Archive for Friday, May 10, 2013

Dandelions

May 10, 2013

To the editor:

One of the biggest joys of living in Lawrence is to drive around town and look at the beautiful houses, parks and common areas. And, to add to that, last week we found the beautiful sight of millions of dandelions.

The fine people of Lawrence love their dandelions, as evidenced by the millions of them on Clinton Parkway, Kasold Drive, well, just about on any street, median strip or person’s yard. They cover the yard with a beautiful yellow flower that doesn’t stay long but turns into a ball of seeds ready to spread all over beautiful Douglas County. I am sure, very sure, that there will be more of them next year. And, I am sure the fine citizens of Douglas County love the bright yellow colors; but they turn so fast.

Now, I am not one to mince words about this. I mean, I have to admit that I have fallen in love with the pretty yellow flowers and the thought that there will be more next year makes me yearn for another year.  My wife loves them so much she made a dandelion salad that was oh so yummy! Let’s grow more and more dandelions so one day, soon, we won’t have to mow our grass, because there won’t BE any!

Comments

Jason Johnson 11 months, 1 week ago

My neighbors have given up on me spraying for dandelions, so they try to reach as far in with their hoses as they can. :)

Personally I don't mind them. The attract bees, help with crappier lawns, and in the event of societal breakdown, you can eat them. :)

I would have an awesome crop if it weren't for my pesky neighbors!

rosben 11 months, 1 week ago

Dealing with dandelions is pretty easy. We just pull them out of the lawn. No chemicals, no fuss. And not very hard to do.

Richard Heckler 11 months, 1 week ago

Lawns composed of....

--- Dandelion = low maintenance lawn with beauty = bees.

--- Clover = low maintenance lawn with beauty = bees.

--- Herbs as a ground cover = low maintenance lawn with beauty = and fragrance.

--- Vegetable garden mixed with annuals and other perennials = low maintenance lawn with bees.

--- Better than mowing and watering.

kansanbygrace 11 months, 1 week ago

And what other readily available organic means is there to hold under someone's chin to see if they like butter? jeez!

Trumbull 11 months, 1 week ago

Dandelion obsession. Lawn obsession. Jeeze. Some people would rather nuke their lawns just to get rid of harmless dandelion. From what I see dandellions space out far enough that even if there are thousands of them, they will not choke out your grass. In fact, they even provide ground cover in areas where the grass might be thinner. The more greenage you got, the cooler your ground temperature will be and this can only help your overall lawn from getting dried up and vulnerable to the summer heat.

Them dandelions are the Rodney Dangerfield's of lawn. No respect. Oh forgot to mention...dandelions are considered by many to be a superfood. Healthy and also detoxifying. Good for your liver and kidney health. Just sayin.

bearded_gnome 11 months, 1 week ago

when Dandelions are outlawed, ...

then only outlaws will have Dandelions.

can somebody please find Mr. Omar a real problem?

I think he must be REALLY bored.

riverdrifter 11 months, 1 week ago

Dandelions? Hell's bells, Henbit rules the countryside these days. Farmers are going to have to do some serious glyphosphate burndown on fields for it.

Tony Kisner 11 months, 1 week ago

Being a moderate I see the dandeion as a non political issue. But I am admitting NIMBY.

fmrl 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If it gives you dandelions, make dandelion wine. If it gives you moles, make molasses.

budwhysir 11 months, 2 weeks ago

You should contact me I collect dandelions for a hobby. things have kind of gotten out of hand and I could use some help..

Phoghorn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If you want to micromanage a private property, then buy it.

Matthew Herbert 11 months, 2 weeks ago

David, Feel free to do what you want with YOUR lawn. I prefer to keep mine in such a condition that my dogs and child can play in it without worry about how many chemicals they are ingesting.

Phoghorn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I wonder if this LTE writer got weeded out of Journalism School for being a blooming yellow journalist.

boltzmann 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I've always liked the colloquial French name for dandelions - "pis-en-lit", which means "wet the bed" and is supposedly what eating too much of them would make you do. The other French name for them is "dent de lion" or "lion's teeth", which is where the English word comes from. Dandelion salad is quite good, but I guess you shouldn't have it too close to bedtime.

If I ever decided to be a terrorist of the non-lethal variety, a perfect act would be just to fly over a wealthy suburb and drop a plane load of dandelion seeds - of course, it would also serve as a stimulus plan for the chemical industry.

Andini 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Hopefully Mr. Omar will write a LTE about clover when they're in bloom.

Abdu Omar 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Hoiw many honey bees do you think we have in Lawrence, gr? I will bet very few. What do you think?

gr 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If you let your grass grow real tall, the dandelions don't grow so well. Unfortunately, the city promotes a dandelion growth environment.

Besides, think of how supportive all those dandelions are for honey bees!

rockchalker52 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If you soak the ground with RoundUp you're doing it wrong & you're gonna kill a lot more vegetation than dandelions.

RubyVrooom 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I definitely prefer dandelions to soaking the ground with RoundUp.

rodentgirl16 11 months, 2 weeks ago

First world problems. Dude sure does hate dandelions though...

jhawkinsf 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Dandelion, a song by the Rolling Stones that never got much attention. A pretty good little diddy in it's day.

Andini 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Nobody likes dandelions. Nobody.

Bob Forer 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Am I missing something, or is the writer truly ranting about too many dandelions?

Bob Forer 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Up with chemicals. Down with dandelions.