Archive for Thursday, July 11, 2013

Letter: Game is rigged

July 11, 2013

To the editor:

The laxly enforced ban on fireworks in Lawrence serves as an apt metaphor for this country (“Hardly a ban,” Journal-World, July 8). Over the past decade, the U.S. has tended to ignore those laws which were enacted to serve the common good. Parochial interests have taken precedence over the welfare of the many. This casual disregard of the law is evident in Washington and on Wall Street and has resulted in the disasters in Iraq and to the American economy. Those charged with enforcing the law understand that the game is rigged and are encouraged to look the other way.

Who profits? Not just those selling the explosives, but those who can buy legislators to rewrite laws in their favor. Your final comment, “We can only hope that judgment and courtesy will increase in years to come,” is as uplifting and empty as the most colorful firework. Alas, instead of fighting to enact and enforce legislation for a more just and secure society, most Americans have resigned themselves to merely watching (or complaining about) the impending detonation.

Comments

Bushloather1 1 year, 1 month ago

I am not answering your question to read the page. We are done here. Thinking about the KC Star. It is a better newspaper anyway.

1 year, 1 month ago

I've not been asked to answer any questions.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 1 month ago

Me neither. I guess we are just not special.

gr 1 year, 1 month ago

I noticed there are lots of 3rd party embedded requests to google type services. Think the questions are just another profiling spying aspect? In fact, many websites use embedded requests to google. Then there's google mail, google fiber. The cute little eyeballs in the name have become very annoying. The problem with a company having all this spied on information is that then the government sees it as a "resource".

gr 1 year, 1 month ago

(for some reason it won't let me post the comment as written -- hmmm) google dot com /transparencyreport/userdatarequests/US/

christy kennedy 1 year, 1 month ago

I read the letter on the Green edition and would not have read it if I had to answer a stupid advertizing question. Really, LJW, do you need to add your own stumbling blocks to the actual reading of newspapers?

As for the letter: It is a well written and accurate assessment of much of what is (has been allowed to go) wrong in this country for a while now.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 1 month ago

Come on now people! It is not a major hardship to click onto two buttons to answer two questions. I do not have any problems with it, and I consider our hometown online paper to be a very good one.

There are times when I think that only the naysayers post on her, and those who are positive and optimistic keep their opinions to themselves.

It is a bit of a stretch from fireworks in Lawrence to DC, Wall Street, Iraq, etc.

David Klamet 1 year, 1 month ago

I understand the World Co. needs revenue to operate. However enough information is collected about us now. Originally my stubbornness caused me to click the "answer another question" until I was able to see the article. When it took more than a hundred tries to get to the article, my curiousity was satisfied and only determination kept me going to the 150+ it took to see the article.

Don't know whether I will finally succumb and answer them or not, but I'm sure my activity on World Co. sites will be drastically be curtailed.

Tony Kisner 1 year, 1 month ago

Ray, to sum up. To Hell in a hand basket!