Archive for Friday, March 1, 2013

Letter: A good gig

March 1, 2013

To the editor:

I want to run for Congress. It’s a good gig. I will be paid $174,000 a year, the legislative calendar for 2013 requires me to work only 126 days, I will get wonderful health care, and all I have to do is go and vote no. I don’t need to provide any leadership, I don’t have to compromise. I can stand at the right hand of the speaker of the House, just knit my eyebrows and look concerned. I don’t have to govern.

Today I can relinquish my responsibility as a legislator to the president of the United States to decide what cuts are necessary to get our fiscal house in order and then the fun part begins. I will take no responsibility for the shape the country is in. I don’t need to acknowledge how we got here. I can pontificate about communists, socialists, Marxists. I can then take potshots daily from the cheap seats on all decisions the duly elected president makes.

If I can get elected speaker of the House, I can tell you to get off your posterior and do something when I know full well the Constitution states it is the responsibility of the House of Representatives to initiate bills. I can ignore the collective will of the nation who re-elected President Obama because I know I am safe. You will return me to Congress because I am doing such a good job. I’m a Republican from Kansas!

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 1 month ago

Excellent letter, I like the mode in which it is written, it draws the reader in and then at the end you get a laugh. Real life can be funny, sad and bewildering all at the same time. Of course I agree with the sentiments expressed in the letter.

Don Brennaman 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe you need to borrow a $million or so to get elected. Your interest payments are probably more than you can afford.

notajayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

"I can ignore the collective will of the nation who re-elected President Obama because I know I am safe."

That same collective will resulted in a Republican majority in the House. And those "No" votes are cast precisely because the people of the country wanted to preserve the system of checks and balances established in that Constitution you mentioned and not simply rubber stamp 'Lord and Savior Obama's' agenda.

"I will take no responsibility for the shape the country is in."

Absolutely right, gosh darn it! Now - who was in control of that House when the fiscal crisis started, Linda?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

“You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter,” said the vice president. “We won the mid-term elections, this is our due.” -

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

One would think the elected officials would stick around and take care of business instead of running away till whenever.

BUTTTTTTTT they have appointments to keep with the few big spenders who feed them money and tell them what to do. They say they are leaving to be with constituents = reaching out for special interest campaign dollars some of which likely is not coming from Kansas.

BTW our GOP delegation is among the majority of GOP...... only posing as republicans. Because of this new breed the old school GOP passed away. Can we say dead?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

--- Where did the whole idea of sequestration originate?

• It goes back to 1985.

• Sequestration never really worked, though, and it was repealed in 1990 and replaced by a new budget deal. After that, it disappeared down the Washington, DC, memory hole for the next 20 years.

--- What about the 2013 version? Where did that come from?

• In the summer of 2011, Republicans decided to hold the country hostage, insisting that they'd refuse to raise the debt ceiling unless President Obama agreed to substantial deficit reduction..

--- How big is the sequester?

--- So what gets cut?

--- Aren't we still in a recession? What are these cuts going to do to the economy?

--- Does anyone have a plan to avoid the sequester?

• Sure.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 1 month ago

Actually, Linda is talking about the people that put the Republicans in office.

Dick Sengpiehl 1 year, 1 month ago

Good one, Linda. You are certainly describing Representive Lynn Jenkins to a T.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 1 month ago

Linda, you have another vote, run girl run

Obama_The_Obnubilator 1 year, 1 month ago

I see the bs rhetoric coming from the BHO white house has hit a home run with you Linda.

Les Blevins 1 year, 1 month ago

Linda Schroeder tells it like it is. Well said Linda!!