Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Convicted sex offender arrested in Lawrence

July 15, 2013

Kansas registered offender Jermaine Dion Smith.

Kansas registered offender Jermaine Dion Smith.

A 41-year-old man was arrested Sunday afternoon in Lawrence on suspicion of failing to register as a sex offender.

Lawrence police arrested Jermaine Dion Smith, who was convicted of aggravated indecent solicitation of a child in Wyandotte County in 2000, about 7:30 p.m. Sunday near 23rd St. and Naismith Dr., according to jail records.

No fixed address was listed for Smith, and he was in Douglas County Jail today without bond, awaiting transfer to the custody of U.S. Marshals.

Sunday was the second time Smith has been arrested for failing to register with authorities in Douglas County as required by his 2000 conviction, according to Kansas prison records. He was recently paroled to Douglas County after spending three months in Kansas prisons for parole violations. Smith had also been convicted of failing to register in Wyandotte County in 2004.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 3 months ago

It makes me wonder what kind of identification, if any, is required in order to stay at the Homeless Shelter. Do they do background checks? There are families with children staying there and I would think this would be a concern.

I am proud of Lawrence for providing this shelter for those who need it. I do think about the homeless when it is really hot or cold, or at night when the rain is falling and the wind is whistling around the eves. I imagine them all huddled wet, hungry and thoroughly miserable. I pray for their well being. I give thanks to all who help them to find the path.

50YearResident 1 year, 3 months ago

It that the path leading out of town? I'll thank them too

tanaumaga 1 year, 3 months ago

No, it's not.....so hold your thanks for one of your more positive responses.

Kat Christian 1 year, 3 months ago

Since these offenders fail to register as a sex offender...how difficult is it for law enforcement to register them into a computer before they are released from prison? Just a thought. In this day and age of the computer that reaches around the world there isn't a database available to enter these offenders in without relying on them to report to do so when most of them don't. There has to be a better tracking system developed.

kochmoney 1 year, 3 months ago

He is in a computer. He's not registering his place of residence when he moves, and he's homeless, so he's pretty difficult to track.

kernal 1 year, 3 months ago

Why was he paroled to Douglas County?

otto 1 year, 3 months ago

Just a guess -- Paroled is a conditional release, If they ask him where he is going to live and he gives them an address in Douglas county, that's where you get paroled.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

^^kernal 16 hours, 35 minutes ago

Why was he paroled to Douglas County?

---um, ... because he can? because the pickins are good here?

Andy_LCS 1 year, 3 months ago

LCS does screen for registered sex offenders and they are not permitted to stay at the shelter.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank you Andy, that is what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure. I was hoping that people would understand that and not automatically assume the worst of the shelter and the people who stay there. Apparently the commenter below saw a word that is not in your comment.