Archive for Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lawrence police write 586 tickets in 2013 Click it or Ticket campaign

June 4, 2013

Lawrence police issued citations for 586 violations of seat-belt and child-restraint laws between May 20 and June 2, during the 2013 national Click it or Ticket campaign, according to a news release from the Lawrence Police Department.

The enforcement effort involved 140 law enforcement agencies across Kansas and was paid for through a Kansas Department of Transportation grant. Sixty-three percent of fatal-accident victims in Kansas in 2012 were not wearing seat belts, according to KDOT studies.

The citations issued by Lawrence police included five child-restraint violations, eight seat-belt violations by people between the ages of 14 and 17, 511 adult seat-belt violations, and citations for 62 other types of violations.

Comments

Scott Morgan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

apple........I am one of the good worker ants, I will be happy just to get some social security after nearly 45 years of living the real American Dream.

Do you feel the same for daredevil folks who need rescuing from our lakes or mountains after a conscientious decision to do something stupid?

I have not a clue how anybodies money except mine will be involved in anything I do or don't do. Oh, do not forget how many years some of us boomers have paid Medicare taxes. (which would pay for an accident + supplemental insurance)

Most have not a clue is smallish but adds up in an honest paycheck.

I count money paid into federal programs my moolah.

Maybe you've hit on something though! Slacker ants should sign away the freebee government goodies. Yes, if they don't abide by the blowing in the wind flavor of the day whims of our government control folks we should forbade them.

appleaday 10 months, 2 weeks ago

If you sign a waiver saying that the taxpayers won't have to foot your unemployment costs and your medical bills, go ahead and go without a seatbelt. Unfortunately, many people in accidents live to be maimed for life but aren't able to work (and lose their health insurance).

Scott Morgan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Why not demand automobile doors made to be strong enough to not open in an accident? The truth is really not out about the dangers of wearing a seat-belt..... BTW.

I religiously strapped my kids in car seats at the age, and encourage anybody driving with me to wear them if this wish. But, I like making these decisions, not some government nitwit sucking up insurance lobby money.

I can not believe how far this country has turned towards legislating our freedoms away.

nate cleveland 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I find it hard to accept that people driving down the road that have interlock devices installed on their cars can keep driving while having to fiddle around with the device yet, they want to ticket you for following too closely, texting, and other "violations" that seem to me to be just as distracting as the device is. people need to wake up and realize that police are just profiling you. If you look suspicious for any reason cops are going to use that to pull you over. If your ever pulled over for a seat belt violation, cops arent really looking for the seatbelt, they already have that, they are looking for anything that they can hang you with. especially in lawrence and eudora.

Tradways 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Seat belts are a personal decision, they are not a public safety issue. Just another over reaching government law made by well funded lobbyist.

TongiJayhawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"The citations issued by Lawrence police included five child-restraint violations" Nothing more aggravating then seeing a toddler in the next car over, climbing all over!!

guppypunkhead 10 months, 2 weeks ago

As one of the 586, I ain't even mad.

Scott Morgan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I despise the feeling of being trapped in by wearing a seatbelt. What are the expensive airbags for anywho?

I distinctly remember when this "gotcha" law was passed we all were assured it would never be a pullover ticketed offense. So much for trusting the government.

Matthew Herbert 10 months, 2 weeks ago

My truck dings if I don't have my seatbelt on....and won't stop until I do. That's 100% effective for me.

ImRonBurgandy 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I disagree with the law. I do wear mine but the politics and lobbying by the insurance companies is what pushed this law through. I personally feel it's silly to not have a helmet law on a motorcycle but you can't ride in a car without a seatbelt. I'm a constitutionalists who believes it should be your decision to make, not the government. I want everyone to wear a seatbelt but I DON"T want the government to nanny us and turn a profit off this.

LJ Whirled 10 months, 2 weeks ago

100 percent of fatal-accident victims in Kansas were IN WRECKS.

Why do we not focus on the bad driving, the reduction of which would prevent wrecks?

Seat belts are fine, but they only help reduce the damage AFTER the wreck, and I'd like to see us work on PREVENTING the wreck.

I could write a thousand tickets a day for distracted driving, following too closely, failing to signal, unsafe turns, etc., etc., .... but I guess there are no grant funds for that.

No tinfoil hat for me, but I'm scratching my head over the priorities.

patkindle 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I am sure many of you think your tin foil hat will protect you better than a seatbelt but a lot of Lawrence folks think it is the govts responsibility to protect us from cradle to grave since so many folks are so stupid anyway, however you feel, you must admit it is a good income producer