Archive for Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mono-dramatic: Jayhawks sloppy in new jerseys

Jeff Withey (5) shoots a hook shot around a defender as Kevin Young (40) positions for a rebound in the Jayhawks 61-56 win against the Mountaineers Monday night at West Virginia University.

January 29, 2013

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over West Virginia

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 61-56 win over West Virginia on Jan. 28, 2013.

Box score

KU-WVU

— Kansas University’s new “monochromatic” men’s basketball jerseys, created by adidas, will live to see another day.

“We don’t have to burn ’em since we won,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ 61-56 victory over West Virginia on Monday night in WVU Coliseum.

“But I don’t know if we’ll wear ’em again,” Self added after a somewhat-scary game in which KU saw a 15-point first half lead dip to two in the second half.

Wearing blue tops and blue shorts and blue shoes with just a splash of red, the Jayhawks (19-1, 7-0) extended their winning streak to 18 games.

And they did it on a day they improved to No. 1 in one of the two national polls (USA Today). The Associated Press has KU at No. 2 behind Michigan.

“I like ’em,” KU center Jeff Withey said of the new jerseys, which all adidas schools have agreed to wear at least once. “It’s nice to have a little change now and then.”

Withey scored 13 points the first half in his new duds, helping KU to a 38-30 halftime advantage. He also had two of his game-high four blocks in the last 24 seconds, single-handedly making sure West Virginia didn’t cut into KU’s narrow 61-56 margin.

“My teammates did a good job getting me the ball early,” said Withey, who had 10 points as KU jumped to a 22-7 lead. “We didn’t want them to score late. Their guards decided the first time all game really to go inside, and I was able to get a couple blocks.”

Withey missed four of seven free throws on a night KU made 18 of 34.

“My free throws ... I’ve got to work on them more,” Withey said. “I don’t know if I’m rushing it or what. I’ve got to get in the gym and shoot 200 free throws and get it right.”

Self realizes missed free throws can lead to teams’ blowing 15-point leads on the road.

“If you make your free throws,” Self said, “it turns out at least visually to be a much better game. If we make our free throws the first half (instead of going 10 of 19), we probably could have scored 44, 45 points.”

KU freshman Ben McLemore scored six points (13 for the game) to increase a 46-44 lead to 52-46 at 9:04. Travis Releford hit a three, and the Jayhawks had rebuilt the lead to nine, 55-46, at 7:35. Of course, West Virginia (9-11, 2-5) never quit, cutting the margin to four points (60-56) at :24.5.

Kevin Young (seven points, 5-for-8 from line) hit one of two free throws at :24.4, making it necessary for Withey to play defense on the Mountaineers’ final possession. Withey also tapped the ball out after the second of the two blocks, and KU ran out the clock.

“We got off to a great start. We were really locked in ready to play,” Self said. “Probably as ready to play as we’ve been on the road at any time this year. We’re up 16-4 or whatever (at 12:28), and it should have been 22-4.

“I mean, missing a couple of layups and free throws … and then we don’t finish the half great, but it wasn’t really because of poor play, it was because of missed free throws or just turnovers that led to baskets.

“You can never finish a half the way we finished it (on Elijah Johnson turnover and bucket to beat the buzzer by Jabarie Hinds). We didn’t shoot the ball well from the free-throw line in the second half (8-of-15). We had some veterans play not very smart, then don’t make free throws and made just some awful, awful turnovers. But, we kept them from scoring and did a good job defensively.”

Self singled out Releford, who had 15 points off 7-of-9 shooting.

“Travis was terrific the whole game,” Self said. “He guards their leading scorer in Big 12 play, he gets a goose egg from the field, and he (Travis) scores 15 points on eight shots. So he was by far our best player.”

Releford held Eron Harris to two points off 0-for-5 shooting in 25 minutes.

“But we’ve got to be a lot tougher and do some things. But, hey, if you go 22 of 34 if you just shoot your free throws awful, we’re still going to win by 10 or 12. And we would have taken that before the game. We just didn’t shoot them awful tonight,” Self said.

KU will meet Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

White plays in front of family: Andrew White III, who is from Chester, Va., played six minutes in front of about 15 family members, including Andrew White I and II. He missed two shots and three of four free throws but had four boards.

This, that: Withey had four blocks and is seven shy of Greg Ostertag’s school record 258. ... Prior to Monday, West Virginia had an 80.7 winning percentage against teams making their first visit to WVU Coliseum (126-31). ... KU grabbed 36 rebounds to West Virginia’s 27, tying the Mountaineers season-low. KU has outrebounded 17 of 20 opponents. ... KU shot 54.1 percent (20-for-37), the ninth time KU has shot over 50 percent. ... KU held the Mountaineers without a field goal for more than seven minutes to start the game, jumping out to a 14-2 lead. WVU hit its first bucket at 12:36. .. KU hit 18-of-34 free throws (52.9 percent), most misses from the line this season (previously 11 at Ohio State and vs. Iowa State). ... Releford has contributed double-digit points in 15-straight games. His 15 points were his most in Big 12 play this season and his most in a league game since scoring a career-high 28 points at Oklahoma (1/7/12).

Comments

Biscayne 1 year, 10 months ago

Them jerseys are ugly! at least on tv.

Sue McDaniel 1 year, 10 months ago

I do not like the jerseys, it is like we are trying to hide!

lunacydetector 1 year, 10 months ago

get rid of the uniforms...they're too stealthy

peteyg 1 year, 10 months ago

peteyg

Who's Who? Unable to read from a distance and with ESPN coverage they are too far away to recognize. Really need the names and numbers visible. Don't llike Bill's chaw, either!

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe they should adapt gray or gold or silver or platinum as yet another contrast color to sell more product. Black is fashionable with everything.

It's hard to recognize Michigan State except by Izzo on the sideline and the usual winning score.

tyson travis 1 year, 10 months ago

Ugly game, the free throws were bad, reminded me of the Championship game against Syracuse in 03, where we lost because we couldn't even make half of our charities. If you want a different look on the road, how about mixing up the red and blue uniforms, say red shorts with blue jerseys or something like that. I can identify our regular starters in stealth uniforms, but telling some of the bench players apart gets challenging. No black, please, it's not one of our colors.

Topple 1 year, 10 months ago

I was really glad that KU wasn't going the way of some of these other colleges (Baylor) with their jerseys. We kept things pretty simple and clean...and then there was last night's jersey. Please never wear those things again. Contrast!

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

What were they doing in New Jerseys anyway? Morgantown is in West Virginia.

/here all week

DONOLOVER 1 year, 10 months ago

I do not like the uniforms!! The color is good but I cannot see the player number. What was Adidas thinking!!

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

Honestly, it just looked like they were tired, more than anything. The terrible free throws, terrible passing, I mean these have been issues but not so glaringly so. With the game on Saturday, and one 48 hours later, with them standing around so much on offense and defense it looked like they just had no gas.

naturalist 1 year, 10 months ago

I love the color and style of the uniforms but it was impossible to identify the players. How frustrating. It made it hard to stay focused on the game. Please don't do this to Jayhawk fans again. Get some numbers the TV audience can read so we can follow the game.

drnater 1 year, 10 months ago

How blind are you people? How many people are on a basketball team? After 19 games you still cant recognize the same 8 that play almost every game? I can understand football when theres 70+ members to have to memorize, but you all sound like a bunch of spoiled babies. If you cant tell who the person on the court is at this point in the season, then you're a lost cause.

jesse499 1 year, 10 months ago

I can tell who's who but still doesn't make those uniforms any less ugly.

someguy 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't believe that someone at KU Athletics signed a contract that allows a foreign company to determine what uniforms the basketball team wears.

Robert Holmes 1 year, 10 months ago

Do you honestly not realize how much colleges get for free when they sign with Nike, Adidas, etc., etc.? The only stipulation for all the free goods and ugly uniforms was to wear them one time this season. Easy money.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

If we don't start shooting free throws at a better percentage, other teams will employ a Hack-a-Hawk strategy late in close games. That strategy needs be successful only one time in the tournament for our season to end in disaster.

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

Off night. We're at like 70 something percent averaged for the season.

Topple 1 year, 10 months ago

No excuse for players to be shooting 59% like Young. That's a complete joke.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, this issue sort of reminds me of those putrid black uniforms that the football team popped up with at halftime on some non-noteworthy game this year.

Or the awful funeral home black band unifiorms that someone bought some years ago.

Seems that for a major university, KU lacks anyone in positions of decvision-making lack any sort of style, color, suitability or common sense.

ShortyAbner 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not worried about the free throws. This is the first game we've been bad from the stripe. It's going to happen...

lucyjj 1 year, 10 months ago

At least the uniforms are KU colors. I'm still a little irked at the black football uniforms worn in that one game. Since when has black been a KU color? Don't mess with the colors!

Angela Heili 1 year, 10 months ago

Not a fan of the uniforms. They made them look like smurfs!

lunacydetector 1 year, 10 months ago

it was the weird uniforms that made k.u. play bad...too distracting to the eyes and lack of contrast made them blurry. worse than coach brown's red uniforms that sucked.

Prairielander 1 year, 10 months ago

LOVED the unis! But they should never be worn in a game again. I just hope I can buy one (haven't been able to find online yet). I imagine that (merchandising) was the plan. If it brings in some extra bucks, it was worth that one game of wondering "who just made that stupid pass"?

naturalist 1 year, 10 months ago

drnater: Not all of us have ESPN at home on a giant screen. I was amongst many many people who have to go to a bar to see the game and can't sit right in front of a big screen. We could not make everyone out and we know who everyone is. Trust me, it isn't so easy and not all TVs are created equal either. Give me a break.

Topple 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry naturalist. If you're not equally fanatical about sports, technology, your cable package, etc. as drnater then you aren't worth the time.

drnater 1 year, 10 months ago

That's funny, considering I was in the back of a bar as well. I had no problems figuring out whom each player was.

1 year, 10 months ago

I vote NO on the blah uniforms..........

Robert Holmes 1 year, 10 months ago

Way too many stupid passes especially from seniors. Is going to meet the pass a lost art as well? Hey, we're spoiled by wins at KU and that's good. I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss (as the old saying goes). Those uniforms need retired! On tv I honestly couldn't tell many times who was bringing the ball up the court, rebounding, or shooting at various time. I thought Baylor's looked ugly and now I know why. Ours are ugly also. No need to try and duplicate ugly Nike uniforms.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think much of those uniforms; they have a dull look, like Kansas State's uniforms (I don't think much of their's, either).

Worse than the uniforms was the ESPN announcing crew's broadcasting of the game. They spent almost the entire first half expounding their views of general game strategy theory, along with endless biographical talking points on players, coaches, the history of the respective programs, etc., etc. while game action was underway. All broadcast network announcers do this every single game, not just ESPN's announcers, and it's absolutely maddening to listen to. I gave up at halftime, turned on my radio and listened to the second half with Bob and Greg who know what the hell they're doing and stick to the subject -- the game.

With all the high-powered minds in Lawrence who possess keen knowledge of how to play with electronic devices, somebody should start up a business selling signal delay devices that coordinate the TV visual signal with the KU Network radio signal. This would let Jayhawk fans in sports bars and private homes in and around Lawrence finally, finally watch and listen to these games the right way -- the KU Way.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 10 months ago

A day late reading your response, but if you're reading this please accept my sincere thanks. I'm gonna buy one of those puppies!

jayhawkjohn71 1 year, 10 months ago

Ugly! Ugly! Even the announcers complained they could not see the names on the back. Whoever designed the unis should be fired!

William Weissbeck 1 year, 10 months ago

Still too many turnovers and poor FT %. We've got to significantly improve one of these. Teams we will face down the road apply perimeter pressure to disrupt any motion offense, or like MSU and Syracuse make the interior pass very difficult.

bjcoleman35 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope they left the new uniforms in West Virginia along with the way they have been playing.. Victories are good and always welcomed and never unwanted.

But I am curious with as weak as the Big 12 is this season, what happens when KU gets into the Tournament.. I am hoping for a run to the SHIP but could stall out.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 10 months ago

Lots of whiny babies in here. Uniforms looked great!