Letters to the Editor

Letter: Campus litter

March 1, 2013

To the editor:

My dogs and I enjoy a stroll around the Campanile and Potter Lake and have walked there frequently for six or seven years, but I was disturbed during my walk recently as I witnessed all the broken plastic sleds and pieces littering the hillsides, along with cardboard and trash can lids. Honestly, I can say it is typical that there may be a few scattered pieces lying around the past few snow seasons, but it was incredibly littered showing nothing but irresponsibility and lack of respect for those who enjoy using the campus hills to sled or ski and even snowboard. I don’t normally see trash bags full of empty cans and containers lying around, not to mention stray cans and empty food containers. Please be considerate and pick up the items you take with you when you are playing on the hillsides of our beautiful campus, if for no other reason than to say “thank you” to those who choose to allow you to spend time playing in the snow.

I grew up in Lawrence and attended all the levels of school including KU and have spent many a winter sledding down the hills of this campus, as have my children, never considering for one moment that I or my children would leave our items or trash behind. Parents, I would imagine the campus crews would appreciate your speaking with your children who go there unattended and asking them to respect others property and clean up after themselves.

Comments

kansasdaughter 1 year, 1 month ago

I didn't notice any more trash than usual this year. I do notice that MANY people walk their dogs on campus and do NOT pick up their dog's excrement.

Keith Richards 1 year, 1 month ago

A lot of college students are lazy and very used to having others pick up for them. Whether it be in a frat or dorm, at home with mom and dad, in a bar or restaurant, many have never had to pick up for themselves. Most will eventually learn once they have to pay their own way.

ksgardener 1 year, 1 month ago

You should see the stuff that rains down from the upper floors of the residence halls over the weekend especially after game weekends.

Number_1_Grandma 1 year, 1 month ago

And the 'law' says one has to have their dogs on a leash too! You seem to think certain laws apply to everyone but you Ms. Guntert. But you want to complain about others? Hypocrisy at its finest.

Don Brennaman 1 year, 1 month ago

More than likely you would need to talk to the parents in Johnson County.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

Carry out what you carry in........

Obama_The_Obnubilator 1 year, 1 month ago

One would think inhabitants of the "The Little Blue Island" would be more concerned with caring for our planet than that. Shame on you!