Archive for Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Lawrence cyclist seriously injured in collision with vehicle

May 8, 2013

A 30-year-old Lawrence man riding a bicycle was seriously injured Wednesday afternoon in a collision with a vehicle in the 3900 block of West Sixth Street.

Laggart was taken by Lifestar helicopter ambulance to an area hospital, Squire said. The driver of the vehicle, Bernard Panuco, of Kansas City, Mo., did not appear to be injured. No fault has been determined in the accident, which is still under investigation. Squire said police won't have an opportunity to speak with the cyclist until Thursday.

Comments

tanaumaga 1 year, 5 months ago

Randy Laggart was riding a bicycle west on the sidewalk along West Sixth Street about 3:45 p.m. when he struck the back end of a vehicle pulling into the driveway of a bank at the southwest corner of Sixth Street and Monterey Way, Sgt. Troy Squire of the Lawrence Police Department said. .......I ride bikes a lot, and if you ride on the sidewalk , the 'cyclist' needs to Watch the F out. Hope he's o.k., but it 's his own fault.

KevinBacon 1 year, 5 months ago

Cyclists should realize how many idiots are driving cars and ride accordingly (like you're invisible). Mr. Laggart learned that the hard way, but he's not the one at fault here. Kevin Bacon wishes him a speedy recovery.

Currahee 1 year, 5 months ago

Are you implying that drivers are idiots? Youre not even supposed to be cycling on the sidewalk. I bet this wouldnt have happened if he was on the road.

tvc 1 year, 5 months ago

And if he was riding on 6th Street, he would be buzzed by cars and yelled at to get on the sidewalk.

kef104 1 year, 5 months ago

Maybe, but it is still safer than riding on a sidewalk.

tvc 1 year, 5 months ago

Do you ride your bike on 6th Street? It is really easy to be a stoker, but unless you ride, you don’t understand. It is a delicate balance. Angry people do irrational things.

KevinBacon 1 year, 5 months ago

Many drivers are idiots. I'm not making generalizations or implying anything about all drivers, simply pointing it out that many aren't fit to be on public roads. You don't have to ride a bike to realize that.

9070811 1 year, 5 months ago

More likely that the car whipped into the driveway without giving Laggart anytime to brake on his bike.

otto 1 year, 5 months ago

While we are guessing who is at fault I blame the above 2 posters and the bicyclist.

jack22 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope the bike rider gets well soon. Motorist remember to be extra careful this time of year, there are lots of people out walking, riding bicycles. and motorcycles now that the weather is finally warming up.

budwhysir 1 year, 5 months ago

unbelievable, thanks a lot guys, two of you complaining, I took my hands off the handlebars for one second to point figures and slammed into a tree.... who am I going to blame for this one....from a he said she said sitting in my kitchen standpoint does it matter who was at "fault"? wont make your day any better and it wont help the guy on the bike.... hope he is ok

average 1 year, 5 months ago

It's also worth pointing out that it's not just a 'sidewalk'. The south side of 6th is, in theory anyway, a paved 'multipurpose trail' (okay, fancy term for a wide sidewalk, but an officially designated bicycle facility) between Monterey Way and the SLT. Like the paths on the side of Clinton Parkway. So the cyclist was doubly in the right to be there.

That said, such paths are statistically more dangerous for cyclists, mile-for-mile ridden, than street-riding. You can't be too complacent just because you're on a semi-separated path.

average 1 year, 5 months ago

(not, btw, that I'd recommend street-riding on 6th)

maple92 1 year, 5 months ago

None of you criticizing the cyclist even know what happened! Regardless, have any of you ever considered riding your bicycle on 6th street? Have you ever seen the traffic at 3:45pm? Only an idiot or professional would try to ride their bike on that busy road. Thank God he was on the sidewalk or any accident could have been much worse. The sidewalk is extra wide specifically to allow cyclists to ride there, and if they were supposed to be on the street there'd be a bike lane like there is on Monterey Way. None of you have any credibility to criticize what you obviously didn't see and know nothing about.

repaste 1 year, 5 months ago

I have, and I do. Until this year that bike path was incomplete, it is better now. This intersection where he was hit is complicated by the sidewalk turning away from the street right before crossing the drive. It also does this by CVS further down. This causes the Pedestrian/Cyclist to turn their back towards traffic. A car is required to yield to traffic in the bikepath, few do.

Liberty275 1 year, 5 months ago

If you ride a bike, all the "I have a right" junk isn't going to matter when you aren't breathing anymore. If you are on a bike, always remember people in cars don't care about you more than their dinner reservations, so the onus to not get run over is on you.

Liberty275 1 year, 5 months ago

Really, are you going to lay there dead thinking about responsibility? Maybe it's just me, but I would ride like every car was trying to hit me. I already drive like that. I take the extra responsibility to prevent situations where accidents happen. If you don't, that's not my business. Go do what you want.

Aaron Clopton 1 year, 5 months ago

I would like to know if the driver was one of the numerous drivers that are either too stupid, lazy, or oblivious to others to use their turn signal prior to turning. Unfortunately it is not to far of an assumption here.

tvc 1 year, 5 months ago

There are two lanes on Wakarusa. You can’t let a cyclist use one? Also if you ever used the sidewalks on Wakarusa, you would know they are not the best for cycling.

Oh, and we do have the right to be here.

Bike 1 year, 5 months ago

Generally speaking, there are a very few Cyclists who have a "we have a right to be here" attitude. Most are respectful and careful. Wakarusa sidewalks are very dangerous in spots, and the walkers with earbuds and dogs would disagree on where the bike should be. The cyclist as a group need a little education, and drivers as a group need a lot of education. Keep in mind that "we have a right to be here" attitude is brought on by the fact that our lives are being threatened. We all to to put down our phones, slow down, look around.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 5 months ago

What? A cyclist using a sidewalk? I'm sorry this rider was hurt but glad he was on the the sidewalk versus on 6th street! To immediately blame the driver here is completely irresponsible and a typical knee jerk reaction to an accident. Wait tell facts come out.

moveforward 1 year, 5 months ago

The fault in this accident can not be determined here and should be left to the authorities.

As for wisdom regarding whether to ride on a sidewalk, path, or the street... we should leave that to experience cyclists, not those who drive and never ride. Statistics tell the story... riding on the right side of the line (tarmac) and sidewalks is considerably more dangerous for the cyclists. That it is an inconvenience to drivers to pay attention, seriously? Your driving a several thousand pound vehicle... pay attention, take responsibility for your actions, and get off the phone.

Bike 1 year, 5 months ago

Lib is right, ultimate job of bike is to stay alive, one reason he is not really subject to same rules as cars. I ride that stretch of "multi-use path often, Repaste has point on sidewalk turning away from traffic. Almost every car turning on to 6th will speed through crosswalk, stopping at edge of street. A car turning off 6th has the legal onus to yield to the crosswalk, some cars do, some don't. I've seen children, elderly people, forced to stop in crosswalk because cars would not yield. The law treats it like a lane of traffic, you have to yield when crossing.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 5 months ago

While were on the subject of laws... Illegal for cyclists to ride side by side, illegal to wear headphones, and yet everyone wants to point out the evil drivers. Not saying all drivers are great but to never once blame the cyclist is a bit much.

Bike 1 year, 5 months ago

Kansas law allows side by side. It is a 2 way problem, you are right.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 5 months ago

p>Lawrence.org "bikes should be single file except when passing others" figured that was a law.

Bike 1 year, 5 months ago

I think this is the state law superseding city law, 3ft rule is included as well.

jafs 1 year, 5 months ago

KS state laws state that cyclists should ride single file as far to the right as it practicable.

Officials at the DMV have confirmed that for me personally, when I called them.

jafs 1 year, 5 months ago

Thank you.

The relevant section is 8-1590. When riding on a road at less than the normal speed of traffic, they're supposed to ride as far to the right as is practicable.

That means single file, not two abreast, in that situation.

Since bikers are pretty much always going at less than the normal speed of traffic, it applies pretty much all the time when biking on the streets.

Left_of_Lawrence 1 year, 5 months ago

Do you really think bikes should be on sidewalk/multi-use paths? Car drivers don't see the cyclists as well as when they are on the road. Pedestrians, some with strollers, aren't safe with cyclists cruising by at 15 or more miles per hour. Are pedestrians allowed to walk side by side? What about double wide strollers? I like wide roads with wide shoulders with bike lanes or at least wide lanes with wide shoulders.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 5 months ago

Not only are they allowed to use those paths, the Lawrence city code states that they should use those paths instead of the roadways.

Maggie Morrissey 1 year, 5 months ago

Just last night while driving on 6th St we witnessed a car almost cream a guy on his bike. When we honked because they were about to hit we got flipped off and looked at like we were the rude crazy one! It is Spring, you HAVE to be careful! I live near 6th and Monterey and few yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk north and south across 6th Street. and you would have to be a fool or extremely brave to ride a bicycle on 6th Street. Period! Expect to hear more sad stories unless everyone puts their phones or what ever distractions you have, put both hande on the wheel and both eyes on the road.

Randy is a super guy and an experienced rider. No one stands a chance on a bike, moped, even full on motorcycle against a vehicle in a situation of impact. Please be careful! Whatever you believe on who has rights to what, we are all people and we need to get back to drinving your car and nothing else so these situations can be reduced.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 5 months ago

I do agree that riding on the sidewalk in that area is infinitely mo' better, remember that you forfeit your rights as a pedestrian if you use wheels on the sidewalk. Walk across streets and driveways, foot power enables your pedestrian rights. Blow through like you have the right of way and this bloke found that his rights were suspended for that 144 Inches of driveway.

Arriba!

bevy 1 year, 5 months ago

What sickens me is that every time this happens, the "blame the cyclist!" and "all drivers are idiots, blame the driver!" comments invariably outnumber those wishing the injured person well.

I will do my part to reverse that trend. My prayers are with both the injured cyclist and the driver of the car. Regardless of fault, both have had their lives changed forever and deserve sympathy and support.

Let he/she who has never made an error throw the first monkey wrench.

KevinBacon 1 year, 5 months ago

I think someone needs to stand up for the injured when he's immediately blamed for the accident. Legally speaking, the driver was in the wrong, as the law requires drivers to yield at the crosswalk. That's just a fact, and since the victim is hospitalized, he can't very well point that out for himself. I'm wishing him a speedy recovery and hoping he doesn't come to this comment section just to see overwhelming victim-blaming.

Rick Aldrich 1 year, 5 months ago

Kevin Bacon for President!!!!!! i agree with you totally.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 5 months ago

Not sure how relevant these are but here it is.

8-1533. Same; right-of-way at crosswalks; interference with vehicular traffic; duties of drivers. (a) When traffic-control signals are not in place or not in operation the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. (b) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.

And,

8-1534. Same; crossing roadway at location other than crosswalk. (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

Liberty275 1 year, 5 months ago

By and large, those that think it is appropriate to ride a bike on a road with two ton cars while wearing a piece of plastic and styrofoam on their heads are the same ones that will tell me how unsafe it is to drive my car four blocks to the gas station without a seat belt.

I find that hysterical.

BringBackMark 1 year, 5 months ago

This is (probably) the typical case of the cyclist running through red lights and stop signs because "he has a different set of rules" and a driver not heeding the turn signal laws. We've built millions of dollars worth of bicycle paths in Douglas County to get the recreational cyclist away from traffic. Yet where do you see them? Mostly where they have no business riding. I nearly hit one the other day when he made a sharp left turn from a sidewalk in front of me as I was turning right and looking for oncoming traffic from my left.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

Apparently you did not read the article. This accident happened on a sidewalk.

As a general rule, cars do not have the right of way on sidewalks.

9070811 1 year, 5 months ago

Nothing you presumed is remotely correct. Nice try though!

maple92 1 year, 5 months ago

Hi guys. Randy is awake and doing great. He also remembers this car pulling out in front of him and it happened so fast he couldn't stop his bike. Just saying, for a fact it was not Randy's fault... cool of you all to just immediately assume he was the "typical cyclist" that had a "right to be here attitude."

Bike 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks Maple. Great news! I came by in my car as ambulance was pulling in and was overjoyed to see him sitting up. That intersection is more like an exit ramp-makes it worse.I ride that path 5 times a week. It is scary. Go Randy! Need any help fixing that bike let us know.

ladymay 1 year, 5 months ago

If you don't have anything nice or encouraging to say about this HUMAN BEING making a full recovery after this terrible accident that was in no way his fault, then don't say anything at all.

kef104 1 year, 5 months ago

Does anyone know at which hospital Randy is being treated? He is my son's instructor at LGA and he will want to visit if possible.

9070811 1 year, 5 months ago

Give us a call at the gym. We can give you an update and let you know if/when he can have visitors!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

I do pray that the cyclist will recover fully. sounds like a very nasty hit.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

it does sadden me that once again we have a fellow citizen of lawrence lying in hospital, likely in serious pain, possible disfigurement, and a bunch of posters come with their agends, listing how they once saw a cyclist do this or a cyclist did that bad thing; well this likely isn't the same guy. and a few others come posting indicting drivers with an anticyclist attitude. we know nothing about this driver, too.

I think that we could constructively discuss how to prevent this kind of viscious injury accident without automatically bringing in all the history to indict all bikers or all drivers.

...

or maybe that's too much to hope for ...

budwhysir 1 year, 5 months ago

I like your hopeful outlook. However I am going to venture to say that lots of posters here in the LJW probably live in glass houses and most of them have very expensive window replacement bills. It is amazing some of the outlandish comments made on a topic such as this. I agree with you completely, tried to make the same point the other day, however I think it was overlooked being mixed with the other posts. Everyone is an expert, everyone knows the other guy did it wrong, and the truth is an article like this was to alert people to an injury and accident to provide compassion and possibly get people to think twice while driving a car OR riding a bike. accidents are just accidents and some are unavoidable no matter who is to blame...

Richard Heckler 1 year, 5 months ago

Cyclists and pedestrians must know we are no match for cars and trucks and busses. A collision will most always render we cyclists and pedestrians the loser.

However drivers must know and/or realize how easy it is to kill or permanently disable a human pedestrian or human cyclist with those large fuel driven vehicles. No matter ones opinion of cyclists or pedestrians.

Drivers must realize that large vehicles do not always have the right of way pure and simple. It's all about respect for each other. Yes it is okay to allow a cyclist or pedestrian to clear those curb cuts on busy streets just as one would a large vehicle if that were the case.

Unfortunately cyclists and pedestrians must realize that too many drivers believe they own the right of way because of their size. No matter that cycling and walking/jogging are considered legal and respectful methods of transportation.

I have experienced many positive interactions with large vehicles even large trucks while cycling. Drivers of dump trucks and other trucks have acknowledged my presence more than once meaning they saw me coming and waited.

Using lights at night was a choice encouraged by drivers who I assumed saw me coming yet pulled out anyway thinking they could be quick enough. But did they notice this bicycle that actually had the right of way? Choosing overkill as my partner in riding a flashing white beacon and a flashing red strobe on the front as well as a mean rear strobe. As a driver it seems to me that the flashing "strobes" on the front gets my attention quickly ... plus gets more life from the batteries.