Archive for Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Letter: Fireworks menace

July 9, 2013

To the editor:

My husband and I have lived in North Lawrence for seven years. This year was by far the worst Fourth of July experience. Last night was the first night we were able to get a full night’s sleep and that was July 6. The fireworks have been ongoing for a week and, for three days around the actual holiday, the noise was unbelievable!

I didn’t bother to call the police because I didn’t think it would do any good. You have only to look at the streets where the debris is strewn on the pavement and left untouched to see where all the activity took place. What is going on here with all the illegal activity that goes unnoticed and allowed year after year? This goes beyond breaking the law and disturbing the peace; this sets neighbor against neighbor in a way that is unhealthy and volatile! If only one ticket was issued for the illegal use of fireworks, why can’t the issue of unruly conduct, littering or disturbing the peace be addressed?

If we were to leave every year to get away from all the noise and misconduct we would leave our property at risk to vandalism and possible damage by fire. You most likely wonder why we don’t just move to another part of town? It isn’t fair that we should have to disrupt our lives and our finances to escape a poorly run city and its excuses for not providing better law enforcement. Leaving our neighborhood is not the answer. Leaving a city that cannot provide a safe, secure environment for its citizens is!

Comments

kernal 9 months, 1 week ago

First offense minimum fine $500.00, 2nd offense minimum fine $700.00 fine plus minimum one day in jail. Set another person's property on fire: arson charge. That should take care of it. Other possible measure is county wide sales ban of fireworks. That would include mail order fireworks.

dougbe50 9 months, 1 week ago

Just like in grade school when everyone is punished for the actions of a few . This law was passed because a few people were not acting responsibly and considering others feelings. People now have to sneak around to not get caught doing fireworks doing some here and there at odd hours which is more dangerous and disturbing to people . Lift the ban and concentrate on the abusers.

bevy 9 months, 1 week ago

How about this crazy idea? Repeal the ban, and replace it with some stricter rules on when fireworks can be shot off? For instance, only the 3rd through the 5th, and must be done before midnight?

I remember when the ban went into effect, and the signs were posted at the city limits. Within 24 hours, every sign had been vandalized. To me that made it obvious that most people in town didn't want this ban. I would wager that most of the folks who flout it probably don't leave messes or shoot fireworks irresponsibly. Is it too much of a stretch to believe that those who are behaving really badly are doing so because it is exciting to flout the law and get away with it? It's a stupid law. Change it, and then you can save police resources to deal with those who continue to behave unsafely or break the more reasonable law.

Erin Graham 9 months, 1 week ago

Two Years ago, we had "neighbors" in a nearby large apartment complex on the NW side of town, in an otherwise quiet neighborhood, shoot fireworks off until mid August. Oh, and their mortars tipped and hit homes very close by. Not to mention the drought conditions..... It left burn marks on our windows, but fortunately that was all. Called LPD at that point...bc it'd gone from a major annoyance (many of us had jobs, kids, pets...and some also dealt with anxiety or ptsd.. one of which was a veteran) to a fire hazard. LPD responded, but the twits ran back in their apartment...the officer said he could see the idiot standing by the glass door, laughing his butt off, refusing to answer his door. Despite calls from many neighbors, contact from LPD (who had physical proof), the management company (which owned the apartments and townhouses in reference) essentially gave them a slap on the wrist (a note on their door basically saying "that's bad, mmmmkay?"). You'd think maybe they'd care that they had tenants that pose a liability risk to them and their property..........buuuuut that was par for the course with that company. Great thing is, they're one of the companies building a new megaplex! They can't handle the tenants they have now, so how are they going to handle a few hundred more?? Yeah, we got the he..ll..out of there.

swampyankee 9 months, 1 week ago

fireworks were landing on my neighbors roofs. LPD said it was not an emergency then my neighbors stopped lighting fireworks because they heard the cops were on the way I love fireworks but hate the people that do not play by the rules and the lack of police when it is needed

foggy 9 months, 1 week ago

i say add 20 hours of enforced community service AND a fine, possibly there wouldn't be nearly as many infractions. they should be required to go into neighborhoods and pick up all the resulting litter after 4 days of shooting fireworks--for 20 hrs in 98 degree heat. and yes, CLOSE or ban those fireworks stands IN Lawrence.

what really bugs me is that all these so-called responsible (lawbreaking) families need to do is drive 10 min out of town to do all the d---- fireworks. solution for everyone. go out of town to do your fireworks!

foggy 9 months, 1 week ago

it's not pleasant to have 4 plus days of fireworks if you have nervous cats or dogs. let alone people with PTSD. the point is it's banned in Lawrence. end of story. it's also a major fire hazard. even if you are careful, in this current drought, it's unsafe. what bugs me is that when i lived in E Lawrence, the cops were practically circling the streets for 3 days. now in W Lawrence, I call and call and report and report. nothing happens. god forbid, they should ticket some muckety muck in West Lawrence. hugely infuriating. and all the dispatchers just get pissed off and snotty and you wonder how often they are really reporting calls. don't think my neighborhood got ANY tickets and the fireworks were going for 4 hrs straight in all directions.

greywolf85203 9 months, 1 week ago

Okay there currently is a ban and does it help? No because there are so many people shooting fireworks for the police to stop. Also if your going to ban them shouldn't you ban the firework stands from the area?? I agree that there is a time and place. That 2-4 and 5th in the case of rain on the 4th is okay from 8-12 is respectable. After that however is not and those should be punished. Also if you do not like the sound wear ear plugs to bed. I do so on those days and sleep very well. Just as you have the right to complain others have the right to support it. Personally Fireworks have been apart of the 4th of July since that first year it was celebrated and they should not be banned just have rules that need to be heeded.

he_who_knows_all 9 months, 1 week ago

Like my mom used to say..."It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt."

verity 9 months, 1 week ago

When I lived in Lawrence, and it wasn't north Lawrence, the noise often went on for two weeks and until the 4:00 in the morning.

I did leave Lawrence, not for that reason particularly, but I certainly enjoy the 4th a lot more where the noise is limited mostly to one day and then not throughout the night. Generally I stay away from commenting on things that pertain only to Lawrence, but sometimes the disrespect of people for each other in your fair town seems remarkable.

People wonder why I left Lawrence for a smaller and quieter town. Lawrence has a reputation in other areas of Kansas for being an exciting city to live in and there are a few things I do miss. Unfortunately I couldn't enjoy a lot of it for various reasons---high costs, safety, inconvenience, noise. If people were considerate, a ban on fireworks wouldn't be needed, as well as any number of other laws that are complained about on these boards.

boiled 9 months, 1 week ago

Simple solution:

Obama unilaterally signs an executive order making it a federal crime to use fireworks. This is how America's problems are being solved---one by one.

gr 9 months, 1 week ago

"It isn’t fair that we should have to disrupt our lives and our finances to escape a poorly run city"

One question Jan, did you come to Lawrence before the ban or after it?

The_Big_W 9 months, 1 week ago

Nobody likes fireworks, nobody...

jane_doe 9 months, 1 week ago

Something isn't lining up here. You are angry at the apathetic enforcement of the fireworks ban but at the same time you are apathetic in your reporting of the illegal activity. What am I missing? Oh that is right. Writing this letter is the solution.

I'm lost...

Sam Crow 9 months, 1 week ago

Fireworks are illegal, bikes are not.

Pheps 9 months, 1 week ago

I feel the same way about bikers Jan.

Drfingo 9 months, 1 week ago

Seems to me that the 'ban' is just to relieve certain entities from liability. Similar to how it is illegal to leave your car running and unattended, in your own driveway, on a cold winter morning. No one recieves a citation for this, but just try and get your insurance to cover the theft... Just an opinion, I could be way off!

Michelle Reynolds 9 months, 1 week ago

What Jan didn't mention is the fireworks being shot off in north Lawrence for over a week happen from 7pm until 1am. You hear everything from regular firecrackers to 1/4 sticks of dynamite. The dynamite usual happens late in the evening. So, as you drift off to sleep you wake up to dynamite shacking your house. I don't mind the 3 days of freedom to legally shoot of fireworks. But it has been now longer than a week. I did call the police. They told me it was hard to catch the people setting off fireworks but they would try. Jan I agree with you. But you have to call the police not write the paper. The more that call the police will help them get the message we want results.

Sam Crow 9 months, 1 week ago

If you define freedom as having the ability to shoot fireworks, you have a lot to learn.

friendlyjhawk 9 months, 1 week ago

If you didn't call the police to register your complaint why are you putting this letter in the newspaper. Police do not drive down every street just to look for piles of firework debris. There really are other things more important then the after affects of what bother you. If you are already set against your neighbor then a call to the police won't be a surprise to your neighbor. Use the law correctly and you might win. Don't use it and you get nothing.

Liberty275 9 months, 1 week ago

If you are annoyed by freedom, you are getting what you deserve.

rlsd 9 months, 1 week ago

ILLEGAL just does not seem to have any meaning in language at all. If there is no effort to do anything about it, the fireworks will continues to get worse and it has. This year was the WORST ever. I love the Fourth and enjoy a few hours of fireworks but non-stop 4 or 5 days is far too much since it is ILLEGAL especially!!!!!!

racerx 9 months, 1 week ago

Jan: So, let me get this straight. You want the city and law enforcement to do something about the illegal fireworks, but you admit you didn't bother to call the Police to report the illegal use of fireworks in your neighborhood. Classic.

defensehawk 9 months, 1 week ago

11:00pm sounds really early unless you are one of the people that have to get up at 3:00am to go to work. I will admit I detest fireworks, always have and always will but the thing about the discussion in Lawrence is, it's BANNED!!! So either get rid of the Ban or write tickets.

wolfmn1958 9 months, 1 week ago

We live in a cul da sac. All of us neighbor's get together on the 4th an have a BBQ an shoot off fireworks. This was a great time for all. Then when we were done,we all pitched in an cleaned up our mess. I say legalize the shooting off of fireworks. Give people who don't clean up there mess tickets for littering. We were done by 11pm. I say shoot fireworks off only on the 4th. That way everyone will be happy. But this is Lawrence ks. The home of snobs an complainers. So they will get there way with the fireworks ban,an the good people who are not snobs an complainers will keep having a blast.

John Yocum 9 months, 1 week ago

Funny thing Is, we leave town so we CAN enjoy shooting fireworks. This Fourth, when we got back home, some folks near us were shooting things off until about 1:30. Both my dogs and I had a little trouble sleeping, but I just smiled and thought about the joys I had as a kid being able to shoot off fireworks with family and neighbors. It's once a year.

Number_1_Grandma 9 months, 1 week ago

With an inept city manager and a inept police Chief who uses selective enforcement of the laws, Lawrence has been taking over by the rats.

“Government! Three fourths parasitic and the other fourth Stupid fumbling.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

weiser 9 months, 1 week ago

And stay off my yard.....Sonny.

havecents 9 months, 1 week ago

Wait... You didn't call the police? Then quit griping!