City construction projects are now mapped at lawks.us/construction-map.
• Beginning Monday, eastbound and westbound Kansas Highway 10/23rd Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction from Haskell to Barker avenues for pavement work. Completion date: May 17.
• Work will continue on the northbound and southbound lanes of the Kansas River bridges in downtown Lawrence. The bridge will be reduced to one lane each way as work continues on the underside of the bridge. During the project, one 12-foot lane will be open on each span, and the speed limit will be reduced to 25 mph. Completion date: late May.
• On Tuesday, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., there will be five- to 15-minute closures on the Kansas River Bridges as crews complete work on the project.
• An 8.43-mile stretch of northbound and southbound Kansas Highway 10 will be reduced to one lane in both directions from the Interstate 70 Lecompton interchange south to the U.S. Highway 59 interchange for resurfacing work. Drivers should expect 15-minute delays and are encouraged to find alternate routes. Completion date: late May.
• The city will continue reworking the entire roadway of Iowa Street from Bob Billings Parkway south to the Irving Hill Overpass. Major delays are expected as there will only be one lane of traffic open in each direction.
The city recommends that drivers avoid the area and use 23rd and Sixth streets to go east and west and Kasold Drive or Kentucky Street to go north and south. Construction is projected to last through May.
• Street concrete will be reworked this week on Nicklaus Drive, Palmer Drive and Hogan Drive, east of Inverness Drive. Through traffic will generally be maintained, but there might be street closures.
• The city will add a traffic signal at 23rd Street and O’Connell Road as part of the improvements planned to assist in development of the former Farmland Industries plant on east K-10. The project also includes geometric improvements at the intersection, including a westbound left-turn lane and adding turn lanes on the north approach to the intersection. Two lanes of east/west traffic will be available at all times for travel. Expected completion: June.
• Ninth Street, from Delaware to Pennsylvania streets, will be closed and reconstructed with concrete. The intersection of Ninth and Delaware streets will also be closed. Expected completion date: July 20.
• KDOT crews continue to perform work on the 23rd Street bridge between Haskell and Barker avenues, utility work and removal of the shoo-flies. Two lanes of traffic are available in each direction.
• The city of Lawrence will continue asphalt patching in the area bound by Kasold Drive, Bob Billings Parkway, Harvard Road and Wakarusa Drive. Through traffic in both directions will be maintained, but partial closures are possible.
U.S. Highway 56
• All lanes of eastbound and westbound U.S. Highway 56 from East 1400 Road to Sixth Street in Baldwin City will be closed to through traffic as repairs are made on the road. A 30-mile marked state detour route will be provided. The project is expected to be competed in mid-October prior to the Maple Leaf Festival.
Old U.S. Highway 59
• Northbound and southbound East 1300 Road from North 1000 to North 650 roads will be closed to through traffic for a bridge replacement project on Old. U.S. 59. Completion date: Late August.