Archive for Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Letter: Looking at Kansas

June 4, 2013

To the editor:

The Republican and Democratic leaders of the Kansas Senate have finally agreed on something. In regards to the tax fiasco, the Journal-World has quoted Senate President Susan Wagle as saying, “People are going to look at this all over the nation.”

Commenting on the Kansas Legislature’s attempt to dictate curriculum, Senate Democratic leader Anthony Hensley stated, “This is another example of why Kansas has become the laughing stock of the nation.”

They are both correct. People across the nation are looking at us, laughing, and being grateful they don’t live in Kansas.

Comments

havecents 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I know I'm misplaced living in Lawrence. My views are certainly more agreed upon in other places. I have many friends here, but we disagree a lot mostly because vey few of them know what rural Kansas living is all about and many are very liberal. Oh,they say they know about rural living and agriculture, but thy don't. This town is interesting, and there are any great people here, yet it does not reflectKansas. Some say "good" to that. That is certainly where the term "snob hill" comes from. They wear Kansas on their chest, bash its govt and people and preach tolerance, yet are intolerant of people who disagree. I accept Lawrence as a part of Kansas but I've ever been to another town in Kansas that tries harder to be something its not. As long as its in the border of Kansas and you live in it, you either better get thicker skin about what journalists say about our governor, run for governor, drum up support or a great candidate and do the leg work in getting them voted in, or deal with it. Sorry if I offend some people, but these are my observations and the observations of many outside of Lawrence too. Why aren't you worried about articles slamming Lawrence? They're out there. I can relate to one thing. I'll be out of here in a couple of years too, but I'll be moving west, to rural Kansas, where I can retire with a few head of cattle, fish, hunt, and camp. Ahhhhhhh, Kansas!!

globehead 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Mr. Flintlock:

"...that's when most of our "CLOWNS...." "when" what? And what "whole"? I think you've explained in one totally disjointed sentence why they ARE laughing at us. Thanks for the clarification.

FlintlockRifle 10 months, 2 weeks ago

East coast people huh, if I remember correctly that's when most of our "CLOWNS IN THE GOVERMENT WORK & LIVE"" and the whole is laughing at THEM &US.

tomatogrower 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I am going to try and stay and stand for awhile longer. I've already gone in and registered as a Republican so that I can vote in the Republican primary. Please encourage your friends in other towns to do the same. If we come together to help moderate Republicans get back their party, then we can go back to being Independents or Democrats. If this tactic doesn't work to get rid of these people, then I will consider selling all and leaving Kansas, but I'm not ready to give up yet. Sign up as a Republican and take back Kansas.

fmrl 10 months, 2 weeks ago

The times they are a-changing..All over the country and the world. An intelligent person adapts.

Leslie Swearingen 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I have traveled to and lived in quite a few places. Like many other KU grads I decided to settle down here to raise my family because I thought it was a better place than a big city for children.

I like the quiet which was the first thing I noticed when I returned. I have talked to international students on the bus who say they like the space here, it is so crowded where they are from.

I like the mix of architectural designs, apart from the ticky-tack houses, and the details on the buildings. After all this time I just noticed that the Natural History Museum on campus has scientist names on the window lintels. I like having access to all the campus museums and libraries.

I like the events at Woodruff Auditorium and those at the Lied Center. I like the concerts in the park and the brown bag concerts.

I like the way people do come together to help others. I have found that when I hear someone make a statement such as, all students are wealthy and only party, I can point out that there are many who work their way though school and are very serious about getting an education. Some simply go though life repeating the same things and actually appreciate the opportunity to rethink. Just do it in a quiet, respectful manner. Works for me.

Of course there is a cross mix of people in Lawrence and the rest of Kansas. The only thing that gets in national or international news is when the state legislature makes a controversial decision.

gatekeeper 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I travel a lot, have family and friends spread out all over this country and my job involves doing business with people from multiple countries around the world. People do make fun of Kansas. Kansas does make national and international news quite frequently. They see lots about Westboro BC. They see us fighting over dumbing down education standards. They see lots about the BS politics going on in our state.

All this BS talk about how Kansas is better than the east coast, blah blah blah. People on the east coast are great. People on the west coast are great. Most of us do share the same values. People in the midwest somehow think they're better than people that live on the coasts, probably because the only time they've spent on either of those coasts was on vacation and they only really base their opinions on what they see on tv. We have these grand thoughts that we have better morals, etc... I'm married to a California guy. I have a lot of family that lives out there (not just my inlaws). Guess what? They're just like us, only have more fun things to do and a beautiful ocean to play in. People across this nation aren't very different, we're just spread out over a huge, beautiful country.

The letter writer is correct. People are laughing at us. Not because we are Kansans living in the great, flat state in the middle of nowhere. They're laughing because we are going backwards. I'm ashamed that the state I was raised in that used to pride itself in being progressive has become so backwards and corporate controlled. I'm still here because of my elderly mother. When the unfortunate day comes that she's no longer with me, I will leave this state if we don't turn things around.

For those that forgot that Kansas didn't used to be backwards and was the center of the progressive movement, read this.

The Exodusters came from the South to KS, the free state, to start their lives over as free people. Why? Because Kansas was the progressive, free state that fought against slavery.

Kansas was a leader in the women's rights movement. Women in KS could vote in school district elections in 1861, then municipal elections in 1887. In 1912, we became the 8th state to allow women to vote in all elections.

Read up on W.A. White and his fighting chain stores and trying to protect Main St America and fight corporate America.

Did you know we fought the KKK in the 20's and kicked them out of the state?

Brown v Board of Education.

I would love to be proud of my home state again, but because of the leaders and the idiots that keep electing these right-wing nutjobs that only help their rich, corporate buddies, I can not. I so wish you people could see how they use a few hot-button issues to convince you to vote against yours and everyone else's better interests. I am fortunate to know many life-long replublicans that have left the party and hope it's a sign that we might take back over this state and make it a place to be proud of again.

overthemoon 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Anyone who is not aware of the press Kansas gets in the national press is not paying attention. The Brownback 'experiment' is definitely being watched...and analyzed and ridiculed as extraordinarily bad policy. And its not just the 'liberal' press. The criticism is coming from all corners.

jhawkinsf 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Of course people make fun of Kansas. And we make fun of Missouri. And anyone from Appalachia, Texas or California. Everyone outside Texas makes fun of them while they make fun of everyone from elsewhere. California's governor moonbeam gets his fair share of ridicule. So does Rick Perry and so does the Chicago political machine. Detroit is in bankruptcy and the mistake on the lake (Cleveland) is still the butt of many jokes.

We live in a free country. Those of us in Kansas have made a choice to be here. Those in California or Texas or New York City have made their choice.

Joe Blackford II 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"Check out Manhattan."

I assume that's meant to be a reflection on something positive here in Manhattan?

A Native Kansan, I've lived here since 1992, & was a student, 76-78.

There is a tremendous prey base here, what with the students & military. Technology? UH, CivicsPlus? Buying Hibachi Hut with city eco-devo $ was a great PR stunt.

Before lauding anything NBAF-related, do yourself a favor & develop an understanding of what Dual Use Research of Concern really means in Governmentspeak:

"the small subset of life sciences research with the highest potential for yielding knowledge, products, or technology that could be misapplied to threaten public health or national security is referred to as "dual use research of concern."

Do you really think Manhattan can keep a smile on the faces of 300 dual use researchers for the next 50 years? Keep in mind the rescinded LGBT ordinance; the cyclic demand to remove the UN flag while enshrining the 10 commandments? This is a town where diversity is tolerated only on the surface.

As soon as my wife retires (also a native Kansan, & yes, we're both well educated), we'll be leaving Kansas.

The NBAF Monkey On My Back

The NBAF Monkey On My Back by Joe Blackford II

streetman 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I, too, would like to see a source supporting the last sentence of Wagner's letter. I doubt that folks in Virginia (or Montana, or Arizona, or . . .) pay any more attention to what is going on in Kansas than Kansans do about those states' daily activities or politics.

Karl_Hungus 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Yep, from the East Coast and go back at least twice a year, they laugh. Heck, my folks once in a while will make a remark and they have every right to. If you think what Brownback and his band of chumps have done is good for us, brother, you got another thing coming!!

yourworstnightmare 10 months, 2 weeks ago

jafs is correct. Kansas has a very bad reputation, as simple and ignorant at best, and as a crazy right wing insane asylum at worst.

It is why all of the tax breaks in the world will not lure high tech businesses and jobs of the future here. Smart, motivated business people want to live in a state that values ideas, education, and infrastructure. Kansas has proven again and again that it does not. It is a sad but true situation. For proof, speak to folks from around the country and read popular media reports about Kansas.

Brock Masters 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't believe people are laughing at us. Kansas is a wonderful state and I am proud to be a Kansan.