Archive for Monday, July 15, 2013

Lawrence attorney Wakefield may challenge Jenkins in U.S. House race

July 15, 2013

Lawrence attorney Margie Wakefield, a Democrat, announced today that she is considering a challenge to U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins, R-Topeka, in the 2014 election.

Wakefield said people are disillusioned with Congress and that Jenkins' vote last week on the farm bill was a vote against Kansas values and in favor of Washington politics.

House Republicans approved a farm bill after stripping out the food stamp program used by 48 million Americans.

Wakefield said the connection of farm subsidies with the food stamp program was a key alliance formed 40 years ago by former U.S. Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan. and Democratic U.S. Sen. George McGovern of South Dakota.

"The Farm Bill was one of Senator Dole's greatest accomplishments, a legacy of bi-partisan cooperation," said Wakefield. "I'm outraged that Lynn Jenkins once again put partisan politics before the best interests of Kansas families."

Jenkins said she voted for the farm bill without the food stamp program because current agricultural policy is inefficient and outdated.

"The House bill eliminates direct payments, improves crop insurance, and saves taxpayers nearly $20 billion," Jenkins said. "This is progress, and will allow us to come together with the Senate and create a better system than we currently have today. Doing nothing, yet again, would have been irresponsible and put our food security at risk,” she said.

Wakefield, a family law attorney, has lived in Lawrence for more than 30 years. She is currently chair of the Douglas County Democratic Party and 2nd Congressional District Caucus.

The 2nd Congressional District includes all of Lawrence and Douglas County, and most of eastern Kansas, stretching from the state's borders with Nebraska and Oklahoma.

Wakefield said that over the next few months she will travel extensively through the 2nd district to listen to Kansans about their concerns.

Comments

estelleandernie 9 months ago

Please run, even my wife, a Republican of almost 30 years no longer considers herself a Republican thanks in good part to Ms Jenkins. On the other hand the longer she stays....no Ms Jenkins needs to go.

1southernjayhawk 9 months, 1 week ago

Wakefield has neither the temperament nor style nor ability nor intelligence to see all facets of an issue. It would be a mistake for her to be elected to the House of Representatives.

Clearly4Kansas 9 months, 1 week ago

Her candidacy is dead because of her documented advocacy for ObamaCare. Even employer plan premiums will skyrocket and employers will shove employees to the federal exchanges - nice person but she picked the wrong year to run.

yourworstnightmare 9 months, 1 week ago

Health care markets: A GOP idea.

Much of the current immigration bill: GOP ideas.

Using force to promote goals around the globe (e.g. Libya): a GOP idea.

Suddenly, when Obama supports these ideas, the Tea-bots (Jenkins) in the GOP are against them.

Brock Masters 9 months, 1 week ago

Might get my vote, but I need to know about her positions on issues.

blindrabbit 9 months, 1 week ago

Republican gerrymandering makes Wakefield's chances for success more difficult; god bless Sammy and the repressive Legislature.

jamoca 9 months, 1 week ago

There is no way she gets my vote.

Claudean McKellips 9 months, 1 week ago

Margie Wakefield has my vote. Jenkins works for ALEC/ AFP and never has time for Kansas taxpayers/constituents.

btsflk 9 months, 1 week ago

You have my vote, but hope you have money for lots of BIG signs to be placed everywhere. Yes, you must get into the outlying parts of the district.

Good Luck!

yourworstnightmare 9 months, 1 week ago

Jenkins is a lock-step obstructionist tea party bot. Her goal as a congresswoman is to simply obstruct and block the President at every step, no matter the issue. She has nothing constructive to add, only destructive negativity.

It is time for Jenkins to go.

jhawkinsf 9 months, 1 week ago

"I'm not a member of an organized political party. I'm a Democrat" - Will Rogers.

Whomever the Democrats put up against Brownback, that person needs a couple of years to organize, shake hands, fund raise, etc. Because no candidate has emerged in time to do all those things, we can safely assume that the Democrats will put forth some well meaning sacrificial lamb to run against Brownback.

And I thought Will Rogers was from Oklahoma. Now I find out he must have been from Kansas.

P.S. I hope Wakefield or some other Democrat puts up a meaningful campaign against Jenkins. And I hope other parties put forward good candidates as well.

kansasredlegs 9 months, 1 week ago

The more candidates the better off we are. I suggest that you travel far and wide outside of Lawrence . Here in Lawrence, you will get slaps on the back, praise up and down both sides but be slaughtered in the district election if you don't learn what others in this State want.

Driving around here during the last election, one would have thought Holland and Six could muster a fight. Not a chance, those two races reminded me of that youtube fight where the guy dances around for 5 minutes, then finally approaches the other fighter and immediately gets knocked "the blank" out by one punch.

Good luck Margie, you're going to need it since there's more to the distict than Lawrence. If you don't think and act like a Lawrencian, you might just have a chance.

bearded_gnome 9 months, 1 week ago

she can go ahead and run, but the rest of Kansas has more sense than to vote for a democrat for this seat.

bearded_gnome 9 months, 1 week ago

^^Is my recollection correct – that Lynn Jenkins's first vote of any consequence was AGAINST the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act?

---probably so. she would oppose having bureaucrats in charge of setting pay rates. also, much of the supposed pay disparities are trumped up by lumping unrelated occupations for comparison.

roadwarrior 9 months, 1 week ago

Nice to see a democrat with the confidence to step up and put some skin in the game. Probably going to need some ointment for the road rash to come but I think you might be able to do it Margie. Now, who has the balls to run for governor ?

Orwell 9 months, 1 week ago

Shelley Bock 9 months, 1 week ago

While there have been times I have wanted to yell and scream at Wakefield in a professional environment, I respect her intensity and commitment to her clients. I trust she'd do the same for all Kansans in her district, not just the favored or who are in agreement with her.

She'd listen and discuss issues, those in agreement and in opposition. She's got guts to stand up for her convictions, yet has the ability to acknowledge and change when there's a different opinion. I fully believe that she'll find a compromise for the success of Kansas and the nation.

I never thought of her in politics, but am excited to hear that she's thinking of challenging Jenkins. I'm not only going to vote for her, I'm going to donate and work for her campaign.

Steven Swaggerty 9 months, 1 week ago

Hope she does. Anything would be better than the current office holder!

1southernjayhawk 9 months, 1 week ago

She is probably the last person we need in a position of lawmaking. Her brand of thinking has helped accelerate the demise of our country.

kernal 9 months, 1 week ago

Jenkins used the party line on her vote against the Farm Bill and probably never had an original idea of her own. Wakefield on the other hand, is able to think on her own two feet and doesn't need daily coaching from ALEC.

Larry Moss 9 months, 1 week ago

I can see the yard sign now.......I'm an attorney you can trust me.

blindrabbit 9 months, 1 week ago

fearthephog: Agree she (Jenkins) is a dolt, but strong competition from other Kansans.

Yoder, the nude Sea of Galilee swimmer Huelskamp: Farm subsidy gatherer who was kicked off of Agriculture Subcommittee Pompeo: Charles and David Koch's lackey and link to legislative needs.

Catalano 9 months, 1 week ago

Interesting. Does this mean Tobias S. (I am not going to try to figure out how to spell his last name) has decided to not run again?

inc 9 months, 1 week ago

Great news, Margie, do run. There will be votes for you from our home.

fearthephog512 9 months, 1 week ago

Go get it, Wakefield!! Jenkins has to be the most ignorant and misinformed of Kansas' members of congress — and that's saying something! Would love to have some diversity in thought from Kansas' leaders.

inc 9 months, 1 week ago

Please run, Margie, you have two votes from our house.

tomatogrower 9 months, 1 week ago

She has my vote!!! Time to get rid of the Tea Party, ALEC supporters.