Archive for Saturday, January 26, 2013

No injuries reported in Indiana Street fire

January 26, 2013

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews respond to a fire at a house in the 900 block of Indiana Street Saturday morning about 8 a.m. There were no injuries and the fire was under control by 9 a.m.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews responded to a fire at a house in the 900 block of Indiana Street about 8 a.m. Saturday.

There were no injuries, and the fire was under control by 9 a.m. The first firefighters on the scene reported smoke but not flames, and the house showed damage on its south side. The occupants had evacuated the house immediately on reporting the fire, and it was not clear Saturday if they would be displaced.

Comments

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

I think the grill in the picture kind of tells the story. I believe it is illegall to grill on a deck, hope they don't forget to fine them. Hope they had renter's insurance.

auntmimi210 1 year, 10 months ago

Geez, assume much? Yes, I'm sure they were grilling at 8 am on a Saturday. Grilled eggs anyone? ... And BTW, I believe it is illegal to spell illegal illegall.

Claire Williams 1 year, 10 months ago

I keep my grill on my deck when it is not in use.

marcirae18 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you kidding me? How in the world can you tell that the fire started because of a grill sitting on the deck? If the fire started from the grill then the outside of the house would be more damaged!!!

otto 1 year, 10 months ago

LOL channel 9 news just reported it was a grill fire that spread to the structure.

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

You're right, that was funny although the "Yes, I'm sure they were grilling at 8 am on a Saturday. Grilled eggs anyone?" was really, really funny too. 8 a.m. is kind of late unless all you cook is hamburgers and hot dogs. But once you have had bacon cooked on a grill, any other way just won't taste as good. Have done eggs too, even tofu and pizza. Real BBQ people can cook just about anything, at any time on a grill. But we should not rule out that they had cooked sometime earlier and neglected to put out the coals properly

tyson travis 1 year, 10 months ago

Not a good idea to grill on the deck, looks like heat went up under the eaves by that angled window. Takes a few hours to smoke a pork butt, maybe it was early prep for a postgame party.