Archive for Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Letter: Focus on Paul

March 12, 2013

To the editor:

Sen. Marco Rubio praised Rand Paul’s filibuster as “doing the Senate’s work.”

My thanks to Sen. Rubio for that clarification. I’d mistakenly thought Sen. Paul was misusing public office to give false legitimacy to partisan paranoia — and, not coincidentally, play for the spotlight.

Comments

Fred Mertz 1 year, 8 months ago

Right, left, conservative or liberal, we all should want to know if the government believes it can use drones to kill Americans not engaged in combat on American soil.

Paul forced the Whitehouse to respond to that simple but important question.

grammaddy 1 year, 8 months ago

And the answer was exactly what we all knew it would be. It shouldn't take 13 hours to ask and answer a simple question. I think it's time we started paying Congress minimum wage for the minimal amount of work they do.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 8 months ago

True enough, gram. It was a simple question deserving of a simple response. While we ultimately got the answer we expected, it was achieved at a very high cost. How much does it cost the Senate to operate for 13 hours during a filibuster? How many hours was the Senate involved with the Hagel nomination process where this question lay pending, yet no one gave the simple answer. It wouldn't surprise me if this question alone with it's seemingly simple answer didn't cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. To ask a simple question and get a simple answer.

Richard Payton 1 year, 8 months ago

K-State offers a drone program if your interested.

SouthWestKs 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank Eric Holder for the cost. They had to use a 13 hour filbuster to get what should have been stated right after the question was asked.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 8 months ago

Holder still didn't understand after 13 hours, what a CLOWN

Phoghorn 1 year, 8 months ago

Love it or hate it, the filibuster has become an accepted part of Senate procedures. If cloture fails, filibustering remains an option to stall a vote.

If you are going to complain when one party does it, then please hold the other party to the same standard. Likewise, if you love it when your party uses the filibuster, then please accept the other party's right to use it.

Remember...stalling a bad bill is better than passing a bad bill - regardless of what the bill contains or who proposes it.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

I like to stir the pot....if we had drones 20 years ago...would you support a drone taking out Timothy McVeigh driving a U-haul on I-35 with 4,800 pounds of explosives headed toward OKC? Americans kill Americans all the time.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 8 months ago

Aw heck, I will play along. No I would not support it just because he was suspected of planning a crime.

I would support putting up a blockade and using deadly force to stop him if he refused to stop or posed an imminent threat but not just because someone is only suspected of planning to do something wrong.

mom_of_three 1 year, 8 months ago

My question is - Is THAT all he had to worry about? Looked like he was just asking for and getting attention. And then I watched one of our Kansas senators trying to ask and answer a question and could only laugh. I wanted someone to ask " huh?" after Moran was finished.
I am glad that some republicans also thought the filibuster was ridiculous.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, pretty trivial to worry about the government killing Americans who are only suspected of, but not convicted of a crime or posing an imminent threat.