Archive for Sunday, June 30, 2013

Letter: Safety concern

June 30, 2013

To the editor:

I have lived near Quail Run Elementary School for seven years. During this time, I have watched high school kids destroy property and drive their cars around the parking lot as if it were a grand prix race track, as well as openly abuse drugs and alcohol on the school property.

There was an incident the other week when my daughter and two friends were walking home around 9 p.m. via the Quail Run school yard. There was a group of high school kids in the parking lot so I started toward the school to watch for my daughter. I witnessed a  Cherokee Jeep drive at full speed through the school yard and playground.  As you can imagine, I was frantic knowing my daughter and friends were walking on that side of the school.

My neighbors and I have called the police numerous times over the years when the high school kids get out of hand. They respond, but seem to ignore the situation for the most part.

Something needs to be done to ensure the Quail Run School grounds are kept free of kids abusing drugs and alcohol, destroying property and generally behaving badly. This is an elementary school in a family-oriented neighborhood where children and adults should feel safe as they enjoy biking and walking on summer nights. This includes high school kids who are simply looking for a place to play basketball and visit with friends.

I hope this letter results in action taken by the police to keep our neighborhood safe.

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

Are the watchful neighbors will to place their names on a police report?

Are the neighbors absolutely sure "drug abuse" is taking place? Are neighbors willing to sign a police report?

Are the neighbors will to take video's of the reckless driving taking place? And put their names on a police report? And provide a license tag number? Color of vehicle? Male or female driver?

The LPD cannot do much UNLESS they see the activity taking place. Or unless neighbors are willing to sign a complaint and supply some more information. If the information leads to a home with children living with parents then parents can be advised and perhaps all of the parents concerned can come together and talk.

tspanos1 1 year, 4 months ago

i have tried to get license plates. They race out before I can get them. The red cherokee jeep with the jayhawk license plate that drove through the school yard had alll the kids gather around when I walked over to get the plate number. Then raced out. The other kids cursed me. Good idea about neighbors signing a complaint form.

kernal 1 year, 4 months ago

Evidence will help the police. Get a zoom camera so you can get photos of the plate, vehicle and perps. Whoever takes the pictures needs to be willing to file the police report and leave a phone number for an officer to call them back.

parrothead8 1 year, 4 months ago

Go buy a cheap video camera, or use your phone if it has that capability.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

A Video with a zoom.

Team up. If enough neighbors are concerned have one getting a video,another could be standing by in a vehicle to follow the vehicle long enough to get a tag number( dont make yourself conspicuous) and another could be calling the LPD. The more witnesses the better. The more video's the better. Neighbor Watch in action.

Let the LPD do the work in the interest of personal safety. Tag numbers can be helpful regarding a variety of neighborhood concerns

DoUntoOthers 1 year, 4 months ago

I found a used condom by the picnic tables a few days ago. The junior high age kids hanging out there must be enjoying summer vacation. When I called the police last week about 3 boys on the roof the dispatcher asked if they were hurting anything. I had no idea as it was dark, but I presume no good was going to come from them being up there. Quail Run School has video cameras all around it. Surely the police can identify the delinquents from the cameras. Getting license plates is also a great idea.

bebeeh 1 year, 4 months ago

I was walking with friends on the QR play grounds and grounds. I was shocked over the condition of the concrete on the playground as well as the condition of the parking lot and the walks . Maybe the driving on the surfaces irresponsibly has not helped .

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

Call the LPD 832- 7509 to file a report for a paper trail

When doing license numbers all that is necessary are the numbers and the letters........ voice of experience.

Of course if the tag is out of state that certainly should be noted.

clovis_sangrail 1 year, 4 months ago

Looks like the ruffians are starting to invade the special people's neighborhood.

Poor special people.

But I'll bet these are home-grow ruffians, west side ruffians in their parentally subsidized Jeep Cherokees.

What y'all think?

parrothead8 1 year, 4 months ago

Regardless of where it's happening, who's doing it, or how their activities are subsidized, it doesn't seem like that should make it ok to destroy property and abuse drugs and alcohol on the grounds of an elementary school.

bliddel 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd like to know why Tina thinks that speed has something to do with this alleged malfeasance. She says "I have watched high school kids"..."drive their cars around the parking lot as if it were a grand prix race track".

Really? Has she ever been to a grand prix race? Formula one? I would submit that you will not ever see ANY jeeps competing in such a race.

She went on to write "I witnessed a Cherokee Jeep drive at full speed ". Really? And just how much is "full speed"? I would presume these vehicles are easily capable of 100+mph. I'm also thinking that it would take a Jeep about 16-25 seconds to reach that speed, in a straight line, by which time it would have traversed the order of a quarter of a mile or more. I could be wrong but I don't think Quail Run Elementary School's parking lot or schoolyard or playground is anywhere near that size. Is she willing to testify under oath to all of this? Does she now have a bit of a credibility problem?

I am not condoning adolescent drinking nor drug abuse nor property destruction nor risky behavior. Neither do I condone exaggerating and making false or irrelevant accusations. Tina should focus on her real concerns, and leave speed (which she is no doubt patently unqualified to estimate) out of her complaint.