Opinion

Opinion

Letter: Enough Brownback

July 26, 2013

To the editor:

Gee, 90-year-old Bob Dole endorses Republican Sam Brownback, the incumbent, for re-election. Is this supposed to surprise anyone? Bob Dole said he thought Medicare was “a bad idea” and voted against it. But to appoint someone with the same last name as President Eisenhower, who warned us to “beware of the military-industrial complex,” is a long, long reach.

Bob Dole, in the meantime, is enjoying the best medical care the nation’s taxpayers can afford free as part of his retirement package. The Republican Party has made itself clear as being against all “social programs” that benefit anyone but themselves with the excuse “we can not afford it!” This translates to: “if it will raise taxes on the top 1 percent who now pay at half the rate of their secretaries.” Some multimillionaires pay only Social Security tax on a very small part of their yearly incomes.

There are countless examples of Republicans defending the turf of their largest contributors. Do we really want four more years of Brownback in Kansas? This man has taken control of the executive, the legislative and the judicial. What has happened to the idea of balance of powers? He has even offended many in his own party — throwing out moderates like last week’s newspapers. Enough, I say! It has been a long two and a half years in Kansas.

Comments

Stain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

The shred of respect I had for Bob Dole is 100% gone now. Shame on him.

BigDog 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Mr. Hickam .... Conservatives are not opposed to social programs as you claim. Conservatives support social programs for those who can't help themselves ... but not for those who won't help themselves. That is where they differ from many Democrats.

Nani700 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Never been a big fan of Bob Dole but truly am sorry to learn that his memory is slipping so badly. Just a few months ago after his unfortunate testimony in Washington DC, he had a pretty clear picture of what Republicans have become. Dole seems to have forgotten that Sam is cut of the same cloth as those who rejected him. As far as the Eisenhower woman, the only connection to Kansas is her relationship to a someone born in that state, doubt that she could actually find it on the map or knows what a great state it used to be.

BlackVelvet 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I am definitely not a brownback fan. Never have been, never will be. But the letter writer's comment ..."This man has taken control of the executive, the legislative and the judicial. What has happened to the idea of balance of powers?..." sounds like Obama to me. I guess a politician is a politician. cheats and liars...

markoo 8 months, 3 weeks ago

The author of this letter as well as everyone in the state of Kansas has a terrific opportunity to do as she asks - and it will take more than just your vote. It will take some of your time and a little bit of money from everyone in order to defeat the machine that the Koch bros. have behind Brownback.

So yes, please get out and vote (for a change, dear Lawrencians). But put your time in to volunteer and a little donation to his opponent if you really want change to occur. Otherwise we'll all get to hear you whine and moan another 4 more years when you could have actually made a difference this time.

toe 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Bob Dole is a fine person. Perhaps great. More like him is what this nation needs. Governor Brownback is not even worthy to stand in his shadow.

Newell_Post 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Are the stupid Google survey questions gone? I haven't seen one in a few days. They couldn't possibly have believed anyone would answer those stupid things truthfully. One of the questions I got was something like:

How many states are there in the United States?: 1. 20 2. 25 3. 50 4. 45 5. 10

I answered "10".

Abdu Omar 8 months, 3 weeks ago

While I agree with this LTE, I have lost a lot of respect for Bob Dole. I am sorry he is part of this guy's team. Brownback has put a stain on Kansas and we must, I say "MUST" reject him for another term. If he is re-elected, we are in big trouble.

fmrl 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I have a suggestion for Kansas Democrats who want to defeat Brownback. See if you can get Sandy Praeger to run as an Independent. She will syphon off enough of Brownback's votes for the Democrats to win. Not that I'm a Democrat... just saying.