Archive for Friday, June 14, 2013

Letter: Shamans, Bible

June 14, 2013

To the editor:

In the June 10 “GO!” section, in the article on shamanism, I read this sentence: “But those who practice it say it doesn’t have to be exclusive of other healing approaches, or even religions.” All for whom the Judeo-Christian Bible is important might want to check out Deuteronomy 18:10-12 and Colossians 2:8, among other verses.

Comments

Hooligan_016 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm glad this brilliant prose has graced our pages today.

jonas_opines 1 year, 6 months ago

The purveyors of Coke would also prefer that you not purchase Pepsi.

Lewis Thomason 1 year, 6 months ago

What's the difference between one set of useless magic words and another. Might as well read chicken entrails for divine advice.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

Ah, but in America we have freedom of speech if even no one likes what we have to say. I do wish that those who are opposed to faith would be respectful of those who do worship, whatever that might include, and instead of simply insulting give an oppositional point of view as to how your beliefs contradict others.

jonas_opines 1 year, 6 months ago

In order to receive respect, despite holding different beliefs, then one should give respect, despite holding different beliefs. That should not include calling their practices detestable or deceitful, as this writer did. That he chooses to use Bible versus to convey his disrespectful message shouldn't make any difference. If your belief structure itself is encoded to not respect other belief structures, then that's kind of a systemic problem to be addressed. Or, don't expect it to be respected by those who don't believe in it.

Give respect, get respect -- it's really not so hard to understand.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

All he wrote was to read two verses from the Bible, by which I assume he meant a Protestant Bible, and the tone was that the speaker in the article was wrong or going to be punished according to those verses. Okay, I just talked myself into agreeing with you.

I was wrong because somehow I took the criticism of the letter writer in personal way because I am a Catholic Christian who devoutly believes in God. My belief is for me to live my faith, and let others live their lives the way they choose. I guess I will have to stop taking every adverse comment about faith as a personal insult to me for believing.

Don't you think though, that sometimes you have to offer respect even if it is not given because that makes you a better person for doing so? I am not even sure if that is precisely what I mean. Need some help here.

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

I think "tolerance" is a better way of saying it than "respect". I can't respect something I don't believe but I can tolerate it.

I'm a firm atheist, but your right to worship any god is a right I will help protect.

"Give respect, get respect -- it's really not so hard to understand."

The respect of any god or religion is not something I need.

jafs 1 year, 6 months ago

I would think you can respect the right of others to believe differently.

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

Tolerance of the belief is good enough for me. The right is guaranteed by the constitution so it doesn't really need my respect.

You are confusing the right with the religion. They are different things.

jafs 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not confusing anything.

You seem to be doing that - conflating the content of the religion with the right to believe in it.

jonas_opines 1 year, 6 months ago

"My belief is for me to live my faith, and let others live their lives the way they choose. I guess I will have to stop taking every adverse comment about faith as a personal insult to me for believing."

That 's fine. No problem with that at all. All in all, I don't have any problem with you, as a devout believer. Because, by and large, you seem to actually believe in the idea of live and let live.

This LTE writer, on the other hand, picked a fight, that he didn't need to concern himself with. As such, I don't really feel the need to let it slide, out of . . . undeserved respect.

Corey Williams 1 year, 6 months ago

wow
Your second paragraph has to be one of the best things I've ever seen on here. If only more people would stop and think like this:
"I guess I will have to stop taking every adverse comment about faith as a personal insult to me for believing."

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

Gay, finally looked it up on Google and now I think your letter really lacks merit. I didn't read where they sacrificed anyone in fire or did any of those other things. The second reading is rather more open to interpretation. But doesn't it also depend on who was writing the New International Version of the Bible and what they motives were in translating it, if any? How much do we really know about the original scriptures and what the authors really meant? They might be stunned to learn what their words have been turned into.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (New International Version)

10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you.

Colossians 2:8

New International Version (NIV)

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 6 months ago

Venal trickery and fairy tales are religions all. Just because someone believes something does not entitled them to respect. They do have every right, however, to believe in insipid drivel, but they do not have the right to not be criticized for it.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 6 months ago

I think this is a quote from the TV show "House":

If religious people listened to reason, there would be no religious people.

Armored_One 1 year, 6 months ago

Deuteronomy also goes on in 18:23 to state that you shall not mark the body as you do the dead, meaning no tattoos. I haven't noticed any significant efforts from the submitter of the letter calling for the closing of tattoo parlors.

I also distinctly remember "Thou shalt not suffer the witch to live" and at the same time the Ten Commandments order us to not kill. So which is it?

Gnostics have such a better grasp...