Archive for Thursday, May 16, 2013

Letter: Upgrade needed

May 16, 2013

To the editor:

Lawrence Internet provider Wicked Broadband recently asked the City Commission for seed money to help start the deployment of fiber Internet to homes and businesses in Lawrence. As the recent report commissioned by our city shows, upgrading our city’s broadband infrastructure is an essential part of being economically competitive and attracting the kinds of technology-based firms that Lawrence needs.

As a town, we spend money on needed infrastructure, like the library and Rock Chalk Park, that makes Lawrence a more desirable place to live and work. Look to our east and witness the excitement and economic growth surrounding Google’s fiber deployment to the Kansas City area, and imagine some of this in Lawrence. I would urge the City Commission to consider taking a more active role in this process, including possibly assisting private companies that are willing to take the initiative to deploy fiber to Lawrence residents.

Comments

Brock Masters 2 years, 2 months ago

Government, i.e. the people should fund infrastructure that is for the common good. My tax dollars should not be used to help a private entity to build a business.

Library funding is appropriate but giving tax dollars for Internet wiring is not. All these grants and subsidies we provide to businesses (farm, energy, etc.) should stop.

jafs 2 years, 2 months ago

Amen!

I didn't even vote for the library expansion (because I thought it wasn't necessary), and I oppose the sports complex.

So, it's funny to me that he uses those to justify subsidies for high speed internet.

parrothead8 2 years, 2 months ago

So you would argue that broadband infrastructure that benefits almost everyone in Lawrence does not qualify as being for the common good?

ljwhirled 2 years, 2 months ago

Expanding Internet infrastructure is for the common good. Expanded infrastructure is an enabling technology for start-up businesses, telecommuters, education and a host of other applications that benefit everyone.

jafs 2 years, 2 months ago

Using that logic, one could pretty much justify anything that helped business as being in the common good.

Thanks, but no thanks.

If it's really in the common good, then it should be done by the public sector, after significant discussion and debate. If not, then by the private sector, but without any subsidies, tax abatements, etc.

intrepidjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I would think that if we are going to put a half million towards fiber it should be with a reliable vendor, not Wicked Broadband...

ljwhirled 2 years, 2 months ago

My connection with Wicked has been reliable and what little service I've required has been timely and competent.

That is more than I can say for Knology/WOW or whatever they are called this week.

chootspa 2 years, 2 months ago

I suspect that WB offers great customer service to relatives and/or employees, yes.