Archive for Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Letter: Wasted effort

July 30, 2013

To the editor:

I have a question for Lynn Jenkins and her colleagues in the U.S. House. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is one of the definitions of insanity. Almost 40 times, you and other Republican die-hards have voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) knowing full well it has no chance in the Senate and would be vetoed by the president before it touched his desk. Why are you doing this, instead of trying to find a way to help the middle class, trying to slow down global warming or finding jobs for millions of struggling Americans? Are you so blinded by your hatred of the president you cannot see that the country has problems or do you just not care?

Comments

George Lippencott 8 months, 2 weeks ago

You are spring loaded to taking offense. The "at each others throats" is generic as to the state of the country. I was arguing tax increases on a selected few while you were arguing I should be happy to pay them (my interpretation of your comment).

Now I have been abundantly clear over the last two years that I am not opposed to a social safety net. I do question if the one we have is tuned to the outcome desired. I have called for dialogue on that topic and been completely ignored. About half my federal income taxes go to pay that cost.

I spend probably more than you on public education and I have no problem with doing so. I do have a problem with the ceaseless demand for more resources as I do not (and studies from the m iddle and right support me) believe that teacher salaries equate to better education.

I presented a solution to the problem of individuals lacking health care that did not require the complexity of the ACA. Our insurance has already increased by about 10% and the government owner of the policy acknowledges that in part that is due to the ACA. You can not require coverage until 26 without increasing premiums. There are other elements of the ACA that raise costs to all insurance programs this is just an example. Our drug coverage has been restructured and is now rationed where it was not before. It appears that it will also be more expensive - again attributed to an effort to reduce costs driven in part by the ACA.

Why is it so important to you that we define everybody as a "winner"? There is no way you can add 20 million people and a bunch of new services and not have a cost increase or rationing. If you disagree please explain how that is possible.

Now most of the arguments about the ACA and its goodness are focused on the future as it has not yet been really implemented. Since I do not see any meaningful reductions in costs for medical services. I (as someone with insurance and someone that pays federal income taxes) see only an annual tax increase to pay for the program as it is implemented. Remember we did not only cover those twenty million we established a program to subsidize their costs. That program nominally pays a subsidy to families up to four times the poverty level. That includes people well above the average income in this country.

So we are losers already and we can see no way we will not be bigger losers in the future when all the subsidizes kick in (next year). It remains to be seen how much "savings" is scrubbed out of Medicare with what consequence to availability and scope of services.

Mr. Reid s call for a trillion more tax dollars just adds credence (for us) to that expected reality. See related blog at http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/loyal-opposition/2013/aug/2/what-you-didnt-read/

toe 8 months, 2 weeks ago

The fight over declining national wealth will be the story for the next 100 years.

George Lippencott 8 months, 2 weeks ago

jafs says

"I don't agree that there will be "winners and losers", that's all. Just because something doesn't benefit you personally doesn't mean you'll be "losing".

But, if you see it that way, then you'll probably oppose things that benefit other people, which is a shame."

Where do you get off arguing that I should be happy that I am paying more for less so that some people can have insurance. What arrogance!! Why can our system not just add coverage for those that did not have it (say under Medicaid). That would cost taxpayers but not impact those already with insurance.

This is exactly why we are at each others throats. Your see no problem in a never ending increase in goodies to your favored groups at the expense of the 50% of us that actually pay for all those goodies. If you want all the goodies you pay for them! And drop the majority rule Baloney.

At some point the social contract will fail because a small minority is asked to pay a disproportionate portions of the bill for the society. 35% is enough!!!

Pheps 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I think it would be social justice to force progressive Democrats, and only progressive Democrats, that voted for President Obama, on his Affordable care.

Werfel, doesn't want it, what is social justice in forcing it on me?

Stain 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Lynn Jenkins just tags along and follows instructions from the worst of the right-wingers in Congress.

She will never buck them, or do a thing for Kansans.

Stain 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Republicans' worst nightmare:

Obamacare is fully implemented. Everyone benefits. No one is hurt by it.

And since they named it "Obamacare" they cannot rewrite history and claim credit for it!

Mike Ford 8 months, 3 weeks ago

wow I can't call out the repeated fibs and lunacy that pass for truth from some corners of the blogosphere. really.....the only reason this person speaks of winners and losers is because they've bought the nonsense line about ACA from the right. My father rode a VIA Rail train (Canada's Amtrak equivalent) from Kenora, Ontario, to Montreal, Quebec last summer. Like 800 miles. Those Canadians have had this type of health care system for 60 years. It works quite well for them. I know two people in Lawrence with dual citizenship who go back to Vancouver and Toronto for health care. They stay up there for a week to get checked out. They think that the US is full of right wing denialists who repeat this end of days nonsense over and over until it's believed. I'm tired of people reveling in intentional stupidity like it's a right. They only went the simpleton route when an intelligent president was elected.

George Lippencott 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Did it every enter your mind that many people (you included) will benefit from the program. Many other people will not and they are not supporters. Many people (winners and losers) do wonder about the costs and whether rationing will result.

Mike Ford 8 months, 3 weeks ago

oh to stop the misinformation on here that is routinely believed by Kansans being Rupert Murdoch fans and Koch Brothers fans and other purveyors of archie bunker fantasy I went to the Kaiser Family Foundation healthcare calculator and for a two person household with $28,300 yearly income from two fulltime jobs our healthcare costs will be $1670.00 a year for the Bronze plan which is actual healthcare without pre existing conditions. This is like $130 or $140 a month and I have roughly $220 a month to spend on healthcare. This time next February my wife and I will have actual health insurance like much of the rest of civilized western world. When will the people sticking their fingers into the light sockets on purpose realize your fear mongering doesn't work with people who actually think. I'm beginning to think there's a pied piper with the flute music of fear coming out that those incapable of thinking are doomed to believe. I will simply put a needle to your balloon of fear and laugh. Maybe there should be a competency/intelligence test for some Kansas voters and their gop politicians.

tomatogrower 8 months, 3 weeks ago

This is how our Kansas, so called, "fiscally responsible" reps save money? "East Coast Missile Defense: Members refused 173-249, to strip HR 2379 of $70 million for planning a missile-defense site on the East Coast. to go with existing sites in California and Alaska. A yes vote was to defund a program that the Pentagon has not requested or approved." All our reps voted no. So they are giving the Pentagon money they didn't even request. They also voted to give the Pentagon $3.6 billion that the Pentagon did not request for operations in war zones overseas. So the Pentagon gets money, even when they don't request it? Which corporations are making a profit here? I'll bet they are big donors to our "fiscally responsible" Republican conservatives.

Liberty275 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Welcome to the era of 29.5 hour work weeks until the ACA is repealed.

WilburM 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Simple letter, asking a simple question -- produces a Rorschach-test set of responses re Obama and health care. Still the question, why forty votes? The US House is currently, even more than the Senate,

Enlightenment 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Here's an interesting story to add to the mix regarding healthcare. Montana is offering State run free clinics for the state's employees in order to reduce expenses. Universal healthcare at a state level? Best part is that it works great and those formerly opposed to it admit that it is a good program.

dogbait 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Our government is bought and paid for! Simple as that! If you have enough money, you make laws that work for you and your buddies.

George Lippencott 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Well the president has been in office for almost five years. The middle class is seeing a steady decline in their adjusted income. The rich are getting richer despite a small tax increase. The poor are basically protected.

Exactly where is the help for the middle class. I guess the middle class is only composed of construction workers (infrastructure investment) and teachers (education funding). Seems to me that there are a lot more people in the middle class. I guess this is Obama's trickle out theory.

Along the way and in progress are a whole bunch of regulatory actions that are raising the costs of energy (and many other things) that are an effective tax on the middle class. These may be desirable actions but they cost - in some cases significantly.

It does not appear to me that Mr. Obama is trying to help the middle class. From my standpoint he is trying to help solid Democratic Party constituencies (who at best may break even given the regulatory costs).

When is enough - when the state determines what I put on my plate for breakfast? At least MS Jenkins is trying to keep my breakfast my affair.

fmrl 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Despite the posturing we have a one-party rule in Washington. The only difference in the two factions of the DemocraticRepublican party is in their rhetoric. We have the illusion that there is dissention but Congress acts as a unit. If the Republican faction were in power during the Obamacare vote they would just as easily have voted it in and The Democratic faction would be whining. Remember, it was the insurance companies which wrote this bill. This "partisan" bickering is nothing more than a ruse.

Phil Minkin 8 months, 3 weeks ago

It costs $1.45 MILLION each time the house takes one of these votes destined to go no where. Congress is wasting their time and our money for empty political grandstanding.

ChuckFInster 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I couldn't help but notice in the last election speech Obama made in Warrensburg that he kept talking about what "we need to do" and " it is up to us". I thought about those statements for a second and wondered why our leader ( term used very loosely ) is STILL talking about what we need to do.  A leader would talk about this is the direction we are going and most importantly this is how we are going to get there. That is a plan , that is leadership.

Well into his second term "we" have yet to see the first go round of campaign promises come to light. As a matter of fact Obama is still spooning out the same schtick as his original run for the presidency.History is a good indicator of future behavior, do Obama's accomplishments give much hope that anything will change under his watch. 3-1/2 years left of the same do nothing and blame the other guy.

Obama is now like Jim Carey, First he was new and exciting but after the same thing year after year the act is old and it would be nice if he would just shut up and go away.

skinny 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Obamacare will be repealed, so just forget about it. The Government has no business being in the so called health care business! If you want health insurance go buy it!! Even if you have to get a second, third, or fourth job! No more hand outs!

Pheps 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Concerning Obamacare, Unions, a 1000 or so organizations that received waivers, and all businesses deferred of Obamacare until after 2014 elections, are on the side of Jenkins.

4 of 5 Americans are close to poverty. There are 9 million fewer jobs than 2008. There were 25 million on food stamps in 2008. There are now 47 million.

Obama has had the the economy for 41/2 years. It's his economy now.

Are you so blinded by your hatred of Jenkins, that you do not see what Obama is doing? Or do you not care?

FastEddy 8 months, 3 weeks ago

There is currently a push by some Republicans to defund Obamacare in FY14. Since all indicators point to a fiasco when Obamacare is fully implemented, this may not be a bad idea. It would give this administration time to sort out the problems with this trainwreck of a bill. Qustion for you Phil... if Obama is so concerned about the middle class, then why has he chosen to implement only the mandate affecting the middle class while exempting large companies for a year?

poolside 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Mental illness has treatment options. Hatred is educated. Either way, there is a solution.