Archive for Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Letter: Gun fears unfounded

June 5, 2013

To the editor:

The recent actions by the city and county commissions (and the Lawrence Journal-World editorial “More guns”) are clearly not grounded in the facts. The legislation passed by the Kansas Legislature allows only for residents who are approved for a concealed carry license. In 2007, concealed carry was approved by the Legislature, and there were fears that this would increase crime and lead to a “Wild West” environment. These fears have proven unfounded, as statistics have shown a decrease in violent crime in Kansas.

In addition, those with a concealed carry license are much less likely to commit a crime than those who do not have a license. Concealed carry applicants must submit a detailed application, undergo a background check by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and wait at least 45 days (in most cases 90 days) before the license is issued. In addition, applicants must complete a safety course with a certified trainer.

The city and county commissioners are not only suggesting that it might be necessary to spend hundreds of thousands in taxpayer money; they are suggesting this is necessary to protect themselves from a specific population that is actually less dangerous. While concealed carry may not result in a safer environment, it certainly does not increase the risk of violence. I ask our commissioners to use reason before they spend more of our money.

Comments

50YearResident 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Joe, just a reminder for you. CC holders have been carrying guns in Lawrence for five years now. If they were inclined to shoot at you they could have done it before you walked into a posted building or right after you walked out of a posted building. If this hasn't happened yet, then you must be safe to go inside the building after the sign is removed. Take some time and think about what I just said and see if you can grasp what if anything will change by this law going into effect.

Brock Masters 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Joe it isn't my argument it is the law. Post a sign and I will respect it.

Your analogy makes no sense as you are mixing private and public property and making up a law that doesn't exist and never will.

Sour grapes is what I get from your post. The will of the people prevailed and you don't like it.

Show a little respect for the law.

Brock Masters 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"Indeed, their insistence on bringing concealed weapons into buildings despite signs saying "No Weapons", and doing that simply because they hold a CC permit"

Wrong, this is not what they are doing. I as a CCW holder observe all posted locations and do not bring my gun into that establishment.

The law prohibits posting the sign if there is no security so there is no sign to ignore. Provide security and post the sign and I will observe it.

Joe Hyde 10 months, 2 weeks ago

You'd think that anyone who passes the background check required to obtain a concealed carry permit is also a polite person, the type who respects the rights and wishes of property owners who prefer their property kept free of guns and knives.

This is basically what counties and cities are telling the Kansas legislature and CC permit holders: "We don't want ANYONE's guns and knives brought onto our county and municipal owned properties unless it's done by law enforcement people. Our employees feel more secure when firearms and other dangerous weapons are not getting carried into the public workplace. Permit holders are always welcome to come in; just don't bring in your weapons, please."

Now that's a pretty simple request; nothing hard to figure out.

For the state of Kansas to compel municipalities and county governments to allow firearms and knives on their property over the personal and official objections of staff and elected local representatives, such insistence by the state is both rude and arrogant. And I might add that CC permit holders who aggressively work to overwhelm this sensible objection by public servants are doing more harm than good in terms of furthering the acceptance of concealed carry.

Indeed, their insistence on bringing concealed weapons into buildings despite signs saying "No Weapons", and doing that simply because they hold a CC permit, is tantamount to hunters deliberately ignoring "No Hunting" signs posted by farmers and committing illegal trespass and poaching game animals simply because they're carrying a shotgun and have a valid Kansas hunting license.

BlackVelvet 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Some on here who routinely preach tolerance, but what they really mean is ..."as long as you agree with MY point of view". That's the only time they seem to be tolerant. Making fun of and mocking those who agree with Concealed Carry is not productive. Disagree with it if you wish. But enough of the name calling and junior high school behavior. Please.

FlintlockRifle 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes, please join the NRA and read the Armed Citizen column each month, usually not in Lawrence thank God ,but the crime cities in this great country

Topple 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I won't feel safe until everyone drives a tank.

BigAl 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I am not looking for an argument from either side with this question but has there ever been an instance where a cc person stopped or even altered a criminal offense in progress?

elliottaw 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I most also look like a real bad### because I have never felt the need to pull out a gun, and I grew up in the inner city were a stronger argument could be made. But then again maybe its just because I have a backbone and can stand up for myself that I don't feel the need to have my safety blanket with me at all time. Time to man up people and quite living likes scared little girls.

Kate Rogge 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I get around some, and I cannot remember the last time I was attacked nor when I was within sight or sound of someone who was being attacked. Is Lawrence and the rest of Kansas violently dangerous just when I'm not around? When was the last time any of those advocating for concealed carry were attacked? When did they last foil an attack upon someone else? How realistic is their fear of attack and their evident fears of not carrying weapons in public places?

Lynn731 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I think it does make the environment safer, as pertains to violent crime. I agree with you, and think the new gun and knife laws will be good for the state. Though I am perfectly happy with my assist open knife, I am not concerned about the switchblade and other weapons once illegal, now made legal. These give law abiding citizens more tools with which to protect themselves against violent criminals. As for "no gun signs" I do not enjoy going into a building with one, unless there are measures in place to protect me. In the majority of cases there are not, and I am stripped of the means to protect myself. I am pleased that this problem is partially addressed in the new law as it pertains to public buildings. I cannot help but wonder why this law frightens our elected representatives, and KU officials so much. Usually I avoid buildings with "no gun" signs, but when I must see a doctor I have no choice. I hope next year the legislature addresses this problem.

Biscayne 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks Patrick, good article and common sense.