Archive for Friday, May 10, 2013

Dandelions

May 10, 2013

To the editor:

One of the biggest joys of living in Lawrence is to drive around town and look at the beautiful houses, parks and common areas. And, to add to that, last week we found the beautiful sight of millions of dandelions.

The fine people of Lawrence love their dandelions, as evidenced by the millions of them on Clinton Parkway, Kasold Drive, well, just about on any street, median strip or person’s yard. They cover the yard with a beautiful yellow flower that doesn’t stay long but turns into a ball of seeds ready to spread all over beautiful Douglas County. I am sure, very sure, that there will be more of them next year. And, I am sure the fine citizens of Douglas County love the bright yellow colors; but they turn so fast.

Now, I am not one to mince words about this. I mean, I have to admit that I have fallen in love with the pretty yellow flowers and the thought that there will be more next year makes me yearn for another year.  My wife loves them so much she made a dandelion salad that was oh so yummy! Let’s grow more and more dandelions so one day, soon, we won’t have to mow our grass, because there won’t BE any!

Comments

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

Up with chemicals. Down with dandelions.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

You are officially and officiously toxic.

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

Am I missing something, or is the writer truly ranting about too many dandelions?

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, I guess he is serious, based on a similar rant in 2007.

I have going to have to cite Mr. Omar for a rules infraction. Book says you are only allowed one dandelion rant every ten years.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 4 months ago

I detect a rant, one well clothed in playfulness. And why not? The European invasive has had ideal cool, wet weather to flourish this year to maximize its productivity, at the expense of many a near monoculture lawn. For me, it's a bit of cosmic humor that we are offended by a plant that has piggybacked itself on top of our imported English lawns that we seem so intent on spreading across this part of the planet. If we were really wanting carefree lawns, we'd all have prairie grasses in our lawns instead, as dandelions don't mix nearly as well with them, and those warm season natives seem to have adapted to every climatic extreme that has been thrown at them for the past 8,000 years.

average 1 year, 4 months ago

Even prairie grasses aren't exactly 'native' to Lawrence and Douglas County. 100 miles from here, yes. The 'Kansas of the mind'? Yes. Douglas County? Is naturally a hardwood forest. Leave everything for 50 years and it will look like the undeveloped part of Brook Creek Park, not a Flint Hills prairie.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry, buddy, you need to check your facts. When settlers moved into Douglas County in the 1850s, it was around 85% tallgrass prairie and 15% oak-hickory/floodplain forests. It's true that you need fire to maintain the prairies in this part of the state, but the prairie grasses have been here since the ice age ended and they do just fine here. Do you think someone planted the Prairie Nature Park prairie? Or the Akin Prairie? Come to think of it, you should consider coming to the free Prairie Wildflower walk coming up on May 25 at the Akin Prairie--there will be lots of folks there who can answer your questions about it: http://kansasnativeplantsociety.org/event_detail.php?evt_id=645

number3of5 1 year, 4 months ago

I beg to differ, Dandelions are good food. You can consume all the parts, leaves, flowers, buds, and roots. Dandelion wine is delicious to drink and has a certain kick. Dandelion jelly tastes great on a homemade biscuit. The buds can be batter dipped and fried, the leaves eaten raw in a salad or cooked like spinach, and the roots can be dried and ground as a coffee substitute or boiled and eaten like potatoes. These plants along with cattails are great foods.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 4 months ago

Absolutely. Great Iron source. My wife mixes the Leaves in with a fresh salad mix.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

I like dandelions more than the destruction wrought by the hatred of dandelions.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 4 months ago

Dandelion, a song by the Rolling Stones that never got much attention. A pretty good little diddy in it's day.

miker 1 year, 4 months ago

Keith RiffHard thought it was a nice name for his daughter !

Danielle Brunin 1 year, 4 months ago

First world problems. Dude sure does hate dandelions though...

RubyVrooom 1 year, 4 months ago

I definitely prefer dandelions to soaking the ground with RoundUp.

rockchalker52 1 year, 4 months ago

If you soak the ground with RoundUp you're doing it wrong & you're gonna kill a lot more vegetation than dandelions.

paul85 1 year, 4 months ago

Roundup becomes inert when it comes in contact with the soil anyway so soaking the ground won't do anything. It needs to be sprayed directly on the weeds to get rid of them.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

Monsanto rules apply...or else...

RubyVrooom 1 year, 4 months ago

Whatever, I would never touch Round Up so it doesn't matter.

gr 1 year, 4 months ago

If you let your grass grow real tall, the dandelions don't grow so well. Unfortunately, the city promotes a dandelion growth environment.

Besides, think of how supportive all those dandelions are for honey bees!

Abdu Omar 1 year, 4 months ago

Hoiw many honey bees do you think we have in Lawrence, gr? I will bet very few. What do you think?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 4 months ago

The honey bee is the Kansas state insect and there are thousands and thousands of them. They pollinate most of the food plants.

boltzmann 1 year, 4 months ago

I've always liked the colloquial French name for dandelions - "pis-en-lit", which means "wet the bed" and is supposedly what eating too much of them would make you do. The other French name for them is "dent de lion" or "lion's teeth", which is where the English word comes from. Dandelion salad is quite good, but I guess you shouldn't have it too close to bedtime.

If I ever decided to be a terrorist of the non-lethal variety, a perfect act would be just to fly over a wealthy suburb and drop a plane load of dandelion seeds - of course, it would also serve as a stimulus plan for the chemical industry.

William Enick 1 year, 4 months ago

It worked! I am elderly now...and have been looking for a way to improve my abilities to..."enrich thee weez". Someone once said," All happiness is some form of relief". Thank you Dr. boltzmann. I feel better now.

Phoghorn 1 year, 4 months ago

I wonder if this LTE writer got weeded out of Journalism School for being a blooming yellow journalist.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 4 months ago

David, Feel free to do what you want with YOUR lawn. I prefer to keep mine in such a condition that my dogs and child can play in it without worry about how many chemicals they are ingesting.

Phoghorn 1 year, 4 months ago

If you want to micromanage a private property, then buy it.

budwhysir 1 year, 4 months ago

You should contact me I collect dandelions for a hobby. things have kind of gotten out of hand and I could use some help..

budwhysir 1 year, 4 months ago

I am allergic to moles and all byproducts.... please advise

boltzmann 1 year, 4 months ago

If you have moles, call Dr. Avogadro. He's got their number.

Tony Kisner 1 year, 4 months ago

Being a moderate I see the dandeion as a non political issue. But I am admitting NIMBY.

riverdrifter 1 year, 4 months ago

Dandelions? Hell's bells, Henbit rules the countryside these days. Farmers are going to have to do some serious glyphosphate burndown on fields for it.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

A theory I have heard is that henbit has become such a problem because we're killed off most of the other weeds that kept it in check.

I've tried pouring leftover boiling oil on dandelions after I've fried chicken or pork chops. They do shrivel up quite satisfyingly and look dead for a day or two but it doesn't seem to actually kill them. Got to respect something that survives boiling oil.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

when Dandelions are outlawed, ...

then only outlaws will have Dandelions.

can somebody please find Mr. Omar a real problem?

I think he must be REALLY bored.

Trumbull 1 year, 4 months ago

Dandelion obsession. Lawn obsession. Jeeze. Some people would rather nuke their lawns just to get rid of harmless dandelion. From what I see dandellions space out far enough that even if there are thousands of them, they will not choke out your grass. In fact, they even provide ground cover in areas where the grass might be thinner. The more greenage you got, the cooler your ground temperature will be and this can only help your overall lawn from getting dried up and vulnerable to the summer heat.

Them dandelions are the Rodney Dangerfield's of lawn. No respect. Oh forgot to mention...dandelions are considered by many to be a superfood. Healthy and also detoxifying. Good for your liver and kidney health. Just sayin.

kansanbygrace 1 year, 4 months ago

And what other readily available organic means is there to hold under someone's chin to see if they like butter? jeez!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 4 months ago

I had totally forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder. Also, dandelions are the first flowers that a child gives to their mother. Has any other mother put them in a glass of water and displayed them while their child beams? One of the small but priceless joys of being Mom.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

Lawns composed of....

--- Dandelion = low maintenance lawn with beauty = bees.

--- Clover = low maintenance lawn with beauty = bees.

--- Herbs as a ground cover = low maintenance lawn with beauty = and fragrance.

--- Vegetable garden mixed with annuals and other perennials = low maintenance lawn with bees.

--- Better than mowing and watering.

rosben 1 year, 4 months ago

Dealing with dandelions is pretty easy. We just pull them out of the lawn. No chemicals, no fuss. And not very hard to do.

Jason Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

My neighbors have given up on me spraying for dandelions, so they try to reach as far in with their hoses as they can. :)

Personally I don't mind them. The attract bees, help with crappier lawns, and in the event of societal breakdown, you can eat them. :)

I would have an awesome crop if it weren't for my pesky neighbors!