Archive for Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lawrence police write 586 tickets in 2013 Click it or Ticket campaign

June 4, 2013

Lawrence police issued citations for 586 violations of seat-belt and child-restraint laws between May 20 and June 2, during the 2013 national Click it or Ticket campaign, according to a news release from the Lawrence Police Department.

The enforcement effort involved 140 law enforcement agencies across Kansas and was paid for through a Kansas Department of Transportation grant. Sixty-three percent of fatal-accident victims in Kansas in 2012 were not wearing seat belts, according to KDOT studies.

The citations issued by Lawrence police included five child-restraint violations, eight seat-belt violations by people between the ages of 14 and 17, 511 adult seat-belt violations, and citations for 62 other types of violations.

Comments

patkindle 1 year, 6 months ago

I am sure many of you think your tin foil hat will protect you better than a seatbelt but a lot of Lawrence folks think it is the govts responsibility to protect us from cradle to grave since so many folks are so stupid anyway, however you feel, you must admit it is a good income producer

tomatogrower 1 year, 6 months ago

How about requiring everyone to take driver's ed.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

Driver's Ed is a joke. We need a complete overhaul of our Driver's Training program. A new training program would be implemented for new drivers. Current license holders wouldn't be exempt from these new changes either. I'd require a much more in depth test (say 100 questions) including everything from lane discipline to road signs to right of way plus more. You'd be able to miss three...much like the test I had to take to get my driver's license in Germany. If you miss more than three, you would fail and your license would be suspended until you passed. Test could be taken once in a 24 hour period.

Bad driving is an epidemic anymore. People camp out in the left lane, slam on their brakes to allow people to merge, don't understand the concept of right of way and fail to use turn signals plus many other bad bad driving habits. These violations tend to go unpunished because it is solely speeding that is watched like a hawk...as it is an easy revenue producer.

Only after a complete overhaul of the ENTIRE system will things start to get better.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

Agree 100%! No open book tests.

With the running late attitude, there comes the 'me, me, me' complex on the road...which has to go. We're all trying to do the same thing: Get from point A to point B.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

There will always be accidents. We're human after all. To think otherwise is just silly...even for the fans of autonomous vehicles, there will be accidents. Things happen.

People thought the bar/restaurant scene in Lawrence would nose dive too with the ban on smoking. That sure panned out.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for more city revenue. :p

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree with you but I also think that the insurance (health and car) should be able to refuse to cover your cost if you are not wearing your seatbelt

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 6 months ago

My truck dings if I don't have my seatbelt on....and won't stop until I do. That's 100% effective for me.

Scott Morgan 1 year, 6 months ago

Ren.........the dealer can make the ding go away. Actually in the manual too.

Scott Morgan 1 year, 6 months ago

I despise the feeling of being trapped in by wearing a seatbelt. What are the expensive airbags for anywho?

I distinctly remember when this "gotcha" law was passed we all were assured it would never be a pullover ticketed offense. So much for trusting the government.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

That is a silly excuse to not wear one. A well fitting seatbelt won't even be noticeable... An airbag isn't going to save you if you're not wearing a seatbelt. They're designed to be used together.

TongiJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

"The citations issued by Lawrence police included five child-restraint violations" Nothing more aggravating then seeing a toddler in the next car over, climbing all over!!

bevy 1 year, 6 months ago

I think the child restraint fines should be 10 times higher than the adult violations! Kids have no say in their own safety. If adults want to be careless/foolish enough to go unbelted, fine - the consequences are on them. But kids should be buckled up!

Tradways 1 year, 6 months ago

Seat belts are a personal decision, they are not a public safety issue. Just another over reaching government law made by well funded lobbyist.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

There was an accident report in the paper that said the driver was partially ejected. To me that sounds like a nightmarish scene to come across. I thank God for the first responders but worry about how they have to deal with the horrible things they see during the course of their work. Not everyone could handle it.

chootspa 1 year, 6 months ago

It still costs taxpayer money to scrape your corpse off the pavement or care for your horribly injured body should you be permanently disabled from your injuries.

Scott Morgan 1 year, 6 months ago

Why not demand automobile doors made to be strong enough to not open in an accident? The truth is really not out about the dangers of wearing a seat-belt..... BTW.

I religiously strapped my kids in car seats at the age, and encourage anybody driving with me to wear them if this wish. But, I like making these decisions, not some government nitwit sucking up insurance lobby money.

I can not believe how far this country has turned towards legislating our freedoms away.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

The dangers of wearing a seat belt is FAR outweighed by the dangers of NOT wearing one. If you don't wish to wear one, that is obviously your choice...but to go around telling someone they shouldn't for safety reasons? C'mon...

appleaday 1 year, 6 months ago

If you sign a waiver saying that the taxpayers won't have to foot your unemployment costs and your medical bills, go ahead and go without a seatbelt. Unfortunately, many people in accidents live to be maimed for life but aren't able to work (and lose their health insurance).

Scott Morgan 1 year, 6 months ago

apple........I am one of the good worker ants, I will be happy just to get some social security after nearly 45 years of living the real American Dream.

Do you feel the same for daredevil folks who need rescuing from our lakes or mountains after a conscientious decision to do something stupid?

I have not a clue how anybodies money except mine will be involved in anything I do or don't do. Oh, do not forget how many years some of us boomers have paid Medicare taxes. (which would pay for an accident + supplemental insurance)

Most have not a clue is smallish but adds up in an honest paycheck.

I count money paid into federal programs my moolah.

Maybe you've hit on something though! Slacker ants should sign away the freebee government goodies. Yes, if they don't abide by the blowing in the wind flavor of the day whims of our government control folks we should forbade them.

appleaday 1 year, 6 months ago

It's just that seatbelts are known to save lives and it's one way we as a society can help do some good. It's not that difficult to buckle up. I'm just reacting to the folks who seem to think that their "freedom" doesn't affect anyone else.