anytime soon. The anti-gun citizens need to get used to this or move to someplace safer like Chicago or LA. I think we should invite all so called gun nuts to move to our great state. I am only speaking of the law abiding gun nuts. I believe that Lawrence would be a safer place if everybody and their dog was packing a gun. This way the bad people would have to think twice about doing something in our state, because they would know that all of the law abiding citizens would be packing a gun. This is my opinion, and nobody is going to change my mind.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 11 months ago

The correlation between the rate of violent crime and lead poisoning is not just a matter of speculation. There's very strong scientific evidence for it, and it's been found quite consistently throughout the world.

toe 11 months ago

Being interviewed by government job search committees would naturally turn to questions of independent thought and action. After all, nothing threatens government workers more than self reliance.

Steven Gaudreau 11 months ago

Lets not forget gun homicides have trended down since the Clinton Admin. Maybe Ks should be applauding for not acting like a bunch of alarmists who panic and pass laws which criminals will not follow anyway.

Brock Masters 11 months ago

"it’s important to work at changing the discussion, not “be respectful of those who voted in favor of legislation"

Yes, being disrespectful is such a constructive way to behave. So should we only be respectful to those with whom we agree?

I have no problem with pushback and trying to changes laws with which one disagrees - this is a foundation of this country. It should, however, be done with civility and respect.

If you want to be respect then practice it yourself.

Lynn731 11 months ago

In four years, KU will have a reasonable weapons policy. Students will be able to protect themselves.

Steven Gaudreau 11 months ago

"We are not going to hire you because the university you attended has gun control isses." Is that how you see interviews playing out Melinda? I think your foil hat is crooked.