Archive for Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Letter: Serious issue

May 21, 2013

To the editor:

Defeatist comments about concealed carry on Kansas university campuses, from Kansas Board of Regents Chairman Fred Logan Jr., are cause for alarm. The financial implications of the exemption expiration are too great to ignore.

What parent will pay out-of-state tuition at Kansas University once the exemption is expired and KU can no longer control the safety of its own campus? What research grant agency will look favorably on Kansas universities when they cannot even execute a reasonable weapons policy?

Will a degree from KU be taken seriously by employment search committees? Sure, there were large groups of people that supported legal slavery, and today there are people that believe in teaching creation in science class, but when people are wrong, it’s important to work at changing the discussion, not “be respectful of those who voted in favor of legislation” that is very damaging to the state. This attitude is how Kansas got into its current economic mess. Let’s not continue to add to the situation.

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 3 months ago

"We are not going to hire you because the university you attended has gun control isses." Is that how you see interviews playing out Melinda? I think your foil hat is crooked.

Jackie Jackasserson 1 year, 3 months ago

I had interviews during the "we must teach creationism next to Darwinism" ten years ago that went much like that, just not as direct. When everyone on an interview committee takes time to ask you about the debate in private interview sessions, it is difficult to believe that isn't a deciding factor in a non-hire situation. Don't be naive to think the rest of the country doesn't find Kansas ridiculous.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 3 months ago

"Don't be naive to think the rest of the country doesn't find Kansas ridiculous" - Yes, just as we think California and New York is. And Texas. And I can't begin to count the hillbilly references I heard when West Virginia entered the Big 12 conference. The fact is, we all make fun of each other. Anyone want to start the fun by telling us the virtues of the great state of Missouri?

1 year, 3 months ago

I have not heard or read people stating that we are ridiculous and I use multiple diverse sources for my info.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 3 months ago

"I am sure the no-hire decision was made based on how you responded to the questions asked, not the debate itself."

He didn't say that he wasn't hired.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 3 months ago

In four years, KU will have a reasonable weapons policy. Students will be able to protect themselves.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 3 months ago

Violent crime like rapes, aggravated battery, & assault. Property crimes such as the rash of aggravated burglaries in recent memory.

1 year, 3 months ago

"it’s important to work at changing the discussion, not “be respectful of those who voted in favor of legislation"

Yes, being disrespectful is such a constructive way to behave. So should we only be respectful to those with whom we agree?

I have no problem with pushback and trying to changes laws with which one disagrees - this is a foundation of this country. It should, however, be done with civility and respect.

If you want to be respect then practice it yourself.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 3 months ago

I see no disrespect in maintaining a weapons ban on campus.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 3 months ago

The data show that it's very likely that the removal of lead from the environment is the single largest contributor to the reduction in violent crime since the Clinton admin.

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

Also, the crack epidemic was largely responsible for the rise during that time, and most of those folks are either dead or in jail now.

If you look at the chart, it's really more accurate to say our rate of gun homicides rose during that time, and then returned to the norm.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 3 months ago

And it could very well be that the crack epidemic was a direct result of mass lead poisoning, especially among those who grew up in the inner city, where it was at its most severe.

1 year, 3 months ago

You could attribute the decline to the crack epidemic ending but you really don't know it it was the cause for the decline. It could be that it is due to the passage of concealed carry laws which increased during this time. But again you don't know.

I think it is due to the Clinton assault weapon ban ending.

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

No, the crack epidemic is most likely to blame for the rise in homicides, which then returned to historical norms.

Calling what happened a "decline" since that time is only partially accurate, if you look at charts - the current rate is quite similar to the rate before the rise in the '90's. So, it's more accurate to say that we had a rise in the '90's which then dropped back down to normal levels.

1 year, 3 months ago

The decline is a fact - what caused it may be open to debate.

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

No, the rise and then return to historical norms is a fact.

So, the better question is what caused the rise, and that correlates closely with the crack epidemic.

1 year, 3 months ago

It also correlates closely to the adoption of CCW laws.

Keep your logic in mind if unemployment rates ever come down. People will want to attribute it to Obama's policies and will say EU rates are lower but we will know thanks to you that it is not true, they simply have returned to historical levels.

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

If the rise is closely correlated with CCW laws, then they've increased crime.

The same point is valid about unemployment - there's been a rise in unemployment due to the financial meltdown, and other things, so the question would be what caused that rise. One mistake that's often made is that people don't look at the cause of problems, because they're upset about them, and we have to do something about them. But if we don't correctly analyze the cause, we can't arrive at a real solution.

Policies can affect things in either direction, of course. Given the 3 strikes laws, I'll bet that there are a lot of former crack users/dealers in jail for the rest of their life, in addition to a lot of them being dead, which would explain why violence related to that decreased.

So far, you haven't explained at all why gun homicides rose so much during the 90's, given that they were lower both before and after that period. Without understanding why they rose, it may be difficult to understand why they came back down.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 3 months ago

Please take a look at the article on environmental lead, and its links to violent crime. Lead was introduced, and then removed, from the environment at different times in different places over the last 75 or more years, and in every area studied throughout the world, the correlation between environmental lead and violent crime is downright uncanny.

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

I did look at your link. It's interesting as well.

But, I'm not at all sure lead would correlate well with an increase in the '90's, since it's been around a lot longer than that, right? I would have expected to see an increase long before then, given the prevalence of lead paint and leaded gasoline.

bad_dog 1 year, 3 months ago

You know toe, many years ago I worked on a county road crew repairing and replacing bridges and roads. Hard; no, very hard work under very arduous weather conditions. You couldn't find a harder working more dedicated bunch of employees anywhere. About 10 years later I worked in a state agency in Topeka assisting the public with legal issues. You couldn't find a harder working, better informed, dedicated to the public group of employees than those I had the privilege of working with in that agency.

I speak from experience. I suspect you speak from "Faux experience".

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 3 months ago

The correlation between the rate of violent crime and lead poisoning is not just a matter of speculation. There's very strong scientific evidence for it, and it's been found quite consistently throughout the world.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, I know, it's a legitimate news source with real journalists working there, so not on your reading list, and this story is based on scientific research, again not your cup of tea, but I posted this for those few on here with intellectual curiosity.

redneck 1 year, 2 months ago

I believe that law abiding citizens should have the means to protect themselves if necessary. I'm not going to try and change anybody's mind, because it's a waste of time. I will vote against anybody who will try to take my gun rights away from me and will stand up for my rights if necessary. Last time I checked, Lawrence was still in the state of Kansas. Kansas is gun friendly state and that is not going to change anytime soon. The anti-gun citizens need to get used to this or move to someplace safer like Chicago or LA. I think we should invite all so called gun nuts to move to our great state. I am only speaking of the law abiding gun nuts. I believe that Lawrence would be a safer place if everybody and their dog was packing a gun. This way the bad people would have to think twice about doing something in our state, because they would know that all of the law abiding citizens would be packing a gun. This is my opinion, and nobody is going to change my mind.