Some taxpayers can take advantage of free assistance on their income tax returns in Lawrence, starting in February.
Law and business students at Kansas University will help prepare returns for any taxpayers who live in Kansas, Missouri or Illinois, have less than $51,000 in annual income and are not itemizing deductions.
Last year, students in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program prepared about 250 state and federal returns.
Appointments are first-come, first-served.
From Feb. 13 through April 15, students will be available to help at these times and locations:
• 6 p.m.-8:45 p.m. Mondays, Computer Lab 306D in Green Hall on the KU campus, 1535 W. 15th St.
• 1 p.m.-3:45 p.m. Tuesdays, Penn House, 1035 Pennsylvania St.
• 3 p.m.-4:45 p.m. Wednesdays, Computer Lab 306D in Green Hall.
• 3:45 p.m. Thursdays, Ballard Center, 708 Elm St., and 5 p.m.-6:45 p.m. Thursdays, Lawrence Housing Authority, 1600 Haskell Ave. No. 187
• 10-11:45 a.m. Saturdays, Computer Lab 306D in Green Hall.
There will be no sessions Feb. 23, March 2, March 4 or March 18-23. For more information on the VITA program, call 864-9227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
AARP Tax-Aide will also help prepare individual income tax returns for residents 60 or older this tax season, starting Monday. Sessions will take place on the second floor of Douglas County Senior Services, 745 Vermont St.
Appointments will be available noon to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays or 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
Taxpayers should call to reserve an appointment. To schedule, they can call 856-0365, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, starting now.
Douglas County Senior Services also can provide transportation to the tax appointments for residents who need it. To arrange transportation, call 865-6925.